Holy Fools: A Novel (P.S.) by Joanne Harris

Holy Fools: A Novel (P.S.) (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Joanne Harris

Member:exlibrislady
Title:Holy Fools: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Joanne Harris
Info:Harper Perennial (2005), Paperback, 384 pages

Holy Fools by Joanne Harris (2003)

English (28)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (30)
Oh my this was so much better than the last book I read by this author....So much better that I didn't skip any parts and I read it in one day.

Soeur Auguste has been living a quiet convent life for the past five years with her daughter. In her previous life, Soeur Agust was the high rope dancer L'Ailee/Juliett and kept company with the infamous LeMerle, a man of darkness & conjuring talents.

While in town watching a traveling theatrical troupe, a large Black Bird appears with a fleeting glimpse of LeMerle. The darkness of her past, which has been foretold in the Tarot is about to come at her full-force...

I have one comment: the Tarot she uses (in every book) ALWAYS turn up the Same Cards....... I think that's redundant and gives people with no knowledge of Tarot an incorrect impression.

All the same, I completely enjoyed the book...the tension was gripping and had me in its thrall. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
A good story well told. Starts as a slow paced convent story from France in 1609 but ends quicker - almost a thriller. Very good.
Read Jan 2005 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 30, 2015 |
bought CDG2 for 11,70€ on 19/08/2007
read 26/05/08

Great book. I think I preferred Chocolat, but this is also quite a good read. ( )
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
Easy to read and fun. Joanne Harris' books are always wonderful, though ever since reading Chocolat I tend to think of them like the Belgian chocolates shaped like shells: very sweet, but you can have too much. There are some gorgeous descriptions.

The themes and characters, though, are quite similar to those in Joanne Harris' other work. Juliette shares a lot of characteristics with Vianne; Fleur with Anouk. Juliette's cantrips and her herbs are very reminiscent of Vianne. LeMerle is very like Mose from Sleep, Pale Sister. Etc. The only book of hers that, to me, stands out as quite different from the others is Runemarks, which is based on a different sort of mythology altogether.

I think if I read Joanne Harris' books all at once, the similarities would be too much. As light reading in between other books, though, it's lovely. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
An enjoyable tale and set in a time period similar to many of my recent reads ... maybe because I was listening to the audiobook I did start to get lost amongst all the characters once we moved into the convent.

The story offered a fairly unsurprising twist towards the end. Relaxing reading but not something I would list as a favourite Joanne Harris work. ( )
  wungu | May 17, 2011 |
To Serafina
It begins with the players. Seven of them, six men and a girl, she in sequins and ragged lace, they in leathers and silk.

Joanne Harris, bestselling author of Chocolat, presents her most accomplished novel yet -- an intoxicating concoction that blends theology and reason, deception and masquerade, with a dash of whimsical humor and a soupçon of sensuality.

Britanny, 1610. Juliette, a one-time actress and rope dancer, is forced to seek refuge among the sisters of the abbey of Sainte Marie-de-la-mer. Reinventing herself as Soeur Auguste, Juliette makes a new life for herself and her young daughter, Fleur.

But when the kindly abbess dies, Juliette's comfortable existence begins to unravel. The abbey's new leader is the daughter of a corrupt noble family, and she arrives with a ghost from Juliette's past -- Guy LeMerle, a man she has every reason to fear and hate.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:37 -0400)

Set in 17th-century France, this is the story of Juliette, one-time actress and rope-dancer, who is forced to seek refuge amongst the sisters of the remote abbey of Saint Marie-de-la Mer. Reinvented as Soeur Auguste, Juliette is able to make a new life for herself and her young daughter, Fleur. This is threatened when the abbess dies and the new appointment, Isabelle, brings an old enemy, Guy LeMerle, with her.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,721,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible