Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly…

Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling (edition 2010)

by Christopher Koelle

1951160,388 (3.59)1
Member:JeffV
Title:Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling
Authors:Christopher Koelle
Info:Chronicle Books (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 222 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Non-fiction, humor, sports, bicycling

Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling by Eben Weiss (Author)

It's about bikes, bike riding and bike riders ... and it's funny ... ( )
  beebowallace | Aug 10, 2014 |
The opposite of snobbery. Good solid advice and really pretty hilarious. A must-read for every biker. Thanks, Juanita. ( )
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
So help me, I LOLed. Quirky look at cycling cultures, history and gear -- definitely an NYC focus, but funny for anyone who rides and follows cycling trends. ( )
  epersonae | Mar 30, 2013 |
While the book is more geared towards encouraging novices who may be afraid to ride in traffic, it does have enough cycling related jokes to make the seasoned daily bike rider chuckle often.

Just because it's written for novices, don't assume that it's going to tell you how to fix a flat, or do routine (or any) maintenance - it does tell you you need to know how to do such things, then directs you to use the ever so handy Internet to look it up. If you want a how-to book or tips and tricks, look elsewhere.

But if you want witty observations on cycling, you've come to the right place. It pokes fun at the man I saw this morning with a huge trash bag full of something balanced precariously on his handlebars. It makes fun of the teenager I saw riding her bike the wrong way down the opposite side of the street (and IN the street, no less!). It makes fun of the guy who honked his horn to let me know he was there despite the fact that I heard his engine and his stereo from half a block away (yes sir, I was enjoying the sound of my tires on the road, the birds chirping and the wind in the trees but thank you ever so much for rendering me deaf). It makes fun of the driver who nearly ran me over so he could get out of his expensive luxury car a whole 20 seconds faster. It makes fun of the guy on the road bike who blew past me like I was standing still. It makes fun of my co-workers who continually are amazed that I'm willing to bike a mere 10 miles to work once a week. It even made fun of me! No one is spared and he makes fun of every type of cyclist.

However, the book does have it's weaknesses. The major one is that it's very NYC centric - understandable given it's a NYC blogger. But not every town is like NYC. A chapter on the historical bike meccas of NYC and its former suburbs doesn't do all that much for me, given that I've never heard of the streets he's naming. Also, he keeps emphasizing the "freedom" a bike has over public transportation and cars. Yet, most people live in towns where a car is faster and more versatile than a bike. Bikes almost always have public transportation beat hands down though.

Next, why does he even have a chapter on bike repair/maintenance at all? Instead of just saying "you need to know how to do this -- go look it up!" or "Carry basic tools and and a spare tube or you'll eventually be stranded," why not tell a story of a time when he was caught without them? Or saw someone without them? It would be more in line with the rest of the book if he'd approached it from that angle.

It could have used a chapter on maintaining your dignity under extreme circumstances - such as how to recover from an embarrassing accident like grazing a pole and ending up sprawled across the ground right in front of a bus stop full of gawkers who are snickering at you.

Regardless of the flaws, I enjoyed the book a lot. He's a self-proclaimed curmudgeon and I can't think of a single person that he didn't insult, but it's done in such a lighthearted way that I was snickering as he did so. ( )
  Melanti | Mar 29, 2013 |
The best book about cycling ever. ( )
  bibliosk8er | Aug 14, 2012 |

Weiss, EbenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, Gregorey RyanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koelle, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. — H. G. Wells
Dedicated to Ruth Weiss.
Success is making it onto her bookshelf in book form.
As humans, we've invented a lot of things.

Cycling is exploding in a good way. Urbanites everywhere, from ironic hipsters to earth-conscious commuters, are taking to the bike like aquatic mammals to water. BikeSnobNYC cycling's most prolific, well-known, hilarious, and anonymous blogger brings a fresh and humorous perspective to the most important vehicle to hit personal transportation since the horse. Bike Snob treats readers to a laugh-out-loud rant and rave about the world of bikes and their riders, and offers a unique look at the ins and outs of cycling, from its history and hallmarks to its wide range of bizarre practitioners. Throughout, the author lampoons the missteps, pretensions, and absurdities of bike culture while maintaining a contagious enthusiasm for cycling itself. Bike Snob is an essential volume for anyone who knows, is, or wants to become a cyclist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:59 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,784,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible