Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Poison Study (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Maria V. Snyder

3,2632371,691 (4.12)1 / 220
Member:HunyBadger
Title:Poison Study
Authors:Maria V. Snyder
Info:Mira (2008), Edition: Original, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2012, Fantasy, YA, magic, ebook

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (2005)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (espertus)
    espertus: Both stories of strong but vulnerable young women struggling both for survival and to reconcile with their consciences what they've had to do to survive.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (stephxsu, MyriadBooks)
    stephxsu: Similarly intelligent, courageous, and resourceful heroines struggling against a fully realized world. Excellent stuff!
    Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce (cecilypk)
    cecilypk: both have strong female leads with budding romance and great plots
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters, CrochetDancer)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (AmethystFaerie)
    The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (litaddictedbrit, lottpoet)
    litaddictedbrit: Similarly strong female lead and great magic twists
    Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn (aboulomania)
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Archangel by Sharon Shinn (crazybatcow)
    Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder (RoxieF)
    Circle of Magic Quartet by Tamora Pierce (terriko)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (joyfulgirl)
    Sandry's Book by Tamora Pierce (terriko)
    terriko: Poison study reminded me of the whole Circle of Magic series, and the Circle Opens one.
    A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer (infiniteletters)
    The Well of Shades by Juliet Marillier (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Valek reminds me of Faolan.
    A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (mamaie)
    mamaie: I read A Discovery of Witches right after Poison Study; A Discovery of witches is more graphic.
    Angel-Seeker by Sharon Shinn (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar romantic fantasy themes. Mature but not graphic.
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Poison Study is more graphic.
    The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (infiniteletters)
    Scent of Magic by Andre Norton (infiniteletters)

English (234)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (238)
5/5 stars
I post all my reviews to athroneofbooks.booklikes.com

I never had a single complaint with the book. I find assassins more interesting than most people and read about them and play them in video games often. The characters were solid so far, the setting and how it became was intriguing, and there was enough mystery behind Yelena’s past to keep someone interested from beginning to end. As someone who doesn’t like romance as the main focus I thought it was well done, by the time the love interest was presented I loved them both and was rooting for things to work. Everything about this book worked for me. Snyder has set up a wonderful series that I can’t wait to continue. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jul 15, 2015 |
A very unique fantasy world with cool characters and cool magic and cool fighting and scary villains and horrifying horrors and...

I don't even know how to sum up the wonderfulness of this book. It's the kind of book I can't put down, even though I've read it three times before. I know what's going to happen, but I keep reading it because I want to relive it again and again. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 9, 2015 |
This books can easily become one of the best books I read in 2015. Why? Because it just simply excellent.

Set in a fantasy world where Ixia and Sitia, two rival countries, existed, Poison Study is a beautiful combo set of magic and and action. The fact that this world has both magic and military, a mix between olden and modern days fascinated me. You can’t find a book where people use magic and have ambassadors, while others wear uniforms and have different districts in a country. It brings crazy awesomeness in a whole new level.

Yelena, a prisoner for committed murder was offered to become the new food taster-and risk being assassinated by anyone who attempt to kill the Commander of Ixia. The last taster died because of, yep, poisoning. So this book actually show you how risky it is being a food taster.

I love Yelena. She is strong, stubborn, and determined. Having a dark past and possibly poison in your food everyday is not anyone dream life, I bet. But despite all of the unpleasant aspect in life, Yelena never give up and gained many respects from people, which include having many enemies along side.

So we have a brave, stubborn food taster, now what we need is an assassin. This is when Valek come on to the stage. Dark, impassive, beautiful guy? Check. Dangerous, deadly assassin that can appear and disappear in a blink of eyes? Check. So there you go, a hot, eh, cool male protagonist that melt everyone heart.

I love love love Maria V. Snyder’s writing. I love the action and love interest in this book. I love all of the unique characters that caused me sad (and happy) tears throughout the book. I definitely recommend this book.

Read this review and more on https://bookisglee.wordpress.com ( )
  mariananhi | Jul 1, 2015 |
Would give it a 5 stars but the end was weak especially when it came to Valek. ( )
  Jezel72 | Jun 11, 2015 |
great book ( )
  reneputt | Apr 28, 2015 |
Shivers, obsession, sleepless nights—these are the results not of one of the milder poisons that novice food-taster Yelena must learn during her harrowing job training but of newcomer Snyder's riveting fantasy that unites the intelligent political focus of George R.R. Martin with a subtle yet potent romance. Through a stroke of luck, Yelena escapes execution in exchange for tasting the food of the Commander, ruler of Ixia. Though confined to a dank prison cell and doomed to a painful death, Yelena slowly blooms again, caught up in castle politics. But some people are too impatient to wait for poison to finish off Yelena. With the help of Valek, her steely-nerved, cool-eyed boss and the Commander's head of security, she soon discovers that she has a starring role to play in Ixia's future—a role that could lead to her being put to death as a budding magician even if she hits each cue perfectly. The first in a series, this is one of those rare books that will keep readers dreaming long after they've read it.

Maria V. Snyderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snyder, Maria V.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Ze zaten vrolijk met je te praten terwijl ze je vergif toedienden. - Kathy Brandt, een goede vriendin die de strijd verloor, ondanks chemotherapie
To my husband, Rodney, for all the support he has given, is giving and will give. I'm spoiled rotten.

In loving memory of Frances Snyder, Jeanette and Joseph Scirrotto.

"They would talk to you and make jokes while they were feeding you poison."--Kathy Brandt on chemotherapy; a good friend who lost the battle
Locked in darkness that surrounded me like a coffin, I had nothing to distract me from my memories.
"But you’ve slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart.” “That sounds more like a poison than a person,” was all I could say. His confession had both shocked and thrilled me. “Exactly,” Valek replied. “You have poisoned me."
"What have I earned from you, Valek? Loyalty? Respect? Trust?" "You have my attention. But give me what I want, and you can have everything."
"Yelena, you've driven me crazy. You've caused me considerable trouble and I've contemplated ending your life twice since I've known you...but you slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart."

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear!

Locked in a coffin-like darkness, there is nothing to distract me from my memories of killing Reyad. He deserved to die—but according to the law, so do I. Here in Ixia, the punishment for murder is death. And now I wait for the hangman's noose.

But the same law that condemns me may also save me. Ixia's food taster—chosen to ensure that the Commander's food is not poisoned—has died. And by law, the next prisoner who is scheduled to be executed—me—must be offered the position.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

Yelena, about to be executed, is offered the job of food taster to the Commander of Ixia, but politics and magic keep threatening her life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,409,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible