Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Poison Study (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Maria V. Snyder

3,1252291,800 (4.12)1 / 214
Member:HunyBadger
Title:Poison Study
Authors:Maria V. Snyder
Info:Mira (2008), Edition: Original, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2012, Fantasy, YA, magic, ebook

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (2005)

Recently added byEyrinnia, kilofkil, NineLarks, rainbowbrains, ikeyjamehoward, Pontiy, private library, pdbkwm
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (espertus)
    espertus: Both stories of strong but vulnerable young women struggling both for survival and to reconcile with their consciences what they've had to do to survive.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (stephxsu, MyriadBooks)
    stephxsu: Similarly intelligent, courageous, and resourceful heroines struggling against a fully realized world. Excellent stuff!
    Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce (cecilypk)
    cecilypk: both have strong female leads with budding romance and great plots
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (joyfulgirl)
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (AmethystFaerie)
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn (aboulomania)
    The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (litaddictedbrit, lottpoet)
    litaddictedbrit: Similarly strong female lead and great magic twists
    Archangel by Sharon Shinn (crazybatcow)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters, CrochetDancer)
    Circle of Magic Quartet by Tamora Pierce (terriko)
    A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer (infiniteletters)
    Sandry's Book by Tamora Pierce (terriko)
    terriko: Poison study reminded me of the whole Circle of Magic series, and the Circle Opens one.
    Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder (RoxieF)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (mamaie)
    mamaie: I read A Discovery of Witches right after Poison Study; A Discovery of witches is more graphic.
    The Well of Shades by Juliet Marillier (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Valek reminds me of Faolan.
    Angel-Seeker by Sharon Shinn (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar romantic fantasy themes. Mature but not graphic.
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Poison Study is more graphic.
    The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (infiniteletters)
    Scent of Magic by Andre Norton (infiniteletters)

English (226)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (230)
Poison Study
4 Stars

Sentenced to execution for murder, Yelena is granted a reprieve when she is offered a position as the Commander’s food taster. The book chronicles Yelena’s training in identifying poisons, her developing relationship with master assassin and security chief, Valek, and her discovery of a far-reaching conspiracy aimed at undermining the Commander’s rule and subjecting the people of Ixia to a sadistic and manipulative tyrant.

It should be noted that despite its classification as Young Adult by numerous readers, Poison Study contains adult themes and situations including death, rape, torture, and sex although none of these is described in graphic or vivid detail.

The book has all the right elements: Intrigue and danger, loyalty and betrayal, romance and magic. The world building is detailed and compelling, and the characterization is engaging with a strong and resourceful heroine and an intense and stoic hero.

Nevertheless, the writing style is somewhat simplistic and erratic at times, and the plot is quite predictable. Moreover, there are one or two facets that I found problematic but other readers might not such as the flowery descriptions of Valek and Yelena’s sexual encounters and the inclusion of a ghost, which is completely unnecessary and irrelevant both to the plot and Yelena’s characterization.

All in all, this is a fast-paced and entertaining read and I look forward to reading more about Yelena in the next book. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Aug 20, 2014 |
"There is more than one way to poison a person’s heart, and it doesn’t even require a meal.”

Poison Study was a refreshing read. The plot was entirely unique and obviously original! This book has some slow moments but it is okay. It was action-packed and full of surprising twists!

“I peered deeper and found my soul. A little tattered and with some holes, but there all the same. It had always been there, I realized with shock.”

Yelena. Now that's what you call a fierce heroine! I admire her determination. After I discovered how she was in the past, wow. She didn't come out unharmed. In fact, ghosts from her past haunted her. Literally. But coming out of that experience and still willing to stand and prove herself? Just amazing. She is "delicate in appearance, but with a strength unnoticed at first glance" as Valek says.

Valek. Dude, how awesome is Valek? Pretty awesome! I grinned like an idiot everytime he calls Yelena "love". It was adorable! Valek values loyalty and he's very compassionate, too. Yup, another book boyfriend.

“Yelena, you've driven me crazy. You've caused me considerable trouble and I've contemplated ending your life twice since I've known you...but you slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart.”

I LOVE Ari and Janco! They were really like Yelena's older brothers. I like how Yelena earned their loyalty. They were very protective of her! The other characters are great, too! They amused the hell out of me.

So yeah. Looking forward to "Magic Study" even though everyone seems to find the rest of this series disappointing. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Just bought the book from half.com for 1.05 {plus 3.49 s/h}..This is first time Ive used half...so hopefully it'll work out okay {factoring in Hurricane Sandy with this order}...

Since I've ♥'d books that Ari has read, I ordered this one...Hopefully I will like this one too..and at least I get good deals on the books I have to buy now {used to get my books at the library}...So, if I dont like them, I wont be TOO upset lol...

Edit: 11/9/12

Finally got the book today..Hopefully I will be able to start on it soon....

Yet another Edit: 11/18/2012

I started the book last night actually and only on Chapter 3. It's a bit of a slow read, but so far, a whole heck of a lot better than that last read I had Stargazer...I wont even get into that...This is about Poison Study..And hopefully I will like it more than I expect to. I guess we will all see... :o)

This is the Cover I have, now, don't get me wrong...I like it and its very nice Pretty. but I don't love it like I do the other cover I came across and loved...Even though it had little to do with the book, its still nice beautiful:

This is the cover I love:

Sigh....

______________________________________

Final Thoughts 11/26/2012

The only reason this book didn't get a 2 was because it wasn't a horrible book.

For me personally, it was just too detailed about too many things. It could have been at least 80-100 pages shorter for me. Most times, all I need is just enough for my imagination to get a glimpse of whats going on around the scene at that moment...

It had many good moments..but not enough for it to be a 4 or 5...but wasn't bad enough to deserve a 1 or 2....

I don't see myself going on to book 2. This would be something that I would watch but not read again....

I gave this book a chance because I am trying different genres under the YA Fiction. And I am willing to try other areas in contemporary and adult reading...

I notice a lot of people liked or loved this book...And it's good that they did...but for me...I hope my next book makes me dive in and not want to come up for air....

I haven't enjoyed any books the way I really would have liked to (with the exception of one)

So, hopefully my next pick will have me not wanting to come out until I've finished that last word! The next book I was going to go on to..I probably won't...Because I have struggled with it before...

So, off to my next reading adventure...

:-)
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
Yelena's about to be executed for murder when she gets offered the chance to be the commanders new food taster, a quick, almost painless death, or a prolonged, excruciating one? She chooses the latter and it goes from there.

Valek is awesome, might as well just start there. He strikes me as the intimidating type who people just assume came from a pod or something, that they can't even imagine what kind of private life he could have. He definitely gains depth throughout and is more than just an assassin by the end.

Yelena's a great character too, head-strong, independent, and way more intelligent than most heroines these days.

I really liked the relationships between all of the characters, particularly Ari and Janco, I always love books that have the light-hearted friends in the background.

This is a great book, I definitely give this 5/5. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Shivers, obsession, sleepless nights—these are the results not of one of the milder poisons that novice food-taster Yelena must learn during her harrowing job training but of newcomer Snyder's riveting fantasy that unites the intelligent political focus of George R.R. Martin with a subtle yet potent romance. Through a stroke of luck, Yelena escapes execution in exchange for tasting the food of the Commander, ruler of Ixia. Though confined to a dank prison cell and doomed to a painful death, Yelena slowly blooms again, caught up in castle politics. But some people are too impatient to wait for poison to finish off Yelena. With the help of Valek, her steely-nerved, cool-eyed boss and the Commander's head of security, she soon discovers that she has a starring role to play in Ixia's future—a role that could lead to her being put to death as a budding magician even if she hits each cue perfectly. The first in a series, this is one of those rare books that will keep readers dreaming long after they've read it.

Maria V. Snyderprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snyder, Maria V.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Ze zaten vrolijk met je te praten terwijl ze je vergif toedienden. - Kathy Brandt, een goede vriendin die de strijd verloor, ondanks chemotherapie
To my husband, Rodney, for all the support he has given, is giving and will give. I'm spoiled rotten.

In loving memory of Frances Snyder, Jeanette and Joseph Scirrotto.

"They would talk to you and make jokes while they were feeding you poison."--Kathy Brandt on chemotherapy; a good friend who lost the battle
Locked in darkness that surrounded me like a coffin, I had nothing to distract me from my memories.
"But you’ve slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart.” “That sounds more like a poison than a person,” was all I could say. His confession had both shocked and thrilled me. “Exactly,” Valek replied. “You have poisoned me."
"What have I earned from you, Valek? Loyalty? Respect? Trust?" "You have my attention. But give me what I want, and you can have everything."
"Yelena, you've driven me crazy. You've caused me considerable trouble and I've contemplated ending your life twice since I've known you...but you slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart."

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear!

Locked in a coffin-like darkness, there is nothing to distract me from my memories of killing Reyad. He deserved to die—but according to the law, so do I. Here in Ixia, the punishment for murder is death. And now I wait for the hangman's noose.

But the same law that condemns me may also save me. Ixia's food taster—chosen to ensure that the Commander's food is not poisoned—has died. And by law, the next prisoner who is scheduled to be executed—me—must be offered the position.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:15 -0400)

Yelena, about to be executed, is offered the job of food taster to the Commander of Ixia, but politics and magic keep threatening her life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible