Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Poison Study (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Maria V. Snyder

3,3522411,621 (4.12)2 / 221
Title:Poison Study
Authors:Maria V. Snyder
Info:Mira (2008), Edition: Original, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:2012, Fantasy, YA, magic, ebook

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (Author) (2005)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (espertus)
    espertus: Both stories of strong but vulnerable young women struggling both for survival and to reconcile with their consciences what they've had to do to survive.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (stephxsu, MyriadBooks)
    stephxsu: Similarly intelligent, courageous, and resourceful heroines struggling against a fully realized world. Excellent stuff!
    Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce (cecilypk)
    cecilypk: both have strong female leads with budding romance and great plots
    Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith (AmethystFaerie)
    The Decoy Princess by Dawn Cook (infiniteletters, CrochetDancer)
    The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (litaddictedbrit, lottpoet)
    litaddictedbrit: Similarly strong female lead and great magic twists
    Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Archangel by Sharon Shinn (crazybatcow)
    Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn (aboulomania)
    Circle of Magic Quartet by Tamora Pierce (terriko)
    Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder (RoxieF)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (joyfulgirl)
    A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer (infiniteletters)
    Sandry's Book by Tamora Pierce (terriko)
    terriko: Poison study reminded me of the whole Circle of Magic series, and the Circle Opens one.
    The Well of Shades by Juliet Marillier (Jen7waters)
    Jen7waters: Valek reminds me of Faolan.
    Angel-Seeker by Sharon Shinn (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar romantic fantasy themes. Mature but not graphic.
    The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey (infiniteletters)
    The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Poison Study is more graphic.
    The Drowning City by Amanda Downum (ligature)
    A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (mamaie)
    mamaie: I read A Discovery of Witches right after Poison Study; A Discovery of witches is more graphic.

English (238)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (242)
I only made it part way into the first chapter - the writing style feels juvenile - describing things that don't further the story, and not well researched which makes sympathy with the principle very difficult. ( )
  jason9292 | Nov 22, 2015 |
Ames, I don't understand how you could possibly not read the others!! ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
I can't even tell you how many times I have read this book. There is a strong hero and heroines, wonderful plot, twists and turns, also the promise of something more. I read this one upon hearing the news there will be a 4th book (this is the 1st) and I just couldn't wait to dive back into this realm and characters. This is one of my all time favorite fantasy series. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This won't be a very helpful review because not a really specific reason for enjoying this series so much. It's just a very good, engrossing story with a main heroine you can get into. It's set in a fantasy world and written for adults versus the YA genre author also writes for (although by adult I don't mean too graphic, violent or explicit for YA audience to enjoy just that it's not geared to YA and full of teenage angst and love triangles). The world building/fantasy aspect not mindblowing so much as the characers but somewhat original and fleshed out enough to make the story work. Author avoided taking a formulaic route with plot/characters (a common pitfall when you take the alone-in-the-world, sad background, mistreated, whatever protagonist). ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
The characters were somewhat sucessfully drawn, though pretty basic. Yelena's friends were more sucessfully done than the main characters, and the evil characters were one dimensional. Plot was rudimentary and formulaic. I kinda feel like I wasted time reading this, as there is so much better material out there. ( )
  2wonderY | Oct 28, 2015 |
Shivers, obsession, sleepless nights—these are the results not of one of the milder poisons that novice food-taster Yelena must learn during her harrowing job training but of newcomer Snyder's riveting fantasy that unites the intelligent political focus of George R.R. Martin with a subtle yet potent romance. Through a stroke of luck, Yelena escapes execution in exchange for tasting the food of the Commander, ruler of Ixia. Though confined to a dank prison cell and doomed to a painful death, Yelena slowly blooms again, caught up in castle politics. But some people are too impatient to wait for poison to finish off Yelena. With the help of Valek, her steely-nerved, cool-eyed boss and the Commander's head of security, she soon discovers that she has a starring role to play in Ixia's future—a role that could lead to her being put to death as a budding magician even if she hits each cue perfectly. The first in a series, this is one of those rare books that will keep readers dreaming long after they've read it.
Ze zaten vrolijk met je te praten terwijl ze je vergif toedienden. - Kathy Brandt, een goede vriendin die de strijd verloor, ondanks chemotherapie
To my husband, Rodney, for all the support he has given, is giving and will give. I'm spoiled rotten.

In loving memory of Frances Snyder, Jeanette and Joseph Scirrotto.

"They would talk to you and make jokes while they were feeding you poison."--Kathy Brandt on chemotherapy; a good friend who lost the battle
Locked in darkness that surrounded me like a coffin, I had nothing to distract me from my memories.
"But you’ve slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart.” “That sounds more like a poison than a person,” was all I could say. His confession had both shocked and thrilled me. “Exactly,” Valek replied. “You have poisoned me."
"What have I earned from you, Valek? Loyalty? Respect? Trust?" "You have my attention. But give me what I want, and you can have everything."
"Yelena, you've driven me crazy. You've caused me considerable trouble and I've contemplated ending your life twice since I've known you...but you slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart."

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered a reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace, and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison. As Yelena tries to escape her dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and she develops magical powers she can't control. Her life’s at stake again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren’t so clear!

Locked in a coffin-like darkness, there is nothing to distract me from my memories of killing Reyad. He deserved to die—but according to the law, so do I. Here in Ixia, the punishment for murder is death. And now I wait for the hangman's noose.

But the same law that condemns me may also save me. Ixia's food taster—chosen to ensure that the Commander's food is not poisoned—has died. And by law, the next prisoner who is scheduled to be executed—me—must be offered the position.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:07 -0400)

Yelena, about to be executed, is offered the job of food taster to the Commander of Ixia, but politics and magic keep threatening her life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,852,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible