Crime Scene At Caldwell Ranch

Crime Scene At Caldwell Ranch (edition 2006)

Member:kkrisdan28
Title:Crime Scene At Caldwell Ranch
Authors:
Info:Harlequin Intrigue (2006), Paperback, 250 pages

Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch by B.J. Daniels

I liked it. It was a fun read. ( )
  Dollinha | Oct 16, 2017 |
This is a re-read for me as I wanted to read the sequel and I wanted to refresh my memory. A mystery twined around a romance gone wrong due to the sister interfering, a common thread in books. But it is also ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jun 1, 2017 |
Picked this up when I was in the mood for "something romance-y" and was pleasantly surprised. There's an actual suspense and it's not just a flimsy excuse for romance/smut. I enjoyed it! ) ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
This is another 3.5. Which shocks the hell out of me. I keep reading these little Harlequin books hoping to like them and most of the time they are two-stars. The real shame of it is that this is a free book. It has been free for years, while the other ones cost money.

The only real complaints I had were:
-The slow reveal of what happened five years ago. I hate that. Stop mentioning and dropping hints about this mysterious five years ago and just tell me what the hell happened! I had already guessed one part of it by page 25 yet it wasn't revealed in the story until page 110.
-A chunk of the book passes with not much happening.
-Small details: there are a couple of typos, and confusion of secondary character names. For instance, in one chapter a deputy is introduced as Liza Turner, and a few chapters later she calls herself Deputy Stone while another deputy is Norm Turner.
-Dana bordered on too stupid to live. She certainly did some things that fall squarely in the TSTL category.

I liked the mystery and how it played out. Some parts of it were easily guessed, but I still had to wait until everything was revealed to get how it all came together. While, in the end, parts of it were a little confused, I still appreciated the story.

I liked that Dana maintained her anger against her sister, Hud (even with giving into physical urges), and her other siblings. I like that the truth had to come out first and that it wasn't all convenient just to get everybody together again.

I liked Hud. While I think he should have stayed around and fought instead of running away, he was a solid character and you could kind of understand his faults.

Even the typical clean ending wrap up was fine with me, including this one plot point brought up throughout the book that screamed CONVENIENT CONTRIVED RESOLUTION just made me laugh and smile. Maybe because I knew it was coming, or because I had started to think it wasn't going to come and when it did I was like "THERE IT IS!" Or, and this is probably the greater reason, it screwed over a very unlikeable character.

On paper, I think, I really shouldn't have liked this story, but something in the way it was written made it an entertaining, enjoyable read for me. ( )
  OstensiblyA1 | Sep 20, 2013 |
This was one of sixteen free ebooks that Harlequin promoted for one of their anniversaries.

Overall, I found this a good read, and interesting as a mystery (more so than as a romance). The atmosphere was suspenseful; while I guessed the villain fairly early on, I wouldn't have been surprised if one of several other characters turned out to be the bad guy. I liked the main characters and was happy that they got back together. The "how I did it" spiel from the villain at the end was over the top, but by then I had enough momentum that I was willing to put up with it.

(As for the names, though....I know someone surnamed Savage, so I can buy that. But Brick Savage? Please.) ( )
  castiron | May 10, 2013 |

Five years ago, Hud left town with a heart load of regrets. But now, as acting interim marshal, he had a job to do. And this time he wasn't walking away. Because now Dana's life was on the line-as the unsuspecting target of a killer who still walked the canyon. Hud would do whatever it took to keep Dana close. Even if it meant risking his own heart for a second chance for both of them....

After Hudson Savage betrayed her, Dana Cardwell hoped never to lay eyes on the seductive cowboy again. Until a bunch of old bones showed up on her family ranch. Suddenly her former lover was back in her life in a big way-to investigate a decades-old crime. Five years ago, Hud left town with a heart load of regrets. But now, as acting interim marshal, he had a job to do. And this time he wasn't walking away. Because now Dana's life was on the line-as the unsuspecting target of a killer who still walked the canyon. Hud would do whatever it took to keep Dana close. Even if it meant risking his own heart for a second chance for both of them...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,525,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible