Obscure Logic of the Heart by Priya Basil

Obscure Logic of the Heart (edition 2011)

by Priya Basil

Member:johannes_reiter
Title:Obscure Logic of the Heart
Authors:Priya Basil
Info:Black Swan Books, Limited (2011), Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2

Obscure Logic of the Heart by Priya Basil

Anil comes from a wealthy and liberal Sikh family; his background seems a world away from Lina’s devout Muslim upbringing, but that doesn’t stop them falling in love.

Although we know from the start of the novel that this love took place some time in the past, the reader is still drawn into the story of their love affair and the obstacles placed in their way by family and friends on both sides. Running alongside Lina & Anil’s story is a second story of another cross-cultural romance, and parallels between them provided added depth and interest.

The love story is beautifully told; however, the book is much more than that. The author has messages for us about religion and tolerance, the obligations that the love of family and friends place on us, and the dangers of guns and violence. All set against wonderful landscapes of Kenya and Sudan, and the metropolitan bustle of New York.

I have read and reviewed this novel as part of the Transworld Book Group Reading Challenge ( )
  hashford | Dec 4, 2011 |
Muslim Indian girl fall in love with Hindu Indian boy, SHe lives and grew up in UK, he in Kenya. They meet at University. Have secret affair that ends in pain but is rekindled several year later.And that is where the book ends.
  FatimaDarries | Nov 12, 2011 |
An immediate attraction between our 2 lovers plus 2 different cultures and the opposition of family ... you can see the Romeo and Juliet link but this book has a fascinating backdrop of art, politics and human rights that made this an excellent read. As the only child in a very affluent, liberal, Sikh family Anil can sometimes seem arrogant but he is an intriguing mix, often seen by his friends and family as too patient and thoughtful, his passionate love for Lina is never in doubt. Her family background is a more humble and more religiously devout Muslim home in Birmingham; the close relationship with her Dad is the main thing that seems to hold her back. Lina loves Anil but her family, her religion and her ‘human rights’ activities all lead to barriers that she finds difficult to surmount. I have slight niggles as some characters didn’t get fleshed out as much as I thought they could have been in a 500 page novel: Merc, Anil’s best friend, seems totally unlikeable and I couldn’t see why they were close and Hans, the human rights activist, seems a little too good to be true but others like Lina’s parents seemed very real to me.
Because of the way the story is told we know that the relationship reaches a point where they separate but how they get to this stage and whether the upcoming reunion might lead to reconciliation proved a real page turner for me as I became more and more involved in their story. Woven between the Anil and Lina story is another tale, told through letters, of another cross-culture romance that had ended and although many might guess at the writer early on the parallels make for added depth.
Some of my favourite elements of the book actually have nothing to do with the central story: the debate on whether African art and culture should embrace the western influences; the discussions by Hans and UN worker Susan on ‘rape as a weapon of war’; plus the whole gun culture issues – “... those who have guns end up killing” is countered by “Ay, and those who don’t have guns end up dying.” This added dimension really lifts this book and the landscapes of New York, Kenya and the Sudan are beautifully brought to life.
I received this through the Transworld Book Challenge and found it a great read. I will definitely look out for more books by Priya Basil as I found her writing style very readable plus the extra dimensions made for a thought-provoking read. ( )
  arkgirl1 | Sep 5, 2011 |

While Lina's parents still dream of a suitable boy for their eldest daughter, she engages in an intricate game of deceit to hide her blossoming relationship with Anil, who does not come from a Muslim background. But matters come to a head when her mother uncovers a suitcase full of love letters.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,892,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible