Silentheart by Roberta D. Hoffer

Silentheart

by Roberta D. Hoffer

Recently added byEternalPress, Reviewer01, onyx95

Silentheart’s plot is well thought out and it is a good debut novel. Silentheart follows Sarah, who is a human and Carter, a vampire. Carter who has been in love with Sarah since his best friend, Benjamin asked him to watch over her. Benjamin is Sarah’s great-great grandfather and is trying to make a cure to being a vampire. In Silentheart, Sarah finds out about both good and bad vampires, and falls in love with Carter. Both of them have to struggle to be together, against everything and everyone who stands between them.
The characters seem realistic, despite them being vampires and their tenacity to make snap judgements about people they have just met. The way all the characters are very inner-connected is very well done, especially with Oliver and Carter turning out to be siblings. In fact one of my favourite parts of the novel would be when finding about how Oliver and Victor were connected to the other characters, as it was unexpected twist. Another well-done part of Silentheart is the Guardian Vampires, as this is a fresh interesting concept, and this is nice change since there are very few new concepts in relation to vampires.
The only recommendation I can think to make is that there was a few grammatical errors throughout the novel; however they did not take way from Slientheart’s plot and character developments. Also I would have liked a more final ending, which it wasn‘t, with Oliver still held captivate and Victor still out for revenge.
In conclusion, Ms Hoffer’s debut novel has both an intriguing plot and realistic characters, who have complex relationships with each other. It is an interesting take on the vampire world, with parts of many different legends and stories incorporated in it. ( )
  Reviewer01 | Aug 2, 2010 |
Divorce created a new opportunity for Sarah Abbott and after deciding to move and start completely over, she also wanted to know more about her past. Taking a summer class on genealogy provided more answers than she expected when she discovered that the professor of the class was actually her great-great-grandfather. As her old life, which included her ex-husband collided with her new life that she was trying to navigate with her living ancestors, she finds that her vampire great-great-grandfather along with another vampire (Carter) had been acting as her guardian. Now she has found out that Carter has also been in love with her for a long time and is willing to go to extreme measures to make sure she is happy, healthy and safe. The threats that this new closer relationship causes will take all their strengths to get through.

Another twist to the vampire existence, another explanation of how and why they are the way they are. This one has a ‘Near Dark’ twist to it that is new (to me) for this genre. This is a tame vampire story with some drama, suspense and a little action. The story is drawn out in a repetitive way told completely in the first person - constantly changing who “I” was from character to character. The pre-existing love that Carter has for Sarah is difficult to figure out, he doesn’t seem to have a reason for his feelings and the author doesn’t seem to take the time to try to explain them, they just are (personal pet peeve of mine - I like to see the characters fall in love, it is what lets me have feelings for them also). As the characters go, Sarah seems a bit wimpy to have a vampire love, the bright spot is great-great-grandfather Benjamin and even Carter grew on me with his ever protective personality. If I had to go with an overall feeling, I did enjoy the concept of the vampire hierarchy and the collision of human and vampire worlds, but I missed out on what could have been a good love story. ( )
  onyx95 | May 16, 2010 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible