The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1) by…

The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Clay Griffith, Susan Griffith

Member:kayceel
Title:The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1)
Authors:Clay Griffith
Other authors:Susan Griffith
Info:Pyr (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 301 pages
Collections:Adult, Read but unowned
Tags:audiobook, vampires, fiction, fantasy, 2012, war, steampunk, strong women

The Greyfriar by Clay Griffith

The Greyfriar
3.5 Stars

A well written story although the world building is quite dense and requires patience to wade through. The synthesis of post-apocalyptic, steampunk and vampiric elements is compelling as is the original take on vampires rising up against humanity and subjugating those who once oppressed them. The descriptions of the vampires' cruel domination are particularly gruesome and horrifying yet the authors still manage to convey that there are two sides to every conflict.

Unfortunately, most of the characters come across as stereotypical from the obnoxious American war hero hungry for power to the Emperor who puts his duty over the welfare of his children and the senile vampire king under the thumb of his sociopathic son. Nevertheless, the two main characters are not as one dimensional.

Princess Adele is an engaging heroine and the growth and evolution of her character is a significant aspect of her appeal. She starts out a naive and pampered princess but grows into a mature, confident woman understanding that the world is not black and white. It will be interesting to see what happens when she learns about the full magnitude of her power and how to wield it.

The Greyfriar is a fierce fighter for the resistance, however, he has secrets that once revealed add an extra layer of complexity both to his character and to the plot. Adele and Greyfriar have an interesting dynamic that drives the action of the book and their parts are far more entertaining that those focusing on the political machinations of the two warring factions.

All in all, a decent beginning to a promising series and their are enough unanswered questions to keep my interest. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
4.5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
I consider this series (and specifically this book) to be my Crackle Bar of my collection. It's a guilty pleasure and I have eaten/re-read it too much, but I keep coming back for more.

This book was an impulse check out of the library that lead into a month long binge and a very speedy trip to my bookstore to buy my own copies. We are in a time where Young Adult vampire romances flood the shelves, however don't let that turn you away from this little gem.

While it is predictable in most places and isn't challenging to read, it's proves to be a lovely little steampunkish adventure in an alternate history where vampires are a complex alternate evolution of humans (been done before, but the unique characteristics in the Greyfiar trilogy are quite smart), and they have started an all out war on humankind.

Possible spoilers ahead from here on.

I actually do not wish to spoil much of the story because I want readers to enjoy it going in rather blind. However, I must emphasize some points in the story to say just why I adored this book so much. Keep in mind, this book is not breaking too much ground or making too many grand leaps (though I did find how the vampires function and work all together to be quite interesting and unique in it's own way). It is it's execution that makes me love it. It's what you expect once you get the groove of the story. It's predictable and you know what's going to happen in most cases, but you are actually happy they happened.

At one point there is a betrayal arch (you know where the friend/companion turns out to do or be something the protagonist can't accept) that you see coming from a mile away, but afterwards how things develop is so nice that you can't help yourself but keep reading.

And may I just say, how refreshing it is to have an adventure/romance like this where the romance is slowly developed from a friendship over the course of the entire series. Yes, you see the romance budding as clearly as you see how blue the sky is. But, it's so healthy and fluffy that it's addicting. It feels natural and sweet. As someone who is constantly bombarded by very erotic novels from friends and who gets tired of the same rehashed sex scenes, this was so refreshing to see a slowly building relationship like this that does last over all 3 books. And this cute romance isn't any surprise as this book and series is written together by a very cute couple. Their tenderness and affection to one another oozes in the books. I loved it.

That being said, the romance in the first book is not forefront. The conflict and politics along with the action and adventure are. It's just overall well executed I must say again.

I enjoyed every character and I enjoyed almost every moment in the book. Gareth and Adele are lovely and reading their story is something I'll never regret. My only regret is that I'm a lone person in my circle of friends who was willing to give the series a shot and I'm still to this day trying to convince them this isn't some fantasy Twilight rehash.

All in all, this book and this series (and I must warn you that the later books aren't quite as good as the first, but I can't say I regretted reading them at all in any way), is like that movie that you know isn't groundbreaking or doing too much new, but it's so satisfying to watch that whenever it's on tv, you leave it and enjoy the ride just to feel that warm feeling again.

I also highly recommend the audiobooks if you don't have the time to sit down and read it yourself.

Just please give it a shot. ( )
  FairestEve | Jul 22, 2016 |
The human world has been nearly destroyed by a great vampire killing war. Humans are living in small closed communities along the equator. A princess from one of the larger settlements is to marry the Butcher an American Vampire Hunter to unite the two nations into one giant campaign to end the Vampires world dominance. Her visit to neighboring towns goes terribly wrong when her ships are attacked and she is taken hostage. Greyfrair, a legend among humans tries to save her and the empires future heir. He is a mystery always covered, a great swordsman, nobody knows his true identity. Their path curves and twists going deep into the politics and horrors of state of the world.
i loved every page, I was swept away into this world the authors created. They created a very visual world, detailed and flowing beautifully. The characters where believable and reacted in a realistic way to their environments. The Vampires are nasty, not human at all, no sparkles. It is book 1 in a Trilogy. I can't wait for the next book ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Premetto che le 5 stelline sono in effetti un pò troppe per quello che è il contenuto, il libro ne vale 4...anche 4 e mezzo... ma non ancora 5 piene (spero nei prossimi). Ma ci stavano tutte per un insieme di ragioni prima fra tutte l'originalità, se non altro nel panorama fantasy italiano, del genere. Questo romanzo, infatti, fa parte del filone fantasy steampunk (da Wiki: Lo steampunk è un filone della narrativa fantastica-fantascientifica che introduce una tecnologia anacronistica all'interno di un'ambientazione storica, spesso l'Ottocento e in particolare la Londra vittoriana dei libri di Conan Doyle e H. G. Wells. Le storie steampunk descrivono un mondo anacronistico - a volte una vera e propria ucronia - in cui armi e strumentazioni vengono azionate dalla forza motrice del vapore (steam in inglese) anziché dall'energia elettrica; dove i computer sono completamente analogici, o enormi apparati magnetici sono in grado di modificare l'orbita lunare. Un modo per descrivere l'atmosfera steampunk è riassunto nello slogan "come sarebbe stato il passato se il futuro fosse accaduto prima").
Genere che ancora non ha preso piede da noi e risulta quindi una vivificante ventata fresca...se fate poi i conti che personaggi principali sono i vampiri la cosa riveste un peso ancora maggiore.
Altro punto a suo favore?
I vampiri sono VERI vampiri. Quelli sanguinari, crudeli, animaleschi del folklore storico comune.
Non vi ritroverete certamente il bellone di turno che fa sospirare le teenager. No.
E non c'è una scuola in un raggio di chilometri!
Come già si intuisce dalla trama, l'ambientazione è "post-apocalittica" (se volete vedere i vampiri come elemento catastrofico che ha ridotto il mondo, da come lo conosciamo, ad una landa desolata). Dopo un attacco perpetrato dai clan vampiri nel 1870, il mondo umano è stato decimato e costretto a ritirarsi in quelle aree del mondo in cui il clima è decisamente caldo...una delle poche debolezze dei vampiri è infatti l'incapacità di vivere in temperature calde.
In questa situazione si sono create le nuove nazioni.
Equatoria, potenza primaria, è il nuovo impero nato dalle ceneri delle nazioni europee...e i sovrani sono gli eredi diretti della monarchia inglese.
Siamo ora nel 2020.
Protagonista della storia è l'erede al trono di Equatoria, Adele.
Il volume si apre proprio su un viaggio diplomatico di Adele verso i territori indipendenti di quelli che sono ormai divenuti i confini del mondo umano. Viaggio che riveste un'importanza cruciale. Infatti, tramite l'alleanza per matrimonio tra Adele e il senatore Clark della repubblica americana, è imminente la guerra per lo sterminio totale e definitivo del mondo vampiro ed è necessario rinsaldare i rapporti per preparare il terreno della rivolta.
Ma nessuno ha fatto i conti con le spie vampire...e con Grayfriar, eroe fantasma che persegue una personale lotta contro il dominio e la follia vampiresca.
Sarà durante un attacco in massa alle aeronavi della flotta imperiale che Adele e Grayfriar si incontreranno e inizierà l'avventura dei due.
Non aggiungo altro per non rovinarvi la lettura. Vi dico solo che si tratta di un apprezzabile fantasy, finalmente discosto dagli ultimi cloni che ormai hanno saturato il mercato letterario italiano.
I due autori hanno saputo miscelare bene parti "storiche", che spiegano la situazione del mondo attuale, con altre ricche d'azione. Sprazzi di suspance e tensione con un tenue romanticismo.
I dialoghi sono incalzanti e non ci sono momenti morti.
Da provare. ;) ( )
  AzureStrawberry | Jan 12, 2016 |

Griffith, Clayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Griffith, Susanmain authorall editionsconfirmed

In 1870, vampires took over the northern regions of the world, forcing the surviving humans to flee to the southern hemisphere. Now the year is 2020 and Princess Adele, a human, is on the verge of coming to power just as a final war with the vampires is approaching.… (more)

85 wanted4 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,689,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible