Mommy? by Maurice Sendak

When Maurice Sendak, Arthur Yorinks, and Matthew Reinhart collaborate, what do you get?! One of the most uniquely humorous and slightly off picture books you may ever find. In this macabre rendition of “Are you my mommy?”, a young boy, reminiscent of Sendak’s boy in “Where the Wild Things Are”, searches room after room desperately calling out “Mommy”, only to be greeted by various monsters and ghouls. The illustrations are distinctively Sendak’s while the paper engineering can be non- other than Reinharts. The intricate pop-ups coupled with the gently frightful illustrations makes for a fun romp during the Halloween season, or anytime you’re in the mood for a scare! ***I just can't wait until a patron finds the topless woman on the "mummy" page! ( )
  DiamondDog | Mar 29, 2013 |
PreK to 2nd could read it. PreK to 4th could use it as a creative writing springboard. Pop-up book. The scenario involves a toddler crawling about through an arena of several different monster scenes as he voyages to find his mommy. He fearlessly defeats each villain until he finally reaches his mommy. Could be used in the classroom with PreK students to acquire familiarity with book orientation or used with 1-5 grade students as a springboard for creative writing exercises. Central Issues addressed include finding mommy and/or exploring and facing individual fears.
  Kaberasturi | Sep 12, 2011 |
One of the cutest Pop-up books out there, not only is it beautifully illustrated by the renown Maurice Sendak, but the premise of a darling baby, unafraid, searching though a house of monsters? It's adorable. And even though you're pretty sure he's going to find Mommy somewhere, well that's a bit of a surprise too. My favorite pop-up? That's really hard to choose in this book, from baby pantsing the wolf-man to his popping a pacifier in Dracula's mouth, every spread is delightful! If I have to choose I would say it's the spread where baby unwraps the Mummy (awesome paper engineering by Matthew Reinhart).
This one is a winner~ ( )
  JoClare | Jun 26, 2011 |
I though that this was an adorable pop up book. The children I was around really enjoyed the parts and how it moved as the page turned. It would be fun to have a pop up book lesson in class.
  hgold | May 31, 2011 |
I loved the ingenious way this book was put together. I loved the fact that the pictures just right out at you. It was especially interesting the way Sendak used only two words throughout the whole story. And yet the message behind the book was still conveyed. ( )
  hannahbk | Feb 13, 2011 |
The flip-up right panels showing the monsters' comeuppance are witty, marvellously engineered, and deeply satisfying.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Jan 6, 2009)

Maurice Sendakprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reinhart, Matthewmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Yorinks, Arthurmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Maurice Sendak's first pop-up book!

They're all here! Everybody's favorite monsters are just going about their business when a plucky little boy wanders into their cuckoo house. And what does he want? He wants Mommy!

No matter how scary these monsters are, there's no besting a little boy who's looking for his mommy. In one hilarious pop-up extravaganza after another, this kid shows them a thing or two.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:46 -0400)

In this almost wordless story with only two words: mommy and baby, a very young child stumbles into a house to find his mother; he finds, instead, a collection of monsters, including a vampire, mummy, and werewolf before he finds her. A book with pop-ups on every spread.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,108,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible