Midnight Rain by Holly Lisle

Midnight Rain

by Holly Lisle

This was a pretty good book. I almost quit reading it about half-way through when it got a little too super-natural. The main character reads tarot cards and there's a ghost in the book, but I kept reading and it all made sense in the end.
Pheobe Rain is in hiding, living a quiet life alone after escaping her very abusive ex-husband when she meets Alan, her neighbor. Her ex-husband, who is in a coma, seems to be stalking her and nobody believes her, because he is in a coma. Alan, her new lover, is ready to give up on her, thinking she's making up all the drama, when they find out the man in the coma is not her ex-husband, and she's been telling the truth all along. The ex-husbands ends up dead and Alan and Pheobe live happily-ever-after. ( )
  sonyainf | Jul 2, 2011 |
This was a lot better than I was expecting! I didn’t know much about this author, but I would definitely read another book by her. I was quickly sucked into Phoebe’s story and found myself rooting for her even when no one else was. There’s just a little taste of the supernatural here, but enough to require some suspension of disbelief. ( )
  miyurose | Jul 9, 2008 |
I can't say enough good about this book--I've been recommending it to everyone I know.

Midnight Rain is about Phoebe Rain, a tarot card reader for a psychic hotline, who's hiding out from her ex-husband even though he's in a coma. It seems her fears are justified when she gets a threatening phone call on her work line. The caller's voice is that of her ex-husband, and he used her real name, despite the precautions she's taken.

Then she sees the ghost of a little girl, the daughter of the E.R. doctor, Alan MacKerrie, next door, who asks Phoebe to go see her daddy.

The threats escalate, and Phoebe begins seeing her ex-husband in her dreams, dreams from which she can't awaken. Meanwhile, she's attracted to Alan, but tries to keep her distance, as she's kept away from people all these years, fearing that someone else will be hurt when her ex-husband finds her again.

I was a little dubious at first, with the ghosts and dream-visitations--I'm not a big fan of supernatural explanations in suspense stories, much preferring a logical explanation. So Midnight Rain had to work against my prejudices, making it all the more remarkable that I liked it so much. The supernatural was handled in a very believable way, and I especially liked Phoebe's matter-of-fact approach to her tarot card reading. Before the threats from her ex-husband, she was a math and science teacher, and that logical intelligence shows through.

The romance between Alan and Phoebe is also very well done--there are no easy answers for either of them, and the emotional obstacles were honest and realistic, as was Alan's grief for his dead daughter.

I suspect that the reason the supernatural elements were handled so well is that Ms. Lisle's other books appear to be fantasy. I'll be checking them out. ( )
  Darla | Aug 23, 2006 |
Phoebe Rain is a former science teacher who now reads tarot cards for a living. It’s not much of a living, however: her knee constantly pains her, she rarely leaves the safety of her house with its three deadbolts, and she has no friends. She doesn’t want any friends. She doesn’t want anyone else to take the bullet meant for her if her ex-husband should come for a visit.

Michael, Phoebe’s ex, is the reason her knee is a mess: he blew it out with a shotgun right before she put him into the coma he’s been in for the past couple of years. Yet Phoebe knows, in her gut, that he’ll come for her again, and she wants to be ready when he does. Best intentions aside, she isn’t ready when the time comes. She isn’t ready to hear his voice on the other end of a phone line that he should not know the number to. She isn’t ready to see the ghost of a little girl in her living room, telling her to go see the doctor who lives next door. And when she does go next door, she isn’t ready to fall in love.

Holly Lisle has wrought a tale of suspense and intrigue that will keep you up at night. Her characters are believable, flawed enough to be real without removing their humanity. A couple of the medical-related plot points seemed a shade unrealistic to me, but I have never worked in that industry and do not know how accurate those points were. My enjoyment of the book wasn’t impaired at all by my impressions, however; the questions arose after I had finished the book.

I would tag this book with a “mature reader€? label, due to sexual content and violence. The sex was good; it has the “best sex scene I’ve almost readâ€? (you’ll understand when you get there). The violence was both of the gory and non-gory kind, with enough tension that the book at times walks the fine line between “suspenseâ€? and “horrorâ€?. However, it is a very well-crafted novel that touches on the supernatural while remaining firmly grounded in reality. By all means, pick up this book… but you might want to read it during daylight hours…

If you would like more information about this book, or to read the first couple of chapters, visit Holly Lisle’s website (hollylisle.com). ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jun 2, 2006 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451411757, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:53 -0400)

Phoebe Rain's sadistic ex-husband lies in a coma a thousand miles away-a coma she put him the last time he tried to kill her. Yet Phoebe knows the voice on the other end of the line belongs to the twisted man who vowed he'd never let her get away. Panicked, she turns to her neighbor, Dr. Alan MacKerrie. Alan finds the story hard to believe himself, but now he, too, is receiving chilling, ghostly warnings of danger. Caught between icy terror and mounting passion for Alan, Phoebe knows there's no escape.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,380,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible