Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville,…

Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, Book 9) (edition 2011)

by Carrie Vaughn

Member:AllisonKraft
Title:Kitty's Big Trouble (Kitty Norville, Book 9)
Authors:Carrie Vaughn
Info:Tor Books (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 307 pages

Kitty's Big Trouble by Carrie Vaughn

I love the Kitty series. This one was a little strange. This was a strange battle that seemed a little to easily won. Strange concepts introduced but not totally implausible. I liked it but didn't LOVE it. I'll still keep reading the series because I like the characters and relationships. I also like the way Carrie Vaughn writes! ( )
  bm2ng | Apr 9, 2019 |
Kitty’s Big Trouble
Kitty Norville, Book 9

I Picked Up This Book Because: Continuation of a series.

The Characters:

Kitty Norville:
Ben O’Farrell:
Cormac/Amelia, Sun, Anastasia:

The Story:

This title is misleading, Kitty is always in trouble but with so much going on I see why the author kept it simple. This story was anything but simple. With monsters and relics and gods and centuries old vampires. Oh and pack members that are now magically inclined. There is an excellent setup for the next book which I look forward to getting my hands on.

Marguerite Gavin deserves a shout out because her portrayal of Kitty and company is unbeatable. I think a great amount of my love for this series is due to her.

Writing: Intricate and slightly overwhelming, like I like it.
Forward Motion: Excellent,not a moment of lull. Seriously the characters have to be exhausted.
Overall Interest: Great. I actually listened to the last 45 minutes at work this morning.
Length of Reading Time: Good
Re-read-ability: No.

The Random Thoughts:

I kinda hope we get to see Sun again. I really liked his character.

I just had a thought: Is the title related to/a play on Big Trouble in Little China? I’ve never seen the film so I am clueless.

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 24, 2017 |
In San Francisco’s Little China, Kitty learns that there are more supernaturals in her world than she ever dreamed of.

I can’t say it enough; I’m so happy to be doing a re-read of the Kitty books, especially of the later books. It’s like NetFlixing a TV show all at once instead of watching an episode a week (or even less frequently!)—the experience is much richer when all the details of the previous stories are fresh in my mind. I know some people don’t care for rereading, and that’s okay. I’m learning that, for me, rereading is essential to my enjoyment.

Kitty’s Big Trouble (as in the movie Big Trouble in Little China), introduces Kitty to some of the Chinese supernaturals that have manifested in the New World. Kitty, Ben, and Cormac travel to San Francisco to help Anastasia, who we met in House of Horrors, retrieve a powerful Chinese artifact before Roman, the “big bad,” can get it.

I liked Anastasia when we met her in House of Horrors. Her rivalry with Odysseus Grant was a little annoying, but ultimately understandable. Her love for her companions, vampire Gemma and human Dorian, was admirable. In Big Trouble, we learn more about why Anastasia is so paranoid about Roman and his machinations, and the lengths to which she’ll go to fight him.

Roman isn’t just the unseen “boogie man” in this novel has he has been since Raises Hell. He is in San Francisco at the same time as our heroes, actively seeking the artifact for a nefarious purpose. Our heroes tangle with him a couple of times, and he delivers an ominous message at the end of the book that is meant to make them, and us as readers, understand that our heroes live for now ONLY because Roman doesn’t feel they’re significant enough to bother with. Of course, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing that ignites Kitty’s stubbornness, so you know it’s only going to make her fight harder.

I enjoyed the supporting characters in this book. Grace Chen, a psychic in San Francisco, helps our group because of a promise made to Anastasia by Grace’s ancestor; one Grace thought was more myth than reality. The San Francisco vampires were interesting as well. I’m not sure if any of them will return in a future story, but they serve to expand what we know of Kitty’s world. We also get a brief conversation with Allette, who we met in Washington, and get a new but tiny piece of information about Rick’s past. Amelia gets to shine a bit more as well, as Cormac casts spells to help the group find the artifact and fight Roman.

I think Marguarite Gavin does a great job of narrating Kitty’s stories. The vocal distinctions between characters isn’t always great, but her voice has a good radio quality that is perfect for Kitty. Gavin also narrates The Hollows series by Kim Harrison, which I enjoy as well. In Big Trouble, Gavin’s narration of Sun Wukong, the Monkey King, reminds me of Jenks, which just made me smile. Since they are both “trickster” type characters, the similarity is completely appropriate.

Finally, though they didn’t get explored near enough in this installment, I think the questions about General Sherman being a werewolf and Wyatt Erp being a hunter are really cool! I think those are some great seeds for future stories.:) ( )
  InvestedIvana | Apr 7, 2016 |
Kitty first met Anastasia when they were both being hunted by crazed fundamentalists. They helped each other survive and now, Anastasia wants Kitty's help again. The vampire behind the Long Game, Dux Bellorum aka Roman, is after a magical object that would enable him to expand his army of mind-controlled supernatural creatures. Kitty and Anastasia are resolved to get the Dragon's Pearl before Roman does. But in the magical twisting tunnels beneath San Francisco's Chinatown, they find that the gods themselves have gotten involved...

The plot is basic but enjoyable. I liked the new characters introduced, Grace and Sun , the Monkey King. But the pacing felt off, and I never felt scared for the characters. Cormac and Ben felt a little lifeless, even though this was Cormac's chance to shine. I want more of the story about how Amelia possessed Cormac, and how they're dealing with sharing his body. Isn't he creeped out by it at all? Doesn't she miss having a body of her own? The dual idendity is a cool idea, but I feel like Vaughn's not doing anything with it. At the very least, you'd think there would be a little tension between them. This was probably my least favorite Kitty novel. It's still far better than most urban fantasy/paranormal romance out there, but I'm disappointed. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Kitty is asked to accompany a powerful vampire to San Francisco to help with finding something that definitely shouldn't be in the hands of their enemy, Roman, and there she finds that what's in Chinatown isn't just what's on the surface but there are gods lurking.

Kitty is dealing with a lot of stress here and the strain is beginning to show. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 17, 2016 |

Vaughn, Carrieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family
"I know," I said into my phone.

When her investigations into Wyatt Earp, vampire hunter, and the government's use of werewolves in combat lead her to San Francisco, Kitty Norville, along with her friends, becomes a pawn in the supernatural Long Game, which has been played by vampires through the millennia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,066,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible