Sister by Rosamund Lupton
1,223None6,490 (3.83)83

English (83)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (86)
When I first picked up this book it sounded like a great crime fiction novel however this isn’t crime fiction. I enjoyed the beginning however after awhile I got irritated with the writing style and the narrator going back and forth. I also got very confused with the use of ‘you’. I didn’t understand why she was writing to her sister.

I came away extremely disappointed with this book. There have so many times throughout this book that I felt frustrated and wanted to give up and that is rare. I felt that parts of the book dragged on. I persevered just to find out what really happened to Tess. I couldn’t connect with any of the characters and Beatrice really annoyed me. She comes across as a snob and a racist, then suddenly changes to somewhat be more like her sister.

I even disliked the twist at the end and felt it did nothing for the rest of the book. After reading so many great reviews I might have set my expectations too high. I also got annoyed with the numerous errors throughout. I definitely would not recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  marie1990 | Mar 21, 2014 |
I thought this book was fantastic. It was mystery and thriller but also sisterly love and what it is like to be a family and to be taken care of. It is written by a British author so she uses British words and slang in it but she uses them enough that you will eventually come to understand what they mean. I highly recommend it. ( )
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I am absolutely blown away by Rosamund Lupton's debut, Sister. I really don't even know where to start. The emotions of this book had me all over the place. Scared, angry, hopeful, devastated, thrilled. It was quite the ride. The brilliance of this plot is indescribable. I swear this book is pure genius. And the thriller/crime aspect had me on edge the whole time. Especially the last chapter. Oh. My. God. Seriously. I want to shake this author for the turn of events. And then hug her for her brilliance.

Beatrice was a character I could absolutely relate to. As an older sister myself, I put myself in her shoes and knew that I would have felt and acted the same way if what happened to Tess happened to any of my sisters. There is just something about the bond of sisterhood that is permanent.

As for other characters, Kasia is probably my favorite aside from Beatrice. She is this lovely sweet innocent Polish woman who sees the joy in everything. She becomes such a strong force and great friend for Beatrice.

Now. This plot is absolutely spectacular. From the beginning, Beatrice knows that there is no way her sister would have committed suicide. I felt so frustrated for Beatrice too as she tried to tell the police that her sister just wasn't that kind of person. It's infuriating when people think they know my sister better than I do. I want to shake these people and get them to listen. And just when you think you've figured it out, you're wrong.

I seriously cannot stress enough how wonderful this book is. If you love a good thriller, if you love good emotion, if you love books about the relationships of siblings, you have to read this book.

Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |
Beatrice is an eminently sensible expatriate Englishwoman whose younger sister’s disappearance throws into question everything she thinks she knows. Just twenty-one, Tess was an art student pregnant by her married tutor and had just given birth when she disappeared. The frame of the story—Beatrice is giving a statement to a prosecuting attorney—at first leaves it open to question whether Tess has been murdered or has actually done something terrible herself. As Beatrice describes her investigation of her sister’s disappearance, everyone seems somehow suspicious: her dishonest lover, the creepy friend who stalked her, the rushed and schluppy psychiatrist who treated her for postpartum depression, the researcher overseeing a clinical trial Tess was involved in to cure her baby of cystic fibrosis. Beatrice will find herself seeing shadows around every corner until the authorities start to find her as crazy as they think Tess was. Beatrice finds that maybe she doesn’t know herself as well as she thought as the action builds to a final startling twist. Really gripping mystery with literary flair. ( )
  jholcomb | Aug 23, 2013 |
Sister by Rosamund Lupton was an intriguing novel that contained all of the elements of a great mystery, a questionable death, a loving sister who wouldn't give up on the truth, and a suspicious cast of characters. Despite all evidence pointing to suicide, Bea, knowing her sister, Tess, better than anyone, intensely probed into what she believed was her sister's murder. Additionally, Tess was single and pregnant with complications in both her personal life and with her pregnancy.

I had only one difficulty with the book; it was written somewhat confusingly. Bea was the narrator of the novel, but at times, she revealed her story while providing a witness statement and recounting the facts of what she uncovered. At other times, Bea switched to addressing her sister, Tess, who she spoke to throughout the novel. Sometimes the change took place within the same paragraph. It became distracting.

That being said, I was thoroughly engaged throughout and kept guessing until the very brilliant ending. ( )
  2LZ | Aug 4, 2013 |
[An] unusual and searing debut...
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 4, 2011)

Like Kate Atkinson, Patricia Highsmith and Ruth Rendell, Lupton builds suspense not only around the causes and details of her story’s brutal denouement, but also around the personalities and motivations of those who lunge and those who duck..... Both tear-jerking and spine-tingling, “Sister” provides an adrenaline rush that could cause a chill on the sunniest afternoon — which, perhaps, the friendly company of a sister or two (or, in a pinch, a brother) might help to dispel.

Lupton's crisp insights into grief and familial guilt are married to a confidently executed plot. Free from the genre's more mawkish excesses, Lupton's persuasive narrative voice is what keeps this classy debut on track.

Voor mijn ouders, Kit en Jane Orde-Powlett, uit dankbaarheid dat ze me mijn hele leven hebben aangemoedigd

En voor Martin, mijn echtgenoot, met al mijn liefde
Lieve Tess,

Ik zou er echt alles voor overhebben om nu, op dit moment, bij je te zijn zodat ik je hand kon vasthouden, naar je gezicht kon kijken en naar je stem kon luisteren.
Waar zullen we een betere dochter, een lievere zuster of een oprechtere vriendin zien?

Jane Austen, Emma
Doch sloop' de winter ook de bloemen, hij heeft
Slechts macht op 't hulsel, 't lieflijke wezen leeft.

Shakespeare, Sonnet 5

Nothing can break the bond between sisters...

When Beatrice gets a frantic call in the middle of Sunday lunch to say that her younger sister Tess is missing, she boards the first flight home to London. But as she learns about the circumstances surrounding Tess's disappearance, she is stunned to discover how little she actually knows of her sister's life — and unprepared for the terrifying truths she must now face.

The police, Beatrice's fiancé and even their mother accept they have lost Tess, but Beatrice refuses to give up on her. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.

Their bond was unbreakable. The truth was unimaginable.

When Beatrice hears that her little sister, Tess, is missing, she returns home to London on the first flight available. But Bee is unprepared for the terrifying truths she must face about her younger sibling when Tess's broken body is discovered in the snow.The police, Bee's friends, her fiancé and even her mother accept the fact that Tess committed suicide. But nobody knows a sister like a sister, and Bee is convinced that something more sinister is responsible for Tess's untimely death. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible