Sister by Rosamund Lupton

English (86)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (89)
Double-frame convention ended up being a little awkward at the end...but otherwise quite interesting and fairly well-written. Yay for ending the year on a good read! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
Beatrice returns to England after hearing that her younger sister, Tess, has gone missing. Before long her body is discovered in a toilet block. But rather than a hunt for her murderer ensuing, Tess's death is ruled a suicide and it's left up to Beatrice to prove otherwise.

This story is a narration by Beatrice to her sister outling her emotions as well as her actions leading up to the identification of Tess's killer. I enjoyed this style of storytelling very much. Not only is it well written, but there's enough mystery and suspects to keep readers guessing, if not till the end, at least for a good while. For me some elements of the plot didn't quite gel, but hey, this is fiction and most importantly I want to be entertained, which I was. ( )
  Hanneri | May 5, 2014 |
An excellent book! A murder mystery embedded in a novel. A tale of sisterhood, love, determination, and genetic enhancement vs. genetic therapy. I loved the phrase: "She panned life for gold every day....and found it!" ( )
  hemlokgang | Apr 15, 2014 |
When I first picked up this book it sounded like a great crime fiction novel however this isn’t crime fiction. I enjoyed the beginning however after awhile I got irritated with the writing style and the narrator going back and forth. I also got very confused with the use of ‘you’. I didn’t understand why she was writing to her sister.

I came away extremely disappointed with this book. There have so many times throughout this book that I felt frustrated and wanted to give up and that is rare. I felt that parts of the book dragged on. I persevered just to find out what really happened to Tess. I couldn’t connect with any of the characters and Beatrice really annoyed me. She comes across as a snob and a racist, then suddenly changes to somewhat be more like her sister.

I even disliked the twist at the end and felt it did nothing for the rest of the book. After reading so many great reviews I might have set my expectations too high. I also got annoyed with the numerous errors throughout. I definitely would not recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  marie1990 | Mar 21, 2014 |
I thought this book was fantastic. It was mystery and thriller but also sisterly love and what it is like to be a family and to be taken care of. It is written by a British author so she uses British words and slang in it but she uses them enough that you will eventually come to understand what they mean. I highly recommend it. ( )
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
[An] unusual and searing debut...
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 4, 2011)

Like Kate Atkinson, Patricia Highsmith and Ruth Rendell, Lupton builds suspense not only around the causes and details of her story’s brutal denouement, but also around the personalities and motivations of those who lunge and those who duck..... Both tear-jerking and spine-tingling, “Sister” provides an adrenaline rush that could cause a chill on the sunniest afternoon — which, perhaps, the friendly company of a sister or two (or, in a pinch, a brother) might help to dispel.

Lupton's crisp insights into grief and familial guilt are married to a confidently executed plot. Free from the genre's more mawkish excesses, Lupton's persuasive narrative voice is what keeps this classy debut on track.

Voor mijn ouders, Kit en Jane Orde-Powlett, uit dankbaarheid dat ze me mijn hele leven hebben aangemoedigd

En voor Martin, mijn echtgenoot, met al mijn liefde
Lieve Tess,

Ik zou er echt alles voor overhebben om nu, op dit moment, bij je te zijn zodat ik je hand kon vasthouden, naar je gezicht kon kijken en naar je stem kon luisteren.
Waar zullen we een betere dochter, een lievere zuster of een oprechtere vriendin zien?

Jane Austen, Emma
Doch sloop' de winter ook de bloemen, hij heeft
Slechts macht op 't hulsel, 't lieflijke wezen leeft.

Shakespeare, Sonnet 5

Nothing can break the bond between sisters...

When Beatrice gets a frantic call in the middle of Sunday lunch to say that her younger sister Tess is missing, she boards the first flight home to London. But as she learns about the circumstances surrounding Tess's disappearance, she is stunned to discover how little she actually knows of her sister's life — and unprepared for the terrifying truths she must now face.

The police, Beatrice's fiancé and even their mother accept they have lost Tess, but Beatrice refuses to give up on her. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.

Their bond was unbreakable. The truth was unimaginable.

When Beatrice hears that her little sister, Tess, is missing, she returns home to London on the first flight available. But Bee is unprepared for the terrifying truths she must face about her younger sibling when Tess's broken body is discovered in the snow.The police, Bee's friends, her fiancé and even her mother accept the fact that Tess committed suicide. But nobody knows a sister like a sister, and Bee is convinced that something more sinister is responsible for Tess's untimely death. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible