Sister by Rosamund Lupton

English (92)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (96)
Thankfully I was able to get through this book club offering quickly (large font, widely-spaced lines), as I found it terrifically dull. It inspired no intellectual or emotional response in me other than mild annoyance. The number of reviews lauding the quality of the writing rather shocks me: I found it pedestrian in the extreme. No number of twists (is there one? two? I already can't remember) could make me engage with the plot or characters. NEXT! ( )
  Vivl | Feb 24, 2015 |
A well written book that kept me reading to find out what happened. I didn't care as much for the ending but it was a surprise. It's a suspense written by one sister in the form of a letter to her missing sister. You learn a lot about the character and life styles of both sisters and their relationship to each other and their mom. ( )
  Pickiej | Jan 24, 2015 |
Fabulous, haunting, debut novel by Rosamund Lupton. As soon as my Kindle hit the last page, I was ordering the next novel by Lupton.

Bee has been called to London from New York because her younger sister, Tess, has gone missing. The story is told in an interesting way as we find out what happened to Tess early in the story but not the who or why. I could barely put this book down as the story unfolds. I could see why this book had such great reviews last year.

Kappadeemom | Oct 27, 2014 |
Wow, I dealt with getting car sick just so I could keep reading this baby. Had to read the last pages over again because I couldn't believe the twist. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
[An] unusual and searing debut...
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 4, 2011)

Like Kate Atkinson, Patricia Highsmith and Ruth Rendell, Lupton builds suspense not only around the causes and details of her story’s brutal denouement, but also around the personalities and motivations of those who lunge and those who duck..... Both tear-jerking and spine-tingling, “Sister” provides an adrenaline rush that could cause a chill on the sunniest afternoon — which, perhaps, the friendly company of a sister or two (or, in a pinch, a brother) might help to dispel.

Lupton's crisp insights into grief and familial guilt are married to a confidently executed plot. Free from the genre's more mawkish excesses, Lupton's persuasive narrative voice is what keeps this classy debut on track.

Voor mijn ouders, Kit en Jane Orde-Powlett, uit dankbaarheid dat ze me mijn hele leven hebben aangemoedigd

En voor Martin, mijn echtgenoot, met al mijn liefde
Lieve Tess,

Ik zou er echt alles voor overhebben om nu, op dit moment, bij je te zijn zodat ik je hand kon vasthouden, naar je gezicht kon kijken en naar je stem kon luisteren.
Waar zullen we een betere dochter, een lievere zuster of een oprechtere vriendin zien?

Jane Austen, Emma
Doch sloop' de winter ook de bloemen, hij heeft
Slechts macht op 't hulsel, 't lieflijke wezen leeft.

Shakespeare, Sonnet 5

Nothing can break the bond between sisters...

When Beatrice gets a frantic call in the middle of Sunday lunch to say that her younger sister Tess is missing, she boards the first flight home to London. But as she learns about the circumstances surrounding Tess's disappearance, she is stunned to discover how little she actually knows of her sister's life — and unprepared for the terrifying truths she must now face.

The police, Beatrice's fiancé and even their mother accept they have lost Tess, but Beatrice refuses to give up on her. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.

Their bond was unbreakable. The truth was unimaginable.

When Beatrice hears that her little sister, Tess, is missing, she returns home to London on the first flight available. But Bee is unprepared for the terrifying truths she must face about her younger sibling when Tess's broken body is discovered in the snow.The police, Bee's friends, her fiancé and even her mother accept the fact that Tess committed suicide. But nobody knows a sister like a sister, and Bee is convinced that something more sinister is responsible for Tess's untimely death. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,231,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible