Sister: A Novel by Rosamund Lupton

Sister: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Rosamund Lupton

Title:Sister: A Novel
Authors:Rosamund Lupton
Info:Broadway (2011), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Library Book, Read but unowned

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

English (94)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (99)
Un thriller insolito ma molto coinvolgente. Veramente bello complimenti all'autrice. ( )
  Angela.Me | Nov 9, 2015 |
Rosamund Lupton's SISTER is told in a manner unlike other novels, that is, as the past-tense story of Beatrice's learning about and investigation into the death of her sister Tess, as related in her present-tense statement to the prosecuting attorney (as we would call him in the U.S.) Mr. Wright, all within a letter to Tess. Yet it does not confuse. Rather, the structure adds to the tension in this excellent novel.

Beatrice, unlike police, detectives, even her own mother, is sure that Tess was murdered but by whom and why? With her investigation, Beatrice suspects everyone, and so does the reader. This much, alone, is thrilling, but there is also an underlying tension whenever we are in the present with Mr. Wright.

This novel has an ending that shocks as only a handful of novels do. It is also my favorite kind of novel for another reason: it is get-nothing-else-done, stay-up-late unputdownable.
  techeditor | May 24, 2015 |
During my younger days, I had a passion for genre fiction – fantasy, science fiction – but mysteries and detective fiction never held my attention. A good friend picked Sister by Rosamund Lupton for our March Book Club, so I read with a slight sense of foreboding. As it turned out, it was not so much a detective novel as a psychological exploration of a family torn apart following the death of a child, a divorce, the scattering of siblings, and finally the disappearance of a young woman, Tess -- an art student with quite a free spirit, much to the dismay of her mother and sister.

Bea and Tess, as they called each other, had developed an extremely close relationship, even though Bea had left London for a design job in New York. She spoke frequently with Tess, and as Bea mentioned several times, “they had no secrets.” Bea boards the next flight to London and moves into her sister’s flat, hoping to reconnect with Tess. The police seem oddly unconcerned about the disappearance of Tess, and Bea convinces herself she is alive and will soon turn up. The novel takes a dark turn when a cast of suspicious characters begin to appear.

Eventually, Tess’s body turns up in a crusty, disgusting public toilet. The police firmly belief the death resulted from suicide. I won’t say why, because those details are all part of the plot. I searched for a quote to exemplify Lupton’s tight, suspenseful prose, but most of them revealed plot details. So, I settled on the first paragraph. Lupton writes, “Sunday Evening. Dearest Tess, I’d do anything to be with you, right now, right this moment, so I could hold your hand, look at your face, listen to your voice. How can touching and seeing and hearing – all those sensory receptors and optic nerves and vibrating eardrums – be substituted by a letter? But we’ve managed to use words as go-betweens before, haven’t we? When I went off to boarding school and we had to replace games and laughter and low-voiced confidences for letters to each other. I can’t remember what I said in my first letter, just that I used a jigsaw, broken up, to avoid the prying eyes of my house mistress. (I guessed correctly that her jigsaw-making inner child had left years ago). But I remember word for word your seven-year-old reply to my fragmented homesickness and that your writing was invisible until I shone a flashlight onto the paper. Ever since, kindness has smelled of lemons” (1).

Believe it or not, several phrases and images in this first paragraph connect directly to numerous points in the plot. I love a psychological novel, and the bond these two sisters had revealed them both to be interesting characters, with a complex relationship to each other, their mother and absent father, their dead brother, Leo, and numerous other characters in the novel.

Sister, by Rosamund Lupton, will draw you into this complex web, and wonder at their strengths and weaknesses. To fans and non-fans of suspense I highly recommend this debut novel by a young British writer. 5 stars

--Jim, 3/27/15 ( )
  rmckeown | Apr 12, 2015 |
Written in 2nd person ( )
  keithgordonvernon | Apr 1, 2015 |
Thankfully I was able to get through this book club offering quickly (large font, widely-spaced lines), as I found it terrifically dull. It inspired no intellectual or emotional response in me other than mild annoyance. The number of reviews lauding the quality of the writing rather shocks me: I found it pedestrian in the extreme. No number of twists (is there one? two? I already can't remember) could make me engage with the plot or characters. NEXT! ( )
  Vivl | Feb 24, 2015 |
[An] unusual and searing debut...
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 4, 2011)
Lupton's crisp insights into grief and familial guilt are married to a confidently executed plot. Free from the genre's more mawkish excesses, Lupton's persuasive narrative voice is what keeps this classy debut on track.
Like Kate Atkinson, Patricia Highsmith and Ruth Rendell, Lupton builds suspense not only around the causes and details of her story’s brutal denouement, but also around the personalities and motivations of those who lunge and those who duck..... Both tear-jerking and spine-tingling, “Sister” provides an adrenaline rush that could cause a chill on the sunniest afternoon — which, perhaps, the friendly company of a sister or two (or, in a pinch, a brother) might help to dispel.

Rosamund Luptonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bol, IrisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rouwé, MarcelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waar zullen we een betere dochter, een lievere zuster of een oprechtere vriendin zien?

Jane Austen, Emma

Doch sloop' de winter ook de bloemen, hij heeft

Slechts macht op 't hulsel, 't lieflijke wezen leeft.

Shakespeare, Sonnet 5
Voor mijn ouders, Kit en Jane Orde-Powlett, uit dankbaarheid dat ze me mijn hele leven hebben aangemoedigd

En voor Martin, mijn echtgenoot, met al mijn liefde
Lieve Tess,

Ik zou er echt alles voor overhebben om nu, op dit moment, bij je te zijn zodat ik je hand kon vasthouden, naar je gezicht kon kijken en naar je stem kon luisteren.

Nothing can break the bond between sisters...

When Beatrice gets a frantic call in the middle of Sunday lunch to say that her younger sister Tess is missing, she boards the first flight home to London. But as she learns about the circumstances surrounding Tess's disappearance, she is stunned to discover how little she actually knows of her sister's life — and unprepared for the terrifying truths she must now face.

The police, Beatrice's fiancé and even their mother accept they have lost Tess, but Beatrice refuses to give up on her. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.

Their bond was unbreakable. The truth was unimaginable.

Refusing to believe that her pregnant, mercurial, artist sister committed suicide, Beatrice begins an obsessive search for the truth and is dismissed by her family and authorities until she closes in on a murderous predator.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible