Sister: A Novel by Rosamund Lupton

Sister: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Rosamund Lupton

Member:amarantine
Title:Sister: A Novel
Authors:Rosamund Lupton
Info:Broadway (2011), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:MASTERLIST 1

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

English (90)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (94)
Wow, I dealt with getting car sick just so I could keep reading this baby. Had to read the last pages over again because I couldn't believe the twist. ( )
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
  ChewDigest | Sep 12, 2014 |
Really good book. It takes about twenty pages to get into the narrated stye of the story, and after that I was hooked. The author writes really well about what it means to feel close to a sibling, and I really like the way she picks up nuances and hidden meaning from the exact words used in everyday speech. Lots of emotion in this book. I felt hollow when I got to the end. Loved it. ( )
  jvgravy | Aug 31, 2014 |
Fastest best seller of 2010 and a début crime novel at that (***½). I can appreciate why – a hideous crime, a strong bond between sisters, and a screenwriter-journalist who knows how to keep you turn the pages – a skilfully written whodunnit, and yet… I got bored towards the end, found the medical genetics stuff unlikely and ultimately also the murderer and his motives questionable… As she progresses into the story, it becomes a bit artificial. Yet her twist at the end is beautiful and credible. A bonus was the open end, and really the best scene kept for the end… Go out with a bang! Lovely, but still not quite my thing. I think I won’t read her second (equally successful) novel. ( )
  alexbolding | Aug 10, 2014 |
Double-frame convention ended up being a little awkward at the end...but otherwise quite interesting and fairly well-written. Yay for ending the year on a good read! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
[An] unusual and searing debut...
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Apr 4, 2011)

Like Kate Atkinson, Patricia Highsmith and Ruth Rendell, Lupton builds suspense not only around the causes and details of her story’s brutal denouement, but also around the personalities and motivations of those who lunge and those who duck..... Both tear-jerking and spine-tingling, “Sister” provides an adrenaline rush that could cause a chill on the sunniest afternoon — which, perhaps, the friendly company of a sister or two (or, in a pinch, a brother) might help to dispel.

Lupton's crisp insights into grief and familial guilt are married to a confidently executed plot. Free from the genre's more mawkish excesses, Lupton's persuasive narrative voice is what keeps this classy debut on track.

Voor mijn ouders, Kit en Jane Orde-Powlett, uit dankbaarheid dat ze me mijn hele leven hebben aangemoedigd

En voor Martin, mijn echtgenoot, met al mijn liefde
Lieve Tess,

Ik zou er echt alles voor overhebben om nu, op dit moment, bij je te zijn zodat ik je hand kon vasthouden, naar je gezicht kon kijken en naar je stem kon luisteren.
Waar zullen we een betere dochter, een lievere zuster of een oprechtere vriendin zien?

Jane Austen, Emma
Doch sloop' de winter ook de bloemen, hij heeft
Slechts macht op 't hulsel, 't lieflijke wezen leeft.

Shakespeare, Sonnet 5

Nothing can break the bond between sisters...

When Beatrice gets a frantic call in the middle of Sunday lunch to say that her younger sister Tess is missing, she boards the first flight home to London. But as she learns about the circumstances surrounding Tess's disappearance, she is stunned to discover how little she actually knows of her sister's life — and unprepared for the terrifying truths she must now face.

The police, Beatrice's fiancé and even their mother accept they have lost Tess, but Beatrice refuses to give up on her. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.

Their bond was unbreakable. The truth was unimaginable.

When Beatrice hears that her little sister, Tess, is missing, she returns home to London on the first flight available. But Bee is unprepared for the terrifying truths she must face about her younger sibling when Tess's broken body is discovered in the snow.The police, Bee's friends, her fiancé and even her mother accept the fact that Tess committed suicide. But nobody knows a sister like a sister, and Bee is convinced that something more sinister is responsible for Tess's untimely death. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible