Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman

The Sleepwalkers (edition 2011)

by Paul Grossman

Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*
Tags:fiction

The Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman

Recently added bymancmilhist, meggyweg, csweder, petergw, private library, Alijomiller, lyrrael, auldtwa1, gerg40517
    Spies of the Balkans by Alan Furst (BillPilgrim)
    BillPilgrim: WW2 story with Jews escaping the Third Reich
    Zoo Station by David Downing (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Family men caught in the uncertainties of Nazi Berlin with intrigue and mysteries thrown in. Sleepwalkers is set in 1933; Zoo Station in 1939.

In interesting premise - a Jewish detective on the Murder Squad in Berlin towards the end of 1932 just before the Nazi takeover.

The author seems to cover well the atmosphere of Berlin in 1932, but I found the characterisations and dialogue a bit thin.

However, the story rolls on a quick pace and kept me entertained. Not a "great" read, but I did like it and if you're interested in pre-WW2 Berlin and enjoy the David Downing "Station" series then this would be worth a look. ( )
  mancmilhist | Aug 28, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wasn't quite sure what to think about this book. To be honest, I only read half the book. I just couldn't finish it. It just wasn't what I expected. ( )
  elleayess | Mar 17, 2014 |
This is the first in a new series featuring featuring a German Jew police detective at the time of the Nazi takeover of Germany. It was a good enough story but after half a lifetime reading mysteries I found this rather predictable. I was able to foresee many events before they were revealed and found many of the characters cliched. The friend reporter, the hooker with a heart of gold and a wife lost to violence. I did like the protagonist but not enough to continue the series. Other than the historical setting I found it generic. ( )
  jldarden | Mar 1, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has an identity crisis. It is at times a mystery, a thriller, and.a work of historical fiction. As a mystery it's ok, as a thriller it's good, as historical fiction, it's best. The plot is backed by the fall of the Wermacht, and the inevitable rise of the Nazis. Perhaps the mystery and thriller components suffer because the historical context helps give away the ending.

Parts of the book seem poorly written, as if Grossman is mailing it in. On more than one occasion, the plot advances on some piece of luck, some forgotten secret. A little more creativity would have improved the books credibility.

Overall the historical context wins out, leading to a solid ending and an eerie, engrossing epilogue.
  cfink | Jan 14, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received a copy through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sadly, I just couldn't get into it; I found the characters too pat and broadly sketched, and gave up part-way through. Left me wishing for much more subtlety, an underappreciated virtue for mysteries and books touching on Third Reich Germany. ( )
  mtilleman07 | Jan 10, 2013 |
I go the way that Providence dictates with the assurance of a sleepwalker. -- A. Hitler.
Dietrich's legs were magic wands, slim, hypnotic instruments of sorcery that mesmerized millions.
A vast city of brick and limestone, new by continental standards, most of it less than a century old, Berlin was Europe's Chicago, ambitious, arrogant, driving itself ever onward. Toward what, he and 4 milliom other Berliners had no idea.

Berlin, 1932: The final weeks of the Weimar Republic. Hitler and his National Socialist party are assuming control of Germany. Willi Kraus, a high-ranking, famed detective in Berlin's police force, a decorated World War I hero, and a Jew, embarks on a murder investigation unlike anything anyone has ever seen. Despite his superiors’ attempts to divert him at every turn, Willi moves through the darkness to uncover some horrible truths about the people taking over his country, and it quickly becomes apparent that life in Germany will never be the same.

A high-ranking Jewish detective in Berlin in 1932, Willi Kraus finds his murder investigation of an oddly deformed and mysterious young woman made difficult by his superiors and several disturbing events.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible