Melonhead and the Big Stink by Katy Kelly

Melonhead and the Big Stink

by Katy Kelly

Melonhead is back! I fell in love with this character last year, and he's still my favorite guy out there. Melonhead's second adventure is full of his humor, inventiveness, bad luck, and that indefinable "boyness" that made the first story so much fun.

Melonhead has always been prone to disaster, but in this story he's determined to thwart his propensities for inventive destruction. School is out for the summer (really, that chair-walking episode wasn't his fault) and he and his friend Sam have decided there's one thing that will make their summer perfect: a trip to see the Titan Arum, the biggest and stinkiest flower in existence! With some help from friends, they form the Boys' Improvement Guide for Acting Responsible Till Stink Sunday. Armed with good intentions and his ever-growing Remind-o-Rama card of rules from his mom, Melonhead sets out to behave. Unfortunately, this is harder than it looks, especially when you throw wayward balls, cranky old ladies, friendly teenagers, a huge garden competition, and baby ducks into the mix. Can Melonhead make it to the Big Stink?

I just love Melonhead's character. Funny, realistic, enthusiastic, but certainly not a plaster saint! Katy Kelly's characters are so real, I find myself wanting to give Melonhead's mom a huge thwack and tell her to lighten up and enjoy her kid. I want to meet Mrs. Wilkins and rummage through her amazing attic. I found myself as furious as Melonhead when his mom's "betrayal" comes out and desperately hoping he'd make it to the Big Stink after the final collision of catastrophes.

This story is really a little long for a beginning chapter book, but it's not really middle grade fiction and I don't want to add yet another label to my huge list. Hand this to boys (and girls!) who love funny stories, a healthy dose of gross, and need a fun summer read! Perfect for strong younger readers up through twelve-year-olds who will enjoy remembering "when they were kids".

Verdict: I am still in love with Melonhead! Ordered for my library several months ago because I knew it would be good, and it just arrived this week!

ISBN: 0385736584; Published June 2010 by Delacorte; ARC provided by publisher at ALA; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 11, 2012 |
During the summer between fourth and fifth grade, Adam "Melonhead" Melon, who lives in the Washington, D.C., neighborhood of Capitol Hill, tries to stay out of trouble to earn a trip to New York City to see the giant "stink flower."
  prkcs | Jul 11, 2010 |

Melonhead is back in action, filled with curiosity, stirring up a little trouble (even though he doesn't mean to), and determined to have a summer of fun! In this second book in the Melonhead chapter book series, Melonhead is still pals with Lucy Rose, but he's not going to Parks & Rec camp this summer. He ruined one of Mrs. Wilkins's favorite garden plants, so his parents have "loaned" him to her to do chores. This is going to mess up his summer plans if he doesn't figure something out. He and Sam need to find a way to get to New York City to see the titan arum "bunga bangkai" plant. It's supposed to be twelve feet tall, weigh a hundred pounds, and smell like dead mammals, plus rot, plus spoiled food. It only blooms once every seven years, and even then only for two days and then it keels over dead. It's the Big Stink of a Lifetime! But Melonhead has to get a few more good deeds out of the way first, and doing chores for Mrs. Wilkins is a good start, even if it wasn't in the plan to begin with!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:19 -0400)

Katy Kelly is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible