Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, Book 4)…

Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, Book 4) (edition 2008)

by Sara Shepard

Member:br13naau
Title:Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, Book 4)
Authors:Sara Shepard
Info:HarperTeen (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages

Unbelievable by Sara Shepard

It is my understanding that when Sara Shepard first approached publishers, her plan was for a four-part series of young adult novels. However, in our sequel-happy age, somewhere along the line it was decided that the series could go on — and on. Last I heard, they were up to #15 in the series.

However, with the completion of the aptly named Unbelievable, I think that it may be time for me to, at least temporarily, climb off the PLL train.

***Spoiler Alert: Read No Further If You Haven’t Read the Book***

So this is the volume in which mysteries unravel, villains are revealed, and heroes prevail. But what heroes? After her profound humiliation by Mona and rescue by Lucas, Hanna’s amnesia has put her right back where she started, in terms of awareness and humility. Spencer, with her parents’ blessing, is still going for an award for the essay she plagiarized from her sister, Melissa. Aria is finally reconciling with her parents and her father’s new partner, but I’m not sure how much she learned from the Ezra débâcle. Emily has a horror-show whirlwind tour of rural Iowa, and almost moments after declaring her love for Maya, is sizing up a horny bisexual blonde.

It’s hardest for me (former valedictorian of my high school class) to understand how and why Spencer would take a suggestion from their nemesis, A, and plagiarize her sister’s essay. Spencer supposedly aced her PSATs. She’s supposed to be a smart girl, an intellectual powerhouse, but she’s plagiarizing and going along with her parents’ sick glory-grab? I know, at the last minute, she decides to ‘fess up (thus showing she has better morals than her parents), but still….

As the story winds up to its unlikely and unsatisfying resolution, we find out that Jenna, the blind girl, was in on the accident that blinded her — that Alison had planned it together with her to stop Jenna’s brother from molesting her (again?). Finally, it is revealed that Mona, my pick from the get-go is A. And Alison’s murderer is probably Ian, Spencer’s sister, Melissa’s, former and current boyfriend. However, he pleads guilty, and there are enough loose ends left lying around that it’s clear that Shepard’s plans for the series had shifted long before she fished this volume.

There are a whole lot of highly improbable things about Mona, alone, being A. I would think she would have needed a small squad of minions to spy on everyone, hack their computers and email, etc., etc.

So, it’s the improbable ending to an improbable day in the life of these morally deficient women. I’m kind of happy to be setting this series aside, at least for a time. ( )
  CandaceVan | May 15, 2014 |
Heartless is the penultimate installment in the Pretty Little Liars series of 8 books. This book was very exciting and pulled me in so many different directions. I was questioning all I have learned from the series so far. Evil “A” has upped the ante and has the four girls from Rosewood wrapped around her finger.

Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer are now the laughing stocks of Rosewood and have been dubbed “The Pretty Little Liars” due to their unsubstantiated stories. The police no longer believe them, and the girls are more driven than ever to solve the mysteries and clear their name.

The new and even more devious “A” has sent the girls on a wild goose chase in all different directions hunting clues. Emily gets sent to an Amish settlement to follow a lead that fingers one of the persons under suspicion in Rosewood. Aria follows a spiritual path and tries again with a seance. Hanna gets sent to an institute by her father who wants her to try therapy to deal with her eating disorder and stress. And Spencer finds plenty of suspicious activity and clues a little closer to home.

I had thought with the next to the last book we would be closer to solving this thing. I was so confused with this book! I thought Emily could be on the right path with her adventure. There may be enough clues at this point to solve the crime if you really dig deep. I don’t think I have it right at this point. Another shocking cliffhanger will have you ready for the final installment in the series: Wanted. ( )
  readingdate | Jan 7, 2014 |
This was the best of the Pretty Little Liars series so far. It kept you wanting more. Although it answered many questions, it still leaves you hanging and wanting to know what happens next. ( )
  mrsz5104 | Sep 3, 2013 |
One word

Confusing.... ( )
  potterwholockian | Apr 2, 2013 |
OMG! I could not believe Mona was A. It was like whoah.
I really liked this book because you could go along yourself and try to figure out who A was.
I never thought it was Mona, I thought it was Melissa. So that was surprising.
This was the most suspenseful book so far in the series.
REALLY GOOD. ( )
  potterwholockian | Apr 2, 2013 |
"No one can wear a mask for very long." --Lucius Annaeus Seneca
To Lanie, Les, Josh, and Sara
Ever wish you could go back in time and undo your mistakes? If only you hadn't drawn taht clown face on your Bratz doll your best friend got for her eighth birthday, she wouldn't have dropped you for the new girl from Boston.

Four pretty little liars' charmed lives have turned into living nightmares.

Emily's been shipped off to Iowa to live with her überconservative cousins. Aria's boyfriend is behind bars—because of her. Spencer's afraid she was involved in Ali's murder. But Hanna's fate is far worse: She's clinging to life in the hospital because she knew too much.

If these girls don't start listening to me, Hanna's going to look like the lucky one.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:20 -0400)

"Emily's been shipped off to Iowa to live with her berconservative cousins. Aria's boyfriend is behind bars--because of her. Spencer's afraid she was involved in Ali's murder. But Hanna's fate is far worse: she's clinging to life in the hospital because she knew too much. If these girls don't start listening to me, Hanna's going to look like the lucky one"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,467,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible