The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal

The Hare with Amber Eyes (2010)

by Edmund de Waal

The Mirador: Dreamed Memories of Irene Nemirovsky by her Daughter by Elisabeth Gille (Cimbrone)
    Cimbrone: Also a book about a privileged Jewish family before, during and after WW II. Sumptuous and tragic.
    Austerlitz by W. G. Sebald (shaunie)
    The Eitingons: a twentieth-century story by Mary-Kay Wilmers (marieke54)

English (94)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  All languages (103)
This wonderful book traces the history of a set of netsuke through their various owners within the wealthy banking family, the Ephrussis. The story shows the position of the family from 1871 to the present, focusing on the people who owned the 264 netsukes through their first appearance in Paris through fin de siecle Vienna and two world wars. The history parallels the history of wealthy Jews from being part of the fabric of high society to the horrors of WWII. There is resilience and determination also, as the following generations still keep the little ivory and boxwood statues and have once again found their place in the world. ( )
  velvetpaws | Mar 12, 2016 |
I read this for a book club and did not enjoy it. I felt is was way too detailed and pompous. A story of a family history that in my opinion is appropriate for just the family. It is meticulously researched and has historical interest and a twist of devotion. I was certainly sad and appalled at the family's devastation at the hands of the Nazis but I never felt a real compassion for the characters. ( )
1 vote becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
The Hare with Amber Eyes is part memoir, part travel log, part history book. It tells the story of a collection of small Japanese carvings called netsuke that de Waal inherits from his uncle and how they journey through the generations. It took me months to get through but the last few hours (I listened to it) were quite compelling. De Waal is the brother of one of my favorite Russophiles. What a talented family! ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Book on CD read by Michael Maloney

When his great uncle Iggie died in 1994, Edmund de Waal inherited a collection of 264 netsuke. The tiny Japanese wood and ivory carvings had long fascinated him and he wanted to know more about how they came to be in this collection. Thus began a search back through the archives of history, and family lore, to discover a family banking dynasty dating back to the nineteenth century in Paris and Vienna. At one time the family was every bit as prominent and wealthy as the Rothschilds. But by the end of WW2, the collection of carvings – which has been hidden by a servant – were all that remained of their vast holdings.

What a wonderful biography of a family this is. Told with eyes wide open, but with a great deal of love and respect, de Waal takes the reader back through time and breathes life into the history of not just his family, but of art, culture, politics, and war. Though I was listening to the audio, I kept picking up the text to look at the pictures, and how I wish there had been more of them!

The audio book is capably narrated by Michael Maloney.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Suprising, I expected a history of the netsuke de Waal inherited from a great uncle and instead ended up with the history of his famliy, but I enjoyed the journey very much. He takes yuo very much on his emotional journey through the family history as he learns who all these people were and how they lived. The netsuke fall into the background much of the time but, whenthey resurface, it always seems to make perfect sense. A truly lovely and captivating read.
1 vote amyem58 | Dec 30, 2015 |
What happened to the hare with amber eyes, and the carved medlar that almost felt as if it might squish when handled, after their return from Japan? De Waal bought them a secondhand vitrine from the V&A and set it up in his London house, its door unlocked so his own children could play with its contents. "Objects have always been . . . stolen, retrieved and lost. It is how you tell their stories that matters." He has told their story wonderfully. Oh, and this is a beautiful and unusual book, as a physical object. Somebody really cared.

Edmund de Waalprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miró, CarlesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prosperi, CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rugstad, ChristianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sasada, MasakoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Even when one is no longer attached to things, it's still something to have been attached to them; because it was always for reasons which other people didn't grasp...Well, now that I'm a little too weary to live with other people, these old feelings, so personal and individual, that I had in the past, seem to me - it's a mania for all collectors - very precious. I open my heart to myself like a sort of vitrine, and examine one by one all those love affairs of which the world can know nothing. And of this collection to which I'm now much more attached than to my others, I say to myself, rather as Mazarin said of his books, but in fact without the least distress, that it will be very tiresome to have to leave it at all.'
Charles Swann.

Marcel Proust, 'Cities of the Plain'.
For Ben, Matthew and Anna
and for my father.
In 1991 I was given a two-year scholarship by a Japanese foundation.

Contents:

Paris 1871-1899 -- Vienna 1899-1938 -- Vienna Kövecses, Tunbridge Wells, Vienna 1938-1947 -- Tokyo 1947-2001 -- Tokyo, Odessa, London 2001-2009.
Mansions, power, art / Exile, stolen dignity / Netsuke bear witness (LynnB)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312569378, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: At the heart of Edmund de Waal's strange and graceful family memoir, The Hare with Amber Eyes, is a one-of-a-kind inherited collection of ornamental Japanese carvings known as netsuke. The netsuke are tiny and tactile--they sit in the palm of your hand--and de Waal is drawn to them as "small, tough explosions of exactitude." He's also drawn to the story behind them, and for years he put aside his own work as a world-renowned potter and curator to uncover the rich and tragic family history of which the carvings are one of the few concrete legacies. De Waal's family was the Ephrussis, wealthy Jewish grain traders who branched out from Russia across the capitals of Europe before seeing their empire destroyed by the Nazis. Beginning with his art connoisseur ancestor Charles (a model for Proust's Swann), who acquired the netsuke during the European rage for Japonisme, de Waal traces the collection from Japan to Europe--where they were saved from the brutal bureaucracy of the Nazi Anschluss in the pockets of a family servant--and back to Japan and Europe again. Throughout, he writes with a tough, funny, and elegant attention to detail and personality that does full justice to the exactitude of the little carvings that first roused his curiosity. --Tom Nissley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:06 -0400)

Traces the parallel stories of nineteenth-century art patron Charles Ephrussi and his unique collection of 360 miniature netsuke Japanese ivory carvings, documenting Ephrussi's relationship with Marcel Proust and the impact of the Holocaust on his cosmopolitan family.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,949,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible