Dangerous to Know: A Novel of Suspense (Lady…

Dangerous to Know: A Novel of Suspense (Lady Emily Mysteries) (edition 2010)

by Tasha Alexander

Title:Dangerous to Know: A Novel of Suspense (Lady Emily Mysteries)
Authors:Tasha Alexander
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Finished, Your library
Tags:Bought, Suspense, Mystery, Fiction

Dangerous to Know by Tasha Alexander

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn (lilkim714)
    Sweet Revenge by Andrea Penrose (AFHeart)
    AFHeart: Regency suspense and intrigue of a high quality

I liked this book the least of all 5 books so far. The series presents a heroine with modern ideas in Victorian times. She's rich of course, smart, independent and has a husband who supports these scandalous ideas of equality. They investigate mysteries together, along with one or two friends they've made along the way. It's been fun, mostly.

Until this one. This book would have been about 30% shorter and less irritating if someone had just given Emily a flog at the beginning of the book and told her to have at herself. Events in the previous book have given her a rude awakening about what equality might mean–rightly enough–but she positively wallowed throughout this book and didn't begin to resemble the character I'd enjoyed previously. Colin too was something of an ass.

So, the story lumbered and dragged for me. I disliked pretty much everybody, and I was certain who the killer was. But then, towards the end, the last 25%, the story got exciting. I still pretty much disliked everyone, but events picked up pace dramatically and I was quite swept away in the excitement of it all. Add to that I was totally wrong about who the killer was (although I get points for proximity) and the book raised itself up to 3 stars instead of the two I had planned to give it.

Here's hoping everyone pulls their sticks out in book 6. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 18, 2016 |
Emily and Colin are staying with Colin’s mother, Anne Hargreaves, in Normandy while Emily recovers her strength following the events at the end of the last book. Unfortunately Emily and Anne do not get on well and this causes tension in the house, which is only increased when Emily stumbles across a woman’s body bearing wounds similar to those inflicted by Jack the Ripper on his victims. Of course Emily and Colin get drawn into the investigation.

This is an interesting instalment in the series, Emily and Colin have both been wounded by the events in Constantinople, but react very differently. As we see from her diary entries – a really nice device – Anne Hargeaves is just as independent and forthright as Emily, but is unable to appreciate Emily’s virtues and so worries for her son. No Margaret this time, but Cécile and Sebastian both put in an appearance and assist Emily with her investigations and provide support to her as she tries to deal with the repercussions of Constantinople. As always there’s a historical context to the story, Monet reappears and they meet Maurice Leblanc who’s creation of Arsène Lupin is inspired by his encounters with Sebastian.

The identity of the victim and her family circumstances seems to be the key to solving the murder, and its here that I found the story to stretch just beyond the bounds of credibility, the family are just too much, especially her siblings – I don’t want to give too much away here and spoil the plot. But having said that there were a nice number of twists and turns to the plot to keep me satisfied and the resolution to the case is scarily plausible. ( )
  riverwillow | May 16, 2013 |
This is the fifth book in the Lady Emily series, and it picks up where we left off. Lady Emily and her new husband, Colin, are now resting in France at her mother-in-law’s while she recovers further from her attack. But the necessary R&R doesn’t go according to plan. A young woman is brutally murdered near the house. The authorities are suspecting Jack the Ripper, or at least a copycat, and Emily insists on solving the murder, much to Colin’s chagrin. The novel reunites some favorites – Cecile and Sebastian – and all help Emily fend off the ghosts that seem determined to haunt her. ( )
  philae_02 | Jan 13, 2013 |
The best of the bunch so far, with a plot line that is followable and yet twists, relationships that are followable and yet twist and deepen, and all the period panache that rings so true (and could sound so risible in lesser hands). ( )
  Liabee | Jun 17, 2012 |
Shouldn't she be lying down somewhere? ( )
  picardyrose | Nov 9, 2011 |
No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness.
For Andrew--
Everything, always
Although a stranger to the Norman countryside, even I knew a dark pool of blood under a tree was not something a tourist should expect to see during an afternoon ride.

Recovering at her mother-in-law's estate in Normandy after a brush with death, Lady Emily Hargreaves discovers a murder victim whose death looks like the act of Jack the Ripper, a killing that compels her to follow clues to the medieval city of Rouen in search of a lost child.… (more)

Tasha Alexander is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,743,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible