It's A Book by Lane Smith

It's A Book (2010)

by Lane Smith, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

English (126)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (130)
It's a book about a jackass mule a monkey and a book. The jackass mule is all about his laptop technology and asks the monkey if his book works just like his laptop for the whole book until jackass finally takes the book and reads it as a book.
  rleung | Aug 10, 2014 |
I'm not sure if the below trailer enhances or detracts from the message of Lane Smith's "It's a Book". I understand that these trailers can be useful if one is advertising, but oh the irony.

I LOVED this book. I want to own it. I want to use it. It's a gentle, glorious reminders of all that is RIGHT about reading. AND I adore the fact that Smith uses the device of defining something by what it ISN'T, not by what it IS. I once engaged in a writing exercise that employed this technique, and I am including it below in case the connection warrants itself to some future lesson

"It's easier to say what play is not than what it is. Play is not reaching toward a goal, striving, straining toward perfection. Play is not putting in your time, practicing with a metronome, measuring out your successes and failures, hoping against hope that positive effects of your successes outweigh the negative impacts of your bad choices. Play is not duty. Play is not a careful listing of pros and cons, and then going with the most logical choice. (Though one may weigh pros and cons within the context of play, this is a side-effect, not the first cause) Play is lighthearted, unpretentious, the least self-conscious of all activities. Play is unfettered joy made tangible. Play is twirling lavender skirts. Play is singing for joy in the shower, shooting hoops at sunset, walking silly in public, and blowing bubbles in the bathtub. Play is finger-painting with the soul. Play is freedom." ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 29, 2014 |
Loved this clever book! With an impending tech-savvy classroom where students will be on laptops all day, I plan to share this book with them to remind them of the joy of a wonderful old-fashioned book. ( )
  jcarroll12 | Jul 26, 2014 |
Amazing book pointing out society's technology brain. Perfect for techy kids, and older kids who appreciate sarcasm and humor. ( )
  kelliemaurin | Jul 23, 2014 |
This little book was hilarious. My husband, 9 year old daughter, and myself all got a good laugh out of it. It is so interesting and realistic to poke fun at our society and how we have forgotten how to use a book. It does not use any technology; instead, it is a beautiful collection of words that tell a story. While my husband and I thought it was quite funny, I think the word "jackass" is a little much for a children's book. I could definitely, however, use this in my high school English classroom as an ice breaker on the first day of school! the book made me think of a famous Albert Einstein quote in which he worries one day we will become idiots too dependent on developing technology. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 5, 2014 |
Donkey's gradual capitulation to the power of a real book is marked by both the hands of the clock (in a droll double-page time-lapse sequence) and the angles of his ears. But it's a mouse's final insouciant line that garners the biggest laugh.

Lane Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Jake Berube
What do you have there?
it's a book

A tech-savvy jackass and a bookish monkey become engaged in a dialogue over what, exactly, the monkey has-- "It's a book." The jackass asks a long list of questions about the book's potential for technological capabilities, to which the monkey keeps replying "It's a book." Slowly, the jackass becomes swayed by the power of the simple book and the pleasure of reading.

Two readers compare a print to digital media, and learn books are still valuable.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible