It's A Book by Lane Smith

It's A Book (2010)

by Lane Smith, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

2011 (10) animals (48) book (67) books (125) books about books (25) children (16) children's (42) children's literature (10) comical (8) computer (18) computers (21) donkeys (33) electronics (9) fiction (49) funny (32) humor (110) jackass (23) juvenile (8) library (11) monkey (37) monkeys (10) mouse (11) new age (9) picture book (174) read (17) read in 2010 (12) reading (81) realistic (9) technology (175) to-read (18)

English (122)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (126)
This little book was hilarious. My husband, 9 year old daughter, and myself all got a good laugh out of it. It is so interesting and realistic to poke fun at our society and how we have forgotten how to use a book. It does not use any technology; instead, it is a beautiful collection of words that tell a story. While my husband and I thought it was quite funny, I think the word "jackass" is a little much for a children's book. I could definitely, however, use this in my high school English classroom as an ice breaker on the first day of school! the book made me think of a famous Albert Einstein quote in which he worries one day we will become idiots too dependent on developing technology. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 5, 2014 |
A donkey is on the computer and a monkey is reading a book. The donkey wants to know what the book does and finally figures out it doesnt do anything the computer does.
  ashleyann65 | Jul 1, 2014 |
a donkey who is on a computer is inquiring to a monkey reading a book about the book. He is asking questions about what the book can do like "do you have a mouse?" and "how do you scroll?". This is a great book to facilitate a discussion about books vs electronics ( )
  Trinityc | May 10, 2014 |
This book shows us how much technology is taking over and how children are getting more used to using things as tablets and phones rather than hardcover books. ( )
  tzarate | Apr 24, 2014 |
This book was pretty funny. It really speaks to today's generation. So many kids are
playing with tablets, or video games, or even cell phones. The main character a donkey
is playing with a tablet when the monkey walks over to him with a book. The donkey
doesn't know what to do with it so he starts asking questions as if it was a tablet. All
monkey keeps saying is it is book. He is bring the old fashion book back to the donkey
who is stuck with high technology obsessions. ( )
  heyleigh | Mar 16, 2014 |
Donkey's gradual capitulation to the power of a real book is marked by both the hands of the clock (in a droll double-page time-lapse sequence) and the angles of his ears. But it's a mouse's final insouciant line that garners the biggest laugh.

Lane Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Jake Berube
What do you have there?
it's a book

A tech-savvy jackass and a bookish monkey become engaged in a dialogue over what, exactly, the monkey has-- "It's a book." The jackass asks a long list of questions about the book's potential for technological capabilities, to which the monkey keeps replying "It's a book." Slowly, the jackass becomes swayed by the power of the simple book and the pleasure of reading.

Two readers compare a print to digital media, and learn books are still valuable.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible