Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

It's A Book by Lane Smith

It's A Book (2010)

by Lane Smith

Recently added byJandrew74, private library, tkappleton, Apkrs, jackanapes2, liannecollins, lthomson

English (174)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (178)
When I first read the word jackass in this book, I questioned whether this book was age appropriate. I feel one of the rising issues in today's society is the over usage of social media and technology. Some children find it hard to sit down and read a book. They feel as if reading is homework or a chore instead of entertainment. Of course the Jackass is caught up reading the book after it is presented to him. However, the last line on the very last page, "It's a book, Jackass" could be interpreted in two different ways. It could either be his name or the mouse could really be calling him a jackass for being ignorant towards books. I personally would not read this in my classroom but Lane Smith does cover a topic that should be addressed. ( )
  mskathyphan | Sep 25, 2018 |
Super fun book for kids and adults. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
this is a clever book for... older kids. Not so much for my two year olds. Don't really need them repeating the word jackass. Nor would they get the concept of the technology vs a book. Not a good read for toddlers or preschoolers. ( )
  shan.blackman | Aug 21, 2018 |
Smith engages the reader right away with the clever font and characters. A donkey and a gorilla discuss the difference between a book and the digital resources we use today.
  mmoga | Aug 16, 2018 |
The two characters discuss the differences between technology and books. There are very few words per page but large illustrations. The book also highlights the library as a source of books and entertainment. ( )
  rpankey | Apr 4, 2018 |
Jag misstänker att ”Det är en bok!” är för statisk och händelselös för att tilltala barn. Den passar bättre som gåbortspresent från en bokälskande kulturtant till en annan.

”Det är en bok” beskrivs av förlaget som ”raka motsatsen till Ipad” och Lane Smith tycks mycket riktigt ha tröttnat på allt vad digitaliseringsprocesser heter.

Donkey's gradual capitulation to the power of a real book is marked by both the hands of the clock (in a droll double-page time-lapse sequence) and the angles of his ears. But it's a mouse's final insouciant line that garners the biggest laugh.

For Jake Berube
What do you have there?
it's a book

Understanding the importance of a paper book

Two readers compare a print to digital media, and learn books are still valuable.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible