dismiss

Dshamilja by Tschingis Aitmatow

Dshamilja (original 1958; edition 1962)

by Tschingis Aitmatow

"The most beautiful love story in the world."--Louis Aragon The Second World War is raging, and Jamilia's husband is off fighting at the front. Accompanied by Daniyar, a sullen newcomer who was wounded on the battlefield, Jamilia spends her days hauling sacks of grain from the threshing floor to the train station in their village in the Caucasus. Spurning men's advances and wincing at the dispassionate letters she receives from her husband, Jamilia falls helplessly in love with the mysterious Daniyar in this heartbreakingly beautiful tale. A classic from the award-winning Kyrgyz novelistChingiz Aitmatov.… (more)
Member:timoheuer
Title:Dshamilja
Authors:Tschingis Aitmatow
Info:Bibliothek Suhrkamp (1962), Hardcover, 123 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:krieg, liebe, liebesgeschichte, russland, russische literatur

Jamilia by Tsjingiz Ajtmatov (1958)

English (21)  German (3)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (26)
Der 15-jährige Said erzählt die Geschichte seiner jungen, verheirateten Schwägerin Dshamilja. Während ihr ungeliebter Ehemann an der Front steht, lernt die selbstbewusste, lebensfrohe Dshamilja den scheuen, träumerischen Danijar kennen und lieben. Der junge Said erzählt mit den Augen eines Kindes, das zu verstehen beginnt, welch eine Macht die Liebe sein kann. Denn Dshamilja sagt sich von ihrem Heimatort und den alten Traditionen los und zieht in die Ferne. Neu mit einem Nachwort von Tschingis Aitmatow: Die wahre Geschichte hinter "Dshamilja".
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
A love story as opposed to a romance set in the Asian Russian Empire during either WWII. It is the story of village life in trying to grow and transport grain for the soldiers. Enter a wounded soldier, a lonely soldier's wife, and her younger brother-in-law. The author is from Kyrgyzstan and the translator is James Riordin, an English novelist. The beauty of the story is it's subtlety. ( )
  Tess_W | Jul 26, 2019 |
I was excited to read Chingiz Aitmatov, I have read some excellent short fiction stories from him earlier and I had heard a lot about Jamilia.

However I must admit I was rather disappointed and I am not sure whether to ascribe that to the translator or the actual story.

I gave it three stars because it is still well written and the metaphors were those which arose my suspicion to as how well this book had actually been translated. Several places it appeared that the descriptions of the country side were too boasted, to over descriptive. In other places it appeared that it didn't really catch the dialogue between the characters.

Jamilia is not a love story as such, it's more of a projection of the young women (in this case young and beautiful) that were left behind during the war and the men in the same position, either too weak to fight or returned too injured to participate and with the small town intrigues that happen in such a situation.

There are three characters in the story and they are very well described, but the actual plot lacks grunt. It's too simple and I have to say - to me. I found it to be slightly over-sentimental, simplistic and a little boring to be quite honest.

I think it would apply to a certain type of reader and another not. If you are into mainstream feel good books, not mentioning particulars, then it will read well. However if you like a controversial, thick, unusual or direct plot that rivets, it's not it. So thus I believe I have rated it well and fair.

I hardly have any money to spend but I love reading a good book. I am happy I got a second hand copy because at least I have the book with the cover of the beautiful face on the cover. I doubt I will read the story again though.
  mmmorsi | Aug 24, 2018 |
The date of Aïtmatov’s story isn’t entirely clear, but I presumed it was around 1940. The young men of Seit’s Kyrgyz village have gone away to war to fight, and the community does the best it can to adapt to their loss. Old men, women, boys and soldiers who have been invalided out of the war try to take up the slack. The adolescent Seit thinks himself a man in the absence of his four elder brothers, but he’s still child enough to be devoted to his sister-in-law Jamilia, whom he adores. They work together during the course of this long, hot summer, as the villagers labour to bring in the hay and thresh out the grain, and soon brother and sister are roped into a new task. Their team of drivers needs help delivering sacks of grain to the railway station (to be sent off for the war effort), and so Seit and Jamilia find themselves making the long journey down through the steppe, alongside the taciturn and reserved Daniyar...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2017/12/17/jamilia-chingiz-aitmatov/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Dec 17, 2017 |
'the steppe seemed to burst into bloom,heaving a sigh and drawing aside the veil of darkness'
By sally tarbox on 14 Jan. 2014
Format: Paperback
Short (96 pages of double-spaced type) novel, set in WW2 Kyrgyzstan. The men are away at war, leaving the old and war-injured to bring in the vital crops, assisted by the women and teenagers pulled out of school. This story is narrated by one such youth, Seit. His brothers are away fighting, and the wife of one - the spirited and lovely Jamilia - works with him, loading waggons...
I love the descriptions of the Kyrgyzstan steppes: 'the delicate smokey-blue, migratory spring clouds floating at crane's height above the yurtas; then herds of horses racing across the ringing earth...then flocks of sheep slowly spreading like lava over the foothills'.
Quite an enjoyable read, set in an unfamiliar environment. ( )
  starbox | Jul 10, 2016 |

Herboth, HartmutTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lukner, R. F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riordan, JamesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weijers, MonseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Here I stand before this little painting in its simple frame.
Please don't combine with works that contain more than this single novella!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,625,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible