The Cheapskate Next Door: The Surprising…

The Cheapskate Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of Americans Living…

by Jeff Yeager

Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence by Joe Dominguez (jeremyhoover)
    jeremyhoover: Your Money or Your Life provides a simple, nine-step plan to help you achieve Financial Independence.

Again, more of a philosophical look at living frugally than a usable how-to. I mean, some of the recommendations are obvious, some are wrong, and most of the rest aren't at all appealing. I suppose if you're making a sincere effort, and doing stuff like reading this book from your library instead of buying it, and you haven't been using your Crock-Pot, you might benefit from this. I didn't, though. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
It was a fun book to look through and to see how other cheapskates are saving their money. Some of the tips seemed helpful. Like I did figure out how much I make an hour in take home pay, and it really does give me perspective on how much things cost in real money. However, some of the tips, or stories, were just bizarre. Like the person who got a house for free and then had it moved onto her land. Other tips that seem like not a big deal, like brown bagging lunches, the author states might be too much for people to do daily. But overall it was a fun and interesting book to read. But I wouldn't put it in the category of a must-read book. ( )
  KamGeb | Mar 28, 2015 |
What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real World across the U.S.

Written approximately? – 2010.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? What does the author recommend for those who fell for the college loans scheme that was pushed on us by those who were supposed to know better? I was a cheapskate as a kid, and still am. However, there have been times in my life when I had to take out loans, or use credit cards for the basics, due to underpaid employment. I'd like to hear how some of these cheapskates feel about the employment issue, especially those selling new cars to people. As much as I prefer to buy used, for many products, I am concerned about safety, and the cost of upkeep, if I can't do it anymore. I also worry about renting, or owning a home in a truly dangerous neighborhood if that's all that is affordable.

Short storyline: Lots of short stories about living a lower cash flow life.

Notes for the reader: Interesting and entertaining. ( )
  AprilBrown | Feb 25, 2015 |
It spoke to me. I can pinch a nickel until the buffalo says "Moo!"

Just a couple of tips I wasn't aware of - anyone must be allowed to purchase prescriptions, alcohol and prescription glasses at Sam's Club/Costco type stores because those items are federally regulated. Also join Hostel hiusa.org

And yes, I borrowed the book from the library. ( )
  2wonderY | Dec 13, 2014 |
Great book, but most of the information I already knew thanks to my mother. ( )
  lesindy | Nov 1, 2014 |

He’s at it again, but this time he’s not alone.  America’s Ultimate Cheapskate is back with all new secrets for how to live happily below your means, á la cheapskate.  For The Cheapskate Next Door, Jeff Yeager tapped his bargain-basement-brain-trust, hitting the road to interview and survey hundreds of his fellow cheapskates to divulge their secrets for living the good life on less.

Jeff reveals the 16 key attitudes about money – and life – that allow the cheapskates next door to live happy, comfortable, debt-free lives while spending only a fraction of what most Americans spend.  Their strategies will change your way of thinking about money and debunk some of life’s biggest money myths.  For example, you’ll learn:  how to cut your food bill in half and eat healthier as a result; how your kids can get a college education without ever borrowing a dime; how to let the other guy pay for deprecation by learning the secrets of buying used, not abused; how you can save serious money by negotiating and bartering; and how – if you know where to look – there’s free stuff and free fun all around you.

The Cheapskate Next Door also features dozens of original “Cheap Shots” – quick, money saving tips that could save you more than $25,000 in a single year!  Cheap Shots give you the inside scoop on:

• How to save hundreds on kids’ toys;
   • What inexpensive old-fashioned kitchen appliance can save you more than $200 a year;
   • How you can travel the world without ever having to pay for lodging;
   • What single driving tip can save you $30,000 during your lifetime;
   • Even how to save up to 40% on fine wines (and we’re not talking about the kind that comes in a box).

From simple money saving tips to truly life changing financial strategies, the cheapskates next door know that the key to financial freedom and enjoying life more is not how much you earn, but how much you spend.

Jeff Yeager is the author of The Ultimate Cheapskate’s Road Map to True Riches, and has appeared as a guest correspondent on the NBC Today Show and Discovery’s Planet Green network.  He is also the author of the popular blog The Green Cheapskate, www.TheDailyGreen.com

Visit his website www.UltimateCheapskate.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:33 -0400)

The author reveals 16 key attitudes about money, and life, that allow the cheapskates next door to live happy, comfortable, debt-free lives while spending only a fraction of what most Americans spend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible