The Cheapskate Next Door: The Surprising…

The Cheapskate Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of Americans Living…

by Jeff Yeager

Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence by Joe Dominguez (jeremyhoover)
    jeremyhoover: Your Money or Your Life provides a simple, nine-step plan to help you achieve Financial Independence.

Having [at the time of reading] recently read a fantasy novel that reviewers either praised or derided for being essentially something fans find affirmative and get a glow of recognition from (cough Among Others cough), I'd say this is just the same thing for cheapskates. You'll recognize things you do or tried, you might add things to the list of what you'll try next, and if you are not at all a fan (or occasional practitioner) of thrift I'm not sure what you'll see in it... but you should be. A fun read, not something I plan to buy as a reference. ( )
  sprite | May 3, 2013 |
I loved this book, but it could be due to the fact that I found myself constantly nodding along in agreement. It gives a lot of good tips on how to save money or really think about money differently. It talks about the difference of need vs. want which I think is important.

I find myself an anomaly of my generation at times since I don't enjoy shopping and I maybe buy 1-2 new pairs of pants per year. Same with shoes.
I love finding stuff to do for free, and I make a conscious effort to buy only what I "need" even though that can be debatable at times.

This book helped me realize that there are many others out there too who don't care about keeping up with the Joneses, and that alone is refreshing. ( )
  mawls | Apr 4, 2013 |
This book is chock full of cheapskate advice, and a lot of "humorous" narrative. I ended up skimming through the humor so I could mine the nuggets of wisdom. Not that it wasn't interesting - it was - but, I am also a cheapskate on my time, so left the stuff I didn't truly need alone. There are some weird things (hard boil eggs when washing the dishes), but Yeager's general principles of living below your means are worth the read. For the current cheapskate, some of this will be repetitious (not a bad thing), but new material (for me) also existed. Step 1: borrow it from the library. ( )
  brickhorse | Mar 11, 2013 |
A really quick read, somewhat entertaining style (if you consider hokey entertaining), but not too much that`s very concrete or unique. I thought it would describe more of the extreme things people have done in the name of cheapness but there wasn't so much of that. Mostly just the general frugality tips available in any number of places. Nothing earth-shattering here. ( )
  Deesirings | Oct 12, 2011 |
Good book. Great ideas on how to save more money. ( )
  remikit | Jul 3, 2011 |

He’s at it again, but this time he’s not alone.  America’s Ultimate Cheapskate is back with all new secrets for how to live happily below your means, á la cheapskate.  For The Cheapskate Next Door, Jeff Yeager tapped his bargain-basement-brain-trust, hitting the road to interview and survey hundreds of his fellow cheapskates to divulge their secrets for living the good life on less.

Jeff reveals the 16 key attitudes about money – and life – that allow the cheapskates next door to live happy, comfortable, debt-free lives while spending only a fraction of what most Americans spend.  Their strategies will change your way of thinking about money and debunk some of life’s biggest money myths.  For example, you’ll learn:  how to cut your food bill in half and eat healthier as a result; how your kids can get a college education without ever borrowing a dime; how to let the other guy pay for deprecation by learning the secrets of buying used, not abused; how you can save serious money by negotiating and bartering; and how – if you know where to look – there’s free stuff and free fun all around you.

The Cheapskate Next Door also features dozens of original “Cheap Shots” – quick, money saving tips that could save you more than $25,000 in a single year!  Cheap Shots give you the inside scoop on:

• How to save hundreds on kids’ toys;
   • What inexpensive old-fashioned kitchen appliance can save you more than $200 a year;
   • How you can travel the world without ever having to pay for lodging;
   • What single driving tip can save you $30,000 during your lifetime;
   • Even how to save up to 40% on fine wines (and we’re not talking about the kind that comes in a box).

From simple money saving tips to truly life changing financial strategies, the cheapskates next door know that the key to financial freedom and enjoying life more is not how much you earn, but how much you spend.

Jeff Yeager is the author of The Ultimate Cheapskate’s Road Map to True Riches, and has appeared as a guest correspondent on the NBC Today Show and Discovery’s Planet Green network.  He is also the author of the popular blog The Green Cheapskate, www.TheDailyGreen.com

Visit his website www.UltimateCheapskate.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:37 -0400)

The author reveals 16 key attitudes about money, and life, that allow the cheapskates next door to live happy, comfortable, debt-free lives while spending only a fraction of what most Americans spend.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible