Bloodshot by Cherie Priest
4194625,318 (3.8)31

English (48)  Italian (1)  All languages (49)
A secret government project, a neurotic vampire thief of indeterminate age, a pair of Dickensian siblings, an ex-SEAL drag queen... what's not to like?

Well, okay. I do have one or two quibbles with this book, primarily the lead character's apparent age. Different clues bounce it around between thirty (Lords of Acid counts as "old" and she's younger than the Lieutenant) and a hundred (faked a death in 1933), with the result being that her "voice" never quite feels as authentic as I thought it should. All the same, she's an entertaining character with a fun supporting cast, and I'm curious what she'll get up to in Hellbent. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
Raylene is a thief who happens to be a vampire, and that's just the beginning of the unusual cast that peoples Bloodshot. Add in two runaways who live in her building (one obnoxious, one adorable), one blind vampire client, and one ex-Marine drag queen, and there's most of them.

This is one of my favorite urban fantasy series, up there with those by Seanan McGuire and Tanya Huff. Priest is a great author and weaves a thoroughly enjoyable story around this odd cast. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Aug 2, 2015 |
I must admit, the blurb for Bloodshot didn’t do much for me, but I decided to give it a chance anyway and read the first few pages. Raylene’s narration pulled me in immediately. Although Raylene gets caught an awful lot for a supposedly world-class thief, I have to love a vampire who, instead of being all suave, suffers from panic attacks and paranoia. I also enjoyed the supporting characters, Ian, Domino (aka. “the little shit”), Pepper, and of course, ex-Navy SEAL/drag queen Adrian. Overall, some parts are a tad slow, but Bloodshot is just the kind of fun, light-hearted entertainment I was in the mood for. ( )
  les121 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Bloodshot is an urban fantasy novel. It was a quick read and great as a beach book. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Aug 15, 2014 |
One of the best opening lines of a book! Fun story! ( )
  margarita.gakis | Jul 17, 2014 |
You wouldn't believe the weird shit people pay me to steal.

Raylene Pendle (AKA Cheshire Red), a vampire and world-renowned thief, doesn’t usually hang with her own kind. She’s too busy stealing priceless art and rare jewels. But when the infuriatingly charming Ian Stott asks for help, Raylene finds him impossible to resist - even though Ian doesn’t want precious artifacts. He wants her to retrieve missing government files: documents that deal with the secret biological experiments that left Ian blind. What Raylene doesn’t bargain for is a case that takes her from the frozen outskirts of Minneapolis to the mean streets of Atlanta. And with a psychotic, power-hungry scientist on her trail, a kick-ass drag queen on her side, and Men in Black popping up at the most inconvenient moments, the case proves to be one hell of a ride.

When blind vampire Ian Stott hires thief Raylene Pendle to steal medical documents that may help restore his sight, Raylene learns about Bloodshot, a government-sanctioned project that involved performing cruel experiments on vampires. With the proverbial men in black closing in on her, Raylene follows the Bloodshot document trail from Seattle to Atlanta, where she teams up with a deadly drag queen whose sister was one of the project's victims.… (more)

31 wanted4 pay7 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bloodshot by Cherie Priest was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,903,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible