Bloodshot by Cherie Priest
Recently added byMoranaMora, sunset_x_cocktail, les121, ladyoflorien, hnau, Eisler, private library

English (46)  Italian (1)  All languages (47)
I must admit, the blurb for Bloodshot didn’t do much for me, but I decided to give it a chance anyway and read the first few pages. Raylene’s narration pulled me in immediately. Although Raylene gets caught an awful lot for a supposedly world-class thief, I have to love a vampire who, instead of being all suave, suffers from panic attacks and paranoia. I also enjoyed the supporting characters, Ian, Domino (aka. “the little shit”), Pepper, and of course, ex-Navy SEAL/drag queen Adrian. Overall, some parts are a tad slow, but Bloodshot is just the kind of fun, light-hearted entertainment I was in the mood for. ( )
  les121 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Bloodshot is an urban fantasy novel. It was a quick read and great as a beach book. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Aug 15, 2014 |
One of the best opening lines of a book! Fun story! ( )
  margarita.gakis | Jul 17, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. When I finished it, I immediately did a search to see if there was another in the series, or at least with the same characters. It is uncommon that I enjoy a book enough that I will seek out others by the same author rather than continue through my current reading list...so that might be 'nuff said.

Naw... I'll add more. The main character is strong and independent and non-whiny (nice change for female leads in urban fantasy) and while there are men in the story, she is not dependent on them being around to save her. There are some decent supporting characters - none of which are stereotypical. In fact, it is almost like Priest thought about what *would* be stereotypical in this genre, and twisted them to something else completely.

The ending was not as resolved as I would have liked it to be, but it was not a cliff-hanger, and, of course, it is book one (of two at the moment)... so I suppose there has to be something to resolve to warrant book 2. And I will go out now and get it! ( )
  crazybatcow | Jun 22, 2014 |
Summary: Raylene Pendle is a famous thief who also happens to be a vampire. She's not the sort for friends - letting anyone too close is a good way to be uncovered as being both a criminal and non-human. So when she's approached for a potential job - at her unlisted home address - she's understandably a little wary. Her client is Ian Stott, another vampire. That's unusual enough, but Ian's case has a wrinkle that really grabs Raylene's attention: Ian is the victim of a group that's conducting experiments on vampires, and he wants Raylene to steal the documents relating to the secret project that left him blind. She's intrigued - and outraged - enough that she's willing to help, but going up against the Men in Black may prove too much for even Raylene's formidable skills.

Review: This book was fun to read, and I didn't have any major problems, but in the final analysis, urban paranormal mystery/thriller just isn't a genre that's my favorite, or even one in which I'm particularly interested. I suppose I knew that going in; detective thrillers are usually not my favorites to begin with (and even though Raylene is a thief, she's acting enough like a detective in this case to count). It turns out that making the protagonist a vampire didn't really help a lot - her vampirism takes a back seat for most of the book, usually only making her faster and stronger in a fight. So the meat of the book really is straight-up thriller: people getting into fights and shooting at each other and chasing each other and things getting blown up, etc. So that was fun, Priest keeps things moving quickly and with plenty of action, so I was certainly entertained throughout.

Priest also does a nice job with the characters. Raylene's voice is clear and distinctive, and done without relying on gimmicks or tics or catch phrases that so often substituted for real character development. I particularly liked her interactions with the two street kids she's allowing to squat in her warehouse of stolen goods, and I thought the character of Adrian, the ex-military drag queen who winds up becoming Raylene's sidekick, was done really thoughtfully.

I didn't think the mystery aspect was as well developed as it could have been. There were elements I didn't guess ahead of time, so I guess that's in the book's favor, but I was hoping for something more complicated and interesting than "shadowy government conspiracy", but that's all there was. This may be because there is at least one sequel to the book, so more of the secrets behind Project Bloodshoot may be yet to be revealed, but for this book as a standalone, I didn't find the resolution entirely satisfying. I also don't think I'm particularly likely to pick up the sequel. Again, this is a fine book, well-written, funny, lots of good action and good characterization, and I was certainly entertained the whole way through. But it's just not a genre on which I'm particularly interested in spending much of my time, even if there are vampires involved. 4 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: If you like urban fantasy or mystery thrillers, this is (as far as I can tell) a fun and well-written addition to the field. If you're reading it mostly for the vampires, though, it's probably not going to entirely satisfy. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Mar 28, 2014 |
You wouldn't believe the weird shit people pay me to steal.

Raylene Pendle (AKA Cheshire Red), a vampire and world-renowned thief, doesn’t usually hang with her own kind. She’s too busy stealing priceless art and rare jewels. But when the infuriatingly charming Ian Stott asks for help, Raylene finds him impossible to resist - even though Ian doesn’t want precious artifacts. He wants her to retrieve missing government files: documents that deal with the secret biological experiments that left Ian blind. What Raylene doesn’t bargain for is a case that takes her from the frozen outskirts of Minneapolis to the mean streets of Atlanta. And with a psychotic, power-hungry scientist on her trail, a kick-ass drag queen on her side, and Men in Black popping up at the most inconvenient moments, the case proves to be one hell of a ride.

When blind vampire Ian Stott hires thief Raylene Pendle to steal medical documents that may help restore his sight, Raylene learns about Bloodshot, a government-sanctioned project that involved performing cruel experiments on vampires. With the proverbial men in black closing in on her, Raylene follows the Bloodshot document trail from Seattle to Atlanta, where she teams up with a deadly drag queen whose sister was one of the project's victims.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bloodshot by Cherie Priest was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,251,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible