The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge

The Iron Thorn

by Caitlin Kittredge

Series: The Iron Codex (1)

3622230,006 (3.79)1 / 25

That was an absolute and utter delight. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
Kittredge created something pretty special here. She uses the Lovecraftian tropes and references to create a world that is darkly sinister, but without trying to recreate a Lovecraft Story, which was wise. Aoife is a compelling heroine: strong without resorting to "pluckiness", she can doubt herself and be imperfect without coming off as whiny. The love story was my least favorite part, but I'm sure that won't be the case for all readers. I'm interested to see where the next book in the series goes. ( )
  aliceoddcabinet | Jul 25, 2015 |
Aoife Grayson is in school in 1950s Lovecraft (a steampunk version of Boston) studying to be an engineer and work on the giant subterranean engine that runs the city. She wants to do well in school because the 1950s is super opressive to women so she will have to be someone's secretary unless she gets the extremely technical, physical, and dangerous job of engineer. The other boys and girls in engineering school are mean to her because she is a ward of the state who is attending school on a scholarship, and also her mother is in a madhouse, and her brother went mad on his sixteenth birthday so obviously that means Aoife will go crazy on her 16th birthday as well. The people who run the school tell Aoife that she is going to be kicked out of school because she's definitely going to go crazy, and then she gets a magical message from her brother saying he needs help and telling her to go to their father's house in the country. So Aoife sneakily runs away from the school that just told her she was kicked out and goes to the bad part of town where she . . . .

.....I'm sorry. I can't do it. I can't even pretend that the plot of this book makes any freaking sense whatsoever. The only thing worse than the plot is the characterization. The main character is idiotic and inconsistant and the secondary characters are one-dimensional at BEST. The initial world-building (scientific/steampunk/overly-rational/anti-religon/anti-magic/oppressive dystopia/sexist 1950s/some kind of zombie-virus outbreak?) is absolutely abysmal. And then, Aoife finds another world of fairies and magic which is equally poorly imagined. And then, she finds ANOTHER world which I don't even know what it was because daghsdgfilh9uweroergna67urtyhndfgh435jnfvegethj. And then also there's another world. That pretty much sums it up. "Clusterf***" is the nicest way I can think of to describe it.

I wrote a kind of pre-review for myself when I was halfway done with the book in which I said that the plot was just barely compensating for the uncomfortably-bad writing. Shortly after that the mediocre plot took a nose-dive and now I would neither recommend this book nor read further in the series if you paid me. ( )
5 vote norabelle414 | Jul 16, 2013 |
Dystopian. Steampunk. Dark fantasy. Amazing world building. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Apr 22, 2013 |
Very, very, VERY dark. I liked the basic concepts, but when it had the brief moments of levity, it jarred me too much against the dire backdrops. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |

Caitlin Kittredgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jade, LauraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lazzaretti, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parcell, TrishDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In an alternate 1950s, mechanically gifted fifteen-year-old Aoife Grayson, whose family has a history of going mad at sixteen, must leave the totalitarian city of Lovecraft and venture into the world of magic to solve the mystery of her brother's disappearance and the mysteries surrounding her father and the Land of Thorn.… (more)

108 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible