The Witch's Alphabet by Caitlin Kittredge

The Witch's Alphabet

by Caitlin Kittredge

Series: The Iron Codex (1)

3902727,499 (3.74)1 / 25

English (26)  Dutch (1)  All languages (27)
[‎Thursday, ‎June ‎28, ‎2012] In an alternate 1950s, mechanically gifted fifteen-year-old Aoife Grayson, whose family has a history of going mad at sixteen, must leave the totalitarian city of Lovecraft and venture into the world of magic to solve the mystery of her brother's disappearance and the mysterious surrounding her father and the Land of Thorn.

Today I came home to find this book I won as a giveaway, with the sequel as well, I'm so happy, the covers are gorgeous.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
[ 0EThursday, 0EJune 0E28, 0E2012] In an alternate 1950s, mechanically gifted fifteen-year-old Aoife Grayson, whose family has a history of going mad at sixteen, must leave the totalitarian city of Lovecraft and venture into the world of magic to solve the mystery of her brother's disappearance and the mysterious surrounding her father and the Land of Thorn.

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
We first meet Aoife in a madhouse, where she's trying to comfort her mother. Her mother, who has been insane for most (all?) of Aoife's life, refuses to be comforted, and Aoife leaves the institution in despair, not only for her mother but for herself. Her mother was driven mad by the necrovirus, and Aoife was born with it as well; like the rest of her family, she knows she will become insane by her 16th birthday. Aoife has pushed back her strange, otherworldly nightmares and visions for as long as possible by studying the most rational subjects she can find. She fought to be trained as an Engineer, one of the many who toil to maintain their city's great Engine. But after receiving a chilling letter from her brother, Aoife leaves behind her steady life at the Academy. With her is her best friend, prissy, romantic-minded Cal and their guide, the mysterious Dean. Aoife searches for her brother, but instead she finds that the bedrock of her life is on shaky ground.

This book was a distinct surprise to me. It is far more thoughtful and imaginative than I expected, especially given the title and cover. The worldbuilding is fascinating here: decades ago the necrovirus swept through the world, leaving madness and monsters in its wake, and now humans huddle on the ruins of our world (the city of Lovecraft, for instance, is built on top of the remains of Massachusetts). In this alternate version of the 1960s, areas have become isolated from each other, and travel is closely watched by the fascist Proctors and their clockwork ravens. Both Aoife and Cal accept the Proctors' strictures

tbc ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I loved the "smart girl" main character and the moody, dark world she inhabits. The ghouls were appropriately creepy and alien, and the author created a world of gleaming machines covered in darkness and mist.

However, the pacing was uneven--too slow for the first 400 pages, too fast for the last 100 pages. There was not enough set-up for the twist at the end, making it feel random and unearned. Having to spend 400 pages with the loathesome Cal left a bitter taste in my mouth, and disinclined to continue this series. I'd pick up another book by this author if it had a rip-roaring pace and more well-rounded supporting characters. ( )
  Malora | Jan 18, 2016 |
That was an absolute and utter delight. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |

Caitlin Kittredgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jade, LauraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lazzaretti, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parcell, TrishDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In an alternate 1950s, mechanically gifted fifteen-year-old Aoife Grayson, whose family has a history of going mad at sixteen, must leave the totalitarian city of Lovecraft and venture into the world of magic to solve the mystery of her brother's disappearance and the mysteries surrounding her father and the Land of Thorn.… (more)

145 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible