1022 Evergreen Place by Debbie Macomber

1022 Evergreen Place

by Debbie Macomber

Recently added byJudithDCollins

My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
Mary Jo, single mother of baby Noelle, and Mack Mc Afee find each other. Enjoy the series, but boy is it hard to keep track of all the population of Cedar Cove. Macomber provides a list of characters and you'll need it! ( )
1 vote pennykaplan | Nov 28, 2012 |
After a failed and disastrous affair with David Rhodes, which left her with a beautiful daughter, Mary Jo Wyse is in no hurry to fall in love but she finds herself increasingly drawn to Mack McAfee. Mack is head over heels in love with Mary Jo but doing his best to let Mary Jo fall in love with him. In the meantime, the two are trying to find out what happened to the soldier mentioned in World War II letters they found in Mack's house. Other residents of Cedar Cove have their own issues - Christie is still angry at James for leaving her; despite finding her birth parents Gloria Ashton still has relationship problems; Will Jefferson is doing his best to pursue Shirley Bliss but she seems uninterested; Jolene Peyton still doesn't get along with her stepmother Rachel who has some news that will upset Jolene even more. These are just a few of the stories going on in Cedar Cove.

"1022 Evergreen Place" is the 10th book in Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove series and while I love my visits to Cedar Cove the series becomes more unwieldy with each book as Macomber continues to add characters and plot lines in each book. There are some very nice stories lines, including the Mary Jo/Mack one (and the menacing David pops his head in to cause problems); Shirley Bliss and her daughter Tanith's relationship problems; Gloria's struggles not only with her family, but with Dr. Chad Timmons; Linc and Lori Wyse's problems with her father. Other storylines are good but are quite developed enough, namely, the ongoing saga of the Christie/James romance and the problems Rachel and Bruce are having (since the next book focuses on them this should've been developed more). The writing is a mixed bag - most of it is good, but Macomber relies a bit too much on flashbacks. The wedding of Troy Davis and Faith Beckwith seems thrown in there at the last minute and was rushed. Will Jefferson is a cardboard character. I liked the mystery of the World War II letters (and the resolution of that plot line) but at times Macomber seems to be quoting directly from reference books. Macomber also recycles plot lines - a lot - I groaned when I saw where she was going to Chad/Gloria story.

All in all, "1022 Evergreen Place" has its flaws, but I still enjoyed my visit to Cedar Cove and look forward to visiting again next year. ( )
  drebbles | May 25, 2012 |
I love the Cedar Cove series written by Debbie Macomber.

Each book continues from the previous book, so it is best to read them in order. I did find a lot of repetition with the books but I understand why...because about one book comes out per year, so the author is reminding you what happened before.

I was lucky enough to find this series and purchase the books used online well after the series was written. In fact, I have only had to wait for the last two books to come out.

I highly recommend purchasing the whole set and start reading! ( )
  KathyBrandt | Mar 18, 2012 |
I'm suprised this is the first Cedar Cove series book I have read, but I have a feeling that I may have pre 2006 where i don't have records, I'll have to go through the listing and see what seems familiar.Each year (for ten years) Macomber revisits Cedar Cove and the community she has built. The characters in all of the books entertwine in a morass of family, relationships and friendships and each year she focuses on the emotional connections of primarily one couple. In the spirit of true community though, there is an opportunity to catch up with the latest gossip about characters from previous books in the series. This is truly a strength of this series, that Macomber is able to achieve an almost seamless stand alone novel that has a much broader context.At 1022 Evergreen Place, Mack and Mary Jo are feeling their way through their new relationship, complicated by Mary Jo's ex husband's legacy of fear and spite. Both are likeable characters, Mack is honorable and protective, Mary Jo is a bit spineless, but sympathetic. It's a pleasant if not passionate romance between the two, sweetened by their search for the author of WW2 love letters found hidden in the duplex. In and around their story, Mack's sisters both have secrets to reveal, there is a new romance for Shirley while Bruce and Rachel are struggling to keep it together.It's nice to have these vignettes of other characters and their lives though in some ways they overshadowed Mack and Mary Jo's story.While romance is a big part of these stories , Macomber does explore some interesting family dynamics and characters of a range of ages have a voice in this novel.1022 Evergreen Place is an undemanding, enjoyable light read with engaging characters and small town appeal. It's almost like chatting with a friend on a lazy afternoon over a cup of coffee. ( )
  shelleyraec | May 9, 2011 |

Dear Reader,

Guess what? I'm falling in love! With Mack McAfee.

Come by sometime for a glass of iced tea and I'll show you the letters. Plus I'll tell you the latest about Grace and Olivia, my brother Linc and his wife, Lori (who tied the knot about five minutes after they met!), and all our other mutual friends. Oh, and maybe Mack can join us....

My baby daughter, Noelle, and I have been living next door to Mack since the spring. I'm still a little wary about our relationship, because I haven't always made good decisions when it comes to men. My baby's father, David Rhodes, is testament to that. I'm so worried he might sue for custody. In the meantime, the World War II letters I found are a wonderful distraction. Both Mack and I are trying to learn what happened to the soldier who wrote them and the woman he loved. Come by sometime for a glass of iced tea and I'll show you the letters. Plus I'll tell you the latest about Grace and Olivia, my brother Linc and his wife, Lori (who tied the knot about five minutes after they met!), and all our other mutual friends. Oh, and maybe Mack can join us.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,052,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible