Chazown: Define Your Vision. Pursue Your…

by Craig Groeschel

Member:VirginiaGill
Title:Chazown: Define Your Vision. Pursue Your Passion. Live Your Life on Purpose.
Authors:Craig Groeschel
Info:Multnomah Books (2010), Edition: 1, Paperback, 256 pages

Chazown: Define Your Vision. Pursue Your Passion. Live Your Life on Purpose. by Craig Groeschel

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Chazown is a Bible-based approach to life planning based on five key focus areas of God, People, Finances, Health and Work. It includes 76 chapters but each is only two or three pages long. The brevity makes for fast reading of each chapter but also makes it difficult to go into any deep exploration of a topic. There are lots of personal anecdotes and good sound advice for finding your purpose in life. But somehow I expected something more challenging and grander, given the title which is taken from the Hebrew language. ( )
1 vote Course8 | Feb 22, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a typical self-help book. Nothing unusual -- more anecdotes about the writer's personal life than one really cared to read. Not a bad book, but didn't say anything particularly new and interesting. ( )
  universehall | Sep 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sometimes it seems obvious to me that 21st century pastors in North America interact with people who's basic needs are well met, and so whose felt need is best thought of as self-actualization. When I think that way, I wonder if the church that focuses on personal spiritual development and purpose has given in to an individualistic and self-centred model of church.

At the same time, since the declining trend of religion in Western culture demands churches with vibrant and engaged congregations, I recognize that Christians who are in touch with God given purpose may be better able to engage in Kingdom work. Groeschel definitely comes from that latter perspective. Chazown is a word that describes 'vision', and this book is an attempt at a practical means for individual Christian's to work through their life purpose to that end.

Chazown offers the usual material for that individual project: values, spiritual gifts, life experience, and so on. It moves on to cover different areas of a person's life, and so challenges a person to seek God's will in every area of their life. While there are other tools that do this same work, Groeschel does it as well as most others, making this book useful if it's the first of it's kind you've picked up.

I did find the tone of the book's presentation a bit off-putting. The name feels like an attempt as zest, and words like 'Vision', 'passion' and 'purpose' feel so cliche, that the need for a cool different name results in something a bit contrived. That, of course, doesn't necessarily undermine the content of the book, but it didn't help me feel as open to its goal. ( )
1 vote PastorBob | May 10, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Written in an easy conversational style, this book offers new ways to look at and think about the age old questions. What matters? Why am I here? What should I do next?

It offers ideas/methods to personal growth in a way that is easily palatable to most everyone. Definitely a keeper! ( )
  nasagirl | May 10, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I am not a huge fan of any self help book and I do not think any new ground was covered in this book, I did think the approach was somewhat unique. I don't know any other self help book that would include the following lines "I'm going to let you in on a secret. From this point on, to the end of the book, I'm winging it.". I think the target audience of Christians and possibly people who would not normally seek help through a book might be a good place for this one. ( )
  cranjetta | Dec 24, 2010 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Craig Groeschel's book Chazown was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,164,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible