Safe from the Sea by Peter Geye

Safe from the Sea (edition 2011)

by Peter Geye

Member:coppers
Title:Safe from the Sea
Authors:Peter Geye
Info:Unbridled Books (2011), Edition: First Trade Paper Edition, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Minnesota, read in 2012, read in Aug 2012, shipwrecks, Great Lakes, Duluth, maritime, fathers and sons, fiction, family

Safe from the Sea by Peter Geye

Eventually I'll put together a full review. But for now, I'm just going to say...this book made me cry. Twice. I never cry when I read a book. That may just be all I need to say. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
this book took me by surprise - based on the description, i would not have imagined loving it as much as i did - the writing was so mature and elegant that i didn't realize that this was his first novel - the characters were multidimensional, the descriptions were so clear that i could feel and smell the old farmhouse - the relationship between father and son and between son and his wife were so realistic, and, most surprising for me, the story of the shipwreck kept me fully engaged. a triumphant first work. ( )
  njinthesun | Apr 15, 2014 |
Truly enjoyed this.
Attracted to it because I had stumbled upon & read another book by this author(The Lighthouse Road)and because this has a major storyline of the Great Lakes freighter life and a barely survived wreck.
Traveling along the MI shoreline has made me fascinated by shipping life on the Lakes. That portion of the story-line is compelling as well.
I was surprised just how compelling this book was.
Family is complicated and fortunately these characters have the time and opportunity to discover each other with better understanding and find peace. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
Truly enjoyed this.
I was surprised just how compelling this book was.
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
For Dana, of course. And for F.A., C.D., E.M.
The officer stood the midnight watch, his hand easy on the wooden wheel.

Set against the powerful lakeshore landscape of Northern Minnesota. A heartfelt novel in which a son returns home to reconnect with his estranged and dying father thirty-five years after the tragic wreck of a Great Lakes ore boat that the father onlt partially survived and that has divided them emotionally ever since. When his father for the first time finally tells the story of the horrific disaster he has carried with him so long, it leads the two men to reconsider each other. Meanwhile Noah's own struggle to make a life with an absent father has found its real reward in his relationship with his sagacious wife, Natalie, whose complications with infertility issues have marked her husband's life in ways he only fully realizes as the reconciliation with his father takes shape. (9781609530082)

Set against the powerful lakeshore landscape of northern Minnesota, Safe from the Sea is a heartfelt novel in which a son returns home to reconnect with his estranged and dying father thirty-five years after the tragic wreck of a Great Lakes ore boat that the father only partially survived and that has divided them emotionally ever since. When his father for the first time finally tells the story of the horrific disaster he has carried with him so long, it leads the two men to reconsider each other. Meanwhile, Noah's own struggle to make a life with an absent father has found its real reward i… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Safe from the Sea by Peter Geye was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,874,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible