The Children of the Sky (Zones of Thought)…

The Children of the Sky (Zones of Thought) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Vernor Vinge

Member:ChrisRiesbeck
Title:The Children of the Sky (Zones of Thought)
Authors:Vernor Vinge
Info:Tor Books (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 448 pages
Rating:**

The Children of the Sky by Vernor Vinge (Author) (2011)

I didn't realize until I was most of the way through this book that it is the third in a series. Oops. There were definitely some places where I felt like I was missing some context, but I actually didn't have much trouble diving into the story.

There are a lot of interesting elements to this story. I was fascinated by the idea of the Tines and their hive-minds, and the implications of their telepathic communication. The characters were convincing and likable, and the writing was good.

I'm not quite sure what I thought of the story, and that's probably because this was a middle episode in a much longer story. It was certainly intriguing and suspenseful, and I cared about the characters and what happened to them.

I listened to the audiobook, and Oliver Wyman is one of my favorite narrators. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this in any other medium. ( )
  Gwendydd | Oct 27, 2013 |
Peaking at reviews a lot of people expressed disappointment, so I didn't expect much from this sequel to A Fire Upon the Deep. I beg to differ though--I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and found this just as suspenseful and moving as the previous novels in Zones of Thought trilogy--or, I think, series, since given where this ends this demands more. Maybe that's why some found this a let down. Either of the first books could be read as standalones. There's a good case to be made for reading either of those first two books first, the second book, A Deepness in the Sky being a prequel. That's not true of The Children of the Sky. It's no standalone, and I'm glad I had recently read A Fire Upon the Deep. This begins two years after the first book ends. We meet a lot of old friends again: Pilgrim, Woodcarver, Amdi, Ravna, Johanna, Jefri--and well, others not so cuddly. But there are new characters, alien and human into the mix. If I have any criticism, it's that one development that is supposed to be a shock I could see coming a mile away--although my clue was this writerly thing that those who don't pay close attention to technique might not notice. Otherwise I'm still very charmed by the dog-like Tines, still find Vinge a remarkable storyteller, and I'm looking forward to the next (and last?) book in this series. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Aug 20, 2013 |
Not as immediately immersive as A Fire Upon the Deep, somewhat disappointing after part-readin A Deepness In The Sky recently, I'd have to described this as a curate's egg. The world building, given we've been here before, is wonderfully well handled, as is the integration of the High Lab humans into the Tinish Society.

The tines are the most realised aspect of the book - Woodcarver is, thankfully, largely absent from this book, as is (sadly) Pilgrim. The replacement cast, among them Amdi and others from the first book, is given great depth, and the reader can feel a real connection to these characters, this strength extends to some of the humans, but by no means all.

What isn't handled well is the passage of time - the novel takes huge leaps without real purpose, leading to some frankly bewildering passages. The division of the human society is also mystifying - no understandable motivation is given, other than some hand-waving around Ravna's influence in society.

All in all, a good book, but by no means a great one, and in that respect, I guess its a disappointment. ( )
  dgold | Aug 10, 2013 |
Vinge picks up where Fire Upon the Deep left off. There are still some stranded humans way out on the border in 'slow' space, with the wolf-packish, group intelligence Tines. The humans have had a predictable affect on technology, though the extreme differences with the aliens sends this off on a bit of a different course. I really enjoyed the previous book, but I found this one hard to get into. I was also disappointed that this ended up not resolving very much, the humans have lifted the TInes to an early 20th centry technology level but have split into factions. He clearly has another book in mind. ( )
  Karlstar | May 30, 2013 |
While it's got basically none of the sophistication of Fire upon the Deep, and perhaps my time would have been better spent re-reading that, I still think it's a reasonable (if *narrow*) sequel, as a stepping stone to a future work in which the galaxy pulls itself back together somehow, which moves the characters around (and introduces some major new ones) in mostly convincing ways to set the stage for a real second act. ( )
  eichin | May 10, 2013 |

Vinge, VernorAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To Carol D. Ward and Joan D. Vinge
Two years after the battle on Starship Hill

Ten years have passed on Tines World, where Ravna Bergnsdot and a number of human children ended up after a disaster that destroyed whole worlds and nearly obliterated humankind throughout the galaxy. Ravna and the pack animals for which the planet is named have survived a war, and Ravna has saved more than one hundred children who were in cold-sleep aboard the vessel that saved them. While there is peace among the Tines, there are those among them-and among the humans-who seek power . . . and no matter the cost, these malcontents are determined to overturn the fledgeling civilization that has taken root since the humans landed. On a world of fascinating wonders and terrifying dangers, Vernor Vinge has created a powerful novel of adventure and discovery that will entrance the many readers of A Fire Upon the Deep. Filled with the inventiveness, excitement and human drama that have become hallmarks of his mature work, this new novel is sure to become another great milestone in his already stellar career. (BIP)

"Ten years have passed on Tines World, where Ravna Bergnsdot and a number of human children ended up after a disaster that nearly obliterated humankind throughout the galaxy. Ravna and the pack animals for which the planet is named have survived a war, and Ravna has saved more than one hundred children who were in cold-sleep aboard the vessel that brought them. While there is peace among the Tines, there are those among them--and among the humans--who seek power...and no matter the cost, these malcontents are determined to overturn the fledgling civilization that has taken root since the humans landed. On a world of fascinating wonders and terrifying dangers, Vernor Vinge has created a powerful novel of adventure and discovery that will entrance the many readers of A Fire Upon the Deep. Filled with the inventiveness, excitement, and human drama that have become hallmarks of his work, this new novel is sure to become another great milestone in Vinge's already stellar career. "--… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible