Wings of Fire by Jonathan Strahan
    A Time for Dragons: An Anthology of Philippine Draconic Fiction by Vincent Michael Simbulan (nsblumenfeld)
    nsblumenfeld: Can't get enough dragon stories? Give these Filipino tales a try!

First off, let me say that I have neither a great liking for nor a strong antipathy towards dragons. No, the reason I picked up the Wings of Fire anthology was because it featured stories by two of my favorite authors, Patricia A. McKillip and Jane Yolen, as well as others by writers who I was excited to encounter for the first time: namely, Naomi Novik, Peter S. Beagle, Ursula K. LeGuin, and George RR Martin. (What is it with fantasy authors and middle initials?)

As I look back over these stories, very few jump out at me as being either good or bad. McKillip’s and Yolen’s were a bit disappointing, the first being beautifully written but underdeveloped, the second lacking in emotional resonance. The one poem (by Beagle) was just gross, and several of the prose pieces were unintelligible. Anne McCaffery obviously relied on background for her Pern novels in writing “Weyr Search;” moreover, she seems to be one of those authors who inserts odd punctuation marks into her characters’ names … just to make them look cool. Martin’s “The Ice Dragon” was haunting enough, and Novik’s “In Autumn, A White Dragon Looks over the Wide River” was the one series-based story that worked on its own. Finally, I thought that when it came to exploring the themes of the dragon mythos, the best by far was “Dragon’s Gate” by Pat Murphy … although I cannot remember even that very clearly at the moment. It’s incredible how very forgettable this anthology was.

Of course, I’ve been known to pooh-pooh books before, and then to find that my opinion changes in retrospection. This seems to be particularly the case with short stories. But for now, Wings of Fire gets no recommendation from me. ( )
1 vote ncgraham | Aug 10, 2011 |

Yolen, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zelazny, RogerContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chung, EvanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On the afternoon of August 2, 2008 over too much drink and too many laughs, this book and several others were inspired by Jeremy Lassen and the late Charles N. Brown. This book is dedicated to those two friends and to the memory of that long, fine afternoon.
I keep nine dragons in an old cow barn,
And sometimes I go down to look at them.
This anthology is edited by Jonathan Strahan; Holly Black is one of the contributors.

"Dragons: Fearsome fire-breathing foes, scaled adversaries, legendary lizards, ancient hoarders of priceless treasures, serpentine sages with the ages? wisdom, and winged weapons of war? Wings of Fire brings you all these dragons, and more, seen clearly through the eyes of many of today?s most popular authors, including Peter S. Beagle, Elizabeth Bear, Holly Black, Orson Scott Card, Charles de Lint, Ursula K. Le Guin, Tanith Lee, George R. R. Martin, Anne McCaffrey, Michael Swanwick, and many others" --Cover, p. 4.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,096,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible