The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by…

The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack

by Mark Hodder

Series: Burton and Swinburne (1)

Recently added byjkrzok, Aneris, Olias, Jontis, Pezski, boogirl13, cadolph, xLucix, private library
    The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (souloftherose)
    The Native Star by M. K. Hobson (glshade)
    glshade: MK Hobson's first novel is a surprising Weird Western that fits in well with the other excellent alternate historical fiction of this season... The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack and The Bookman. All three are well written and well envisioned by the authors.… (more)
    The Affinity Bridge by George Mann (simon_carr)
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (GirlMisanthrope)
    The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar (glshade)
    glshade: Readers who enjoyed the alternate historical creation of mark Hodder will most likely enjoy another alternate view of the the Victorian era... this time with more outright Weird, steam and tesla creations.
    Johannes Cabal the Detective by Jonathan L. Howard (GirlMisanthrope)

English (38)  French (1)  All (39)
I'm still processing what I think about this gonzo approach to the steam-punk/Victoriana shtick, on the whole I like it but the story takes awhile to get in gear as Hodder creates his reality from the ground up; imagine a cross between Tim Powers and Charlie Stross. I think I'll be reading more books in this series. ( )
  Shrike58 | Mar 22, 2017 |
While this book starts well it seems to lose its way towards the end.
There is lots of action and it does a good job of introducing the main characters while settin up nicely for a sequel. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Sir Richard Burton is called in to deal with odd events in London. Meanwhile, a time traveler is hopping around London attempting to 'fix' things, but only making them worse. ( )
  majkia | Apr 29, 2016 |
Very good alternate history and steampunk mix. The story rollicks right along until it has to step off to the side and explain Jack, which I think hurt the pace a bit, but the ending was as cinematic and action-packed as one could hope for. ( )
  tigerb | Apr 7, 2016 |
I hate time travel. I don't like all the philosophical goings-on about meeting your old self, killing your parents etc... It just seems lazy for an author to use time travel. It basically means they can do whatever they want and then if they don't like it later, just yell paradox and everything is okay.

That said, this was pretty fun. Swineburne was hilarious. The birds were hilarious. Many of the other characters were colorful and interesting, unique. Most of the steampunk inventions were cool and not just your standard air-ships.

So basically I think I would probably REALLY like books written by the same author without time travel, but for this one 3 stars will have to do. ( )
  ragwaine | Mar 24, 2016 |

Mark Hodderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hiscock, KateIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my father Michael John Hodder
"By God! He's killed himself!"
Charles Darwin had killed God but she and her family, like so many other, still clung to the delusion. pg 33

Sir Richard Francis Burton investigates a strange apparition called Spring Heeled Jack that has been assaulting young women around London.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,161,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible