The Native Star by M. K. Hobson

The Native Star (original 2010; edition 2010)

by M. K. Hobson

4763321,697 (3.7)1 / 35
Title:The Native Star
Authors:M. K. Hobson
Info:Spectra (2010), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:2011, TBR Eradication, Read but unowned

The Native Star by M. K. Hobson (2010)

Warrior by Zoë Archer (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: It is a little heavier on the romance, and is categorized as such, but has the same historical steampunk adventure feeling, with a bit of magic thrown in. Part of a series of four, Zoe Archer's Blades of the Rose battle a colonialist brotherhood to keep magic in the hands of those who it belongs to. Read the series if The Native Star left you wanting more between Dreadnought and Emily!… (more)
    Thirteenth Child by Patricia C. Wrede (SockMonkeyGirl)
    SockMonkeyGirl: Not necessarily intended for the same age group, but with similar worlds.

English (32)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
I enjoyed reading this book, but I felt like I was enjoying it in spite of myself.
It was so, so, so like Cherie Priest's Dreadnought (& Boneshaker) in tone, plot elements and setting that I could almost have believed it was a new book from Priest - except that I don't think she'd use such a trite romance as a driving plot device. (I really dislike the whole romance trope of "I hate you - but wait, that means I'm actually in love with you!" People just don't work like that.)
It also, several times, comes thiiiiis close to getting really preachy about its environmental and socially progressive messages. Not to a Sheri Tepper degree (although I was also reminded of Tepper at moments), and I can't say that I don't agree with the messages: industrialization is not actually progress (even when the industrial pollution is "magical"), but I found myself going, "oh come on, well that's just a bit OBVIOUS" about her metaphors at several junctures.
But yet, I kept reading. Quickly. It's a fast-moving, engaging, fun story. I very well might even go seek out the sequel. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
This was an excellent steampunk western, and I'd fully recommend it to anyone who loves steampunk or just alternative history adventures.

M.K. Hobson blew me away with her world-building and sassy wonderful main characters. Both Emily and Stanton are a such contradiction as in they are polar opposite to each other it's pure fun to see them try and work together.

Emily is a young witch in a backwater country who can't even make a love spell without it going awry, and Dreadnaught is a stuffy young educated warlock who can't help but lament his exile away from civilised society of New York and point Emily's inadequacies to her.

Of course how it often happens, a magical mining explosion releases a horde of zombie-like creatures and unleashes a magical artifact that embeds itself in Emily's palm, and now the couple will have to travel to New York to help Emily to get rid of it.

However be wary of impending magical disaster, treachery among warlocks, a mounting movement of witch burning and political intrigues while they are at it. Add native American magic, cross-dressing, a villain with a flair, and an embarrassing growing attraction between Emily and Stanton, and you'd get an excellent, wonderful adventure!

Highly recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
This was fun. I liked the first half better than the second. There's definitely some (yucky) romance involved that I'm not used to in the fantasy books I usually read.

Some of the dialogue was pretty witty and had us both laughing. Pretty cool world/faction setup but even with pretty dark bad guy it still seemed a little lite. ( )
  ragwaine | Sep 24, 2015 |

A crítica completa encontra-se aqui no meu blog Ler e Reflectir...

Este livro tem muito pouco ou quase nada de steampunk e MUITO de magia. Confesso que não sou grande apreciadora e quando comecei a perceber, logo no primeiro capítulo, que era um livro sobre/com magia, torci o nariz, parei a leitura e só a retomei quando comprei o Kindle. Com o avançar da história fui percebendo que a magia neste universo era abordada de uma forma muito científica e racional e foi isso que me manteve cativada. As explicações de Dreadnought a Emily sobre os vários tipos de práticas de magia fazem compreender melhor este universo e nunca foram aborrecidas.
Emily e Dreadnought partem numa viagem cheia de aventuras, o enredo é interessante e original, muito diferente de tudo aquilo que li até agora. A sensação de faroeste está constantemente presente, com cavalos, pistolas, vestidos com corpetes, índios, comboios... muito bom! O Steampunk surge na segunda metade do livro para a frente mas de forma tão subtil que quem não conhece a estética nem se apercebe da sua presença.
Muito aquém da expectativa (ou até mesmo desnecessário) é o romance entre Emily e Dreadnought. Das duas uma: se a escritora planeava em escrever apenas um livro, podia ter construído o romance desde início ou, se planeava uma série (que é o caso), então não teria terminado como o fez. Achei tudo muito forçado, rápido e seco demais. Passam o tempo a tratarem-se como amigos, sem um vislumbre de desejo em frase nenhuma e, de repente, a Emily está a numa choradeira porque tem o coração partido. É tão insípido que desejei que nunca tivesse acontecido. Se vão escrever um romance mau então não o escrevam! Ficavam amigos durante uns livrinhos e o desejo surgia, depois o romance... seria bem mais empolgante de ler. ( )
  tchetcha | Jan 15, 2015 |
This book had a wonderful beginning. It started with intriguing characters -- a good ol' country witch (the sticks and herbs and perfumes and potions kind) in the Dr. McCoy vein, a hearthrobby lumberjack, and the stuck-up city boy with horrible secrets. It was an intriguing universe too -- the old west with magic. It's a hero's journey story. The first half is great, but the second half feels paddy, where magic can "suddenly" do things just because it can. Just to provide obstacles for the heroes.

At a certain point the story feels more concerned with showing off what this universe can do and the "neat stuff" in it than it does on resolving the plot. It even needs a prologue to tie its beginning and ending together. And nothing in the prologue has any bearing on the plot in-between. I'm surprised this got past the editors -- it's one of the worst reasons for a prologue. It unmade the story for me from the best thing I read this span. ( )
  theWallflower | Mar 14, 2014 |
It is a beauteous evening, calm and free,
The holy time is quiet as a Nun
Breathless with adoration'; the broad sun
Is sinking down in its tranquility;
Listen! The mighty Being is awake,
And doth with his eternal motion make
a sound like thunder - everlastingly.
Dear Child! dear Girl! that walkest with me here,
If though appear untouched by solemn thought,
Thy nature is not therefore less divine:
Thous liest in Abraham's bosom all the year;
And worship'st at the Temple's inner shrine,
God being with thee when we know it not.

William Wordsworth
For Nora
Five loud, sharp crashes.

The year is 1876. In the small Sierra Nevada settlement of Lost Pines, the town Witch, Emily Edwards, is being run out of business by an influx of mail-order patent magics. Attempting to solve her problem with a love spell, Emily only makes things worse. but before she can undo the damage, an enchanted artifact falls into her possession - and suddenly Emily must flee for her life, pursued by evil Warlocks who want the object for themselves.

Dreadnaught Stanton, a Warlock from New York City whose personality is as pompous and abrasive as his name, has been exiled to Lost Pine for mysterious reasons. Now he finds himself involuntarily allied with Emily in a race against time - and across the United States by horse, train and biomechanical flying machine - in quest of the great Professor Mirabilis, who alone can unlock the secret of the coveted artifact. but along the way, Emily and Stanton will be forced to contend with the most powerful and unpredictable magic of all - the magic of the human heart.

In 1876, witch Emily Edwards is forced to run for her life when an enchanted artifact falls into her possession, and she teams up with a warlock from New York City to unlock the secret of the mysterious artifact.

M. K. Hobson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

M. K. Hobson chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 30, 2010 to Sep 6, 2010. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,811,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible