First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride &…

First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice

by Alexa Adams

The author asks the question, 'what would have happened if Mr. Darcy had never spoken so disdainfully' when he first met Elizabeth Bennet. Well I can now answer this question: Nothing. Nothing happens. Well that's not entirely true. Some things do happen, but not enough.

Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet meet at the Meryton Assembly . . . and dance together. From their first meeting they understand each other perfectly. No misunderstandings. No pride. No prejudice. And no spark between Darcy and Elizabeth. Part of what I love about the Pride and Prejudice retellings is the journey the couple makes to be together. And this book didn't have much of a journey. Even Lady Catherine didn't offer any amusement. The only two people that lived up to their reputations were Caroline Bingley and Wickham. However this side-story could have used more page time.

This book had been on my kindle shelf forever. I'm glad I finally got a chance to read it, however I was disappointed. This book had good possibilities, but it fell short.
Read more at http://www.2readornot2read.com/2014/02/review-first-impressions.html#eJyKfD0er12... ( )
  mt256 | Mar 1, 2014 |
Personajes con caracteres suavizados e irónicas escenas

Disfruté mucho de esta variación, sobre todo por el estilo de la autora, es irónica en las descripciones de las situaciones que crea, las interacciones entre los personajes y mostrando ese lado ridículo de las circunstancias ante las normas y etiqueta de la sociedad londinense y sobre todo el aclamado uso del decoro.

Aunque el ritmo de lectura es tranquilo, no por ello aburrido o tedioso, debido justamente a ese tono socarrón que le impregna en toda la lectura.

La trama sigue un camino singular tomando los hechos iniciales del original al surgir la variación, la autora suaviza los caracteres de los personajes, no encontrará personajes nuevos sino algunos ingeniosamente modificados.

El final es abierto con un epílogo que abre boca para la secuela de esta variación.
Hay mucha originalidad de textos con diálogos con mucho humor e ironía.
Las situaciones ya conocidas del original como lo de Hunsford y el encuentro en Pemberley no ocurren, pero en su reemplazo, los mismos personajes son conducidos a otros caminos muy divertidos.

Los personajes son suavizados en sus formas, lo cual no genera momentos de grandes angustias, pero sí situaciones comprometidas que son vistas bajo una luz de chispa y humor. Una variación cálida y entrañable.

http://warmisunquausten.blogspot.com.es/2013/10/libro-01-first-impressions.html ( )
  Warmisunqu_Austen | Oct 22, 2013 |
A delightful variation of JA's own, Pride and Prejudice, sans the foibles of that book's illustrious characters. Here, the reader is treated to reason and rectitude, rather than rancour and raucousness. Thus, allowing for a read of pleasing diversion. Which is not to say there aren't surprising twists to add to our reading enjoyment. Quite the opposite. Setting to rights a particular grievance from the original.. can we all say 'Wickham'? all done in excellent humour and in keeping with JA's wit, dialogue and description of the era by a most capable author, Alexa Adams. Definitely "A Tale of Less P&P" as revealed by the title byline.

Reading Satisfaction. Thank you, Alexa! ( )
  FHC | Jun 13, 2013 |
Make it stop. We do not need any more reinterpretations of Pride and Prejudice. Yes, very romantic. Part of the romantic part is tension of separation and conflict -- will Lizzy and Darcy ever get together? It's like Mulder and Scully -- once their relationship became more resolved, it was infinitely more boring.

I agree with the previous reviewer that without any sort of conflict or plot in particular, this becomes a rather flat book. While you would think you'd be very happy to see that Darcy and Lizzy can be together so much earlier, and so much more easily, it turns out that's not what works for true enjoyment of Pride and Prejudice.

This book is not bad, however. It's light and fluffy and far more enjoyable than the other Austenalia book I just finished, Mr. and Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One. It read like soft-core er ... romance, and it had little to recommend itself. I have not finished this book yet, First Impressions, but I expect slightly better things.

I liken First Impressions to a Twinkie. You think you will like it, having good memories of enjoying sweet goodness. But when you eat it, there's no substance, too much sugar, and you feel like you've done a bad thing to yourself. There's no nutritional value, and you say never again. At least until the next time.

EDIT -- I did finish this, but it was an effort. I'm done with this subgenre. There was no conflict and the best parts of the original were skimmed over or eliminated. Less pride and prejudice equals nothing much at all. ( )
2 vote mbmeadow | Oct 16, 2010 |
I am currently reading this book now, but not sure I'll be able to finish it. There is absolutely no conflict between the protagonists. All of the sparkle and wit has been removed. It seems as if this author was set on a mission to take out everything that made Pride and Prejudice the great classic that it is. Although I thought I would want them to fall in love from the begining, I now see that I don't. ( )
2 vote Ksnow | Sep 6, 2010 |

Is a retelling of

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,536,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible