Cross by James Patterson

Cross (original 2006; edition 2006)

by James Patterson

Member:jmiesner
Title:Cross
Authors:James Patterson
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2006), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages

Cross by James Patterson (2006)

English (63)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (67)
Review: Cross by James Patterson. 05/19/2017

I don’t think I have to say much about James Patterson’s writing style. I feel with his books it’s a hit or miss story and this one I really liked. His books are a fast read and most of the time interesting. This book is the 12th in his Cross Series.

After the death of Alex Cross’s wife Maria, he needed time to find himself again and raise his children with the help from his grandmother. It was a struggle for him because he wanted vengeance for the murder of his wife. His revenge was simmering but the love of his children was stronger. As time went on he left the FBI and began his back-up career in a small office. Alex is now working as a psychologist and slowing building his cliental which was best for his time with his family. He still kept in touch with his former partner, John Sampson who was also his friend.

A few years after his wife’s murder Alex felt like he finally has his life in order until one day his former partner calls him about a case he is working on and asked Alex for his help. Alex was hesitant until he heard Sampson was tracking down a serial rapist who is also a hit-man. His MO is brutally raping women and threatens to come back and kill them if they tell anyone and shows them photo’s of women he murdered and cut up in pieces with a scalpel or saw. It was enough that most did not give any descriptions of their rapist.

The rapist was true to his words. A women he had just raped had talked so his second visit was brutal and death followed. As Alex and Sampson are on the trail of the rapist something jarred Alex and he thought he knew who murdered his wife. There were surprising twist and turns throughout the book and the story went completely in another direction. There were some graphic scenes as one reviewer claimed but I thought the story was suspenseful and as a James Patterson’s fan I think the person was reading the wrong book…. ( )
  Juan-banjo | May 22, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this Alex Cross book. Alex resigns from the FBI and starts up his own practice. However he gets called in on a case as its linked to the murder of his wife Maria. What I liked about this book the most was the information provided about Maria. From the 1st book, we've known she was killed but this book gives us the background info. I read this in 12 hours and am about to start Double Cross. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Oct 31, 2016 |
  Nataliec7 | Jun 26, 2016 |
Number 12 in the series answers a lot of questions from previous books. Our hero chases a bad guy who killed Cross' wife. Characters are exquisite. I liked Samson, who's a really bad (good guy) dude. Nana-moma is also a strong character. Read in series, these books form a great story--where's the next one? ( )
  buffalogr | Jun 26, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this installment in the Alex Cross series. This is an example of when audiobook narrators improve the story. There were two narrators--one for Alex Cross and one for The Butcher. This normally doesn't impress me, but this time it added to the suspense. I really enjoyed going back and forth getting both points of view. The story was gripping, and the final chapter was well-written. I will admit that the epilogue was unnecessary. It annoyed rather than built suspense for the next book.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
De moordenaar van Maria Simpson Cross, echtgenote van Alex Cross, werd nooit gevonden. Maar daar zou na 10 jaar wel eens verandering in kunnen komen...
Dedicated to the Palm Beach Day School; Shirley and Headmaster Jack Thompson
THOMPSON: I'm Dr. Thompson with Berkshires Medical Center. How many shots did you hear?
Bk 12 'Cross' is also published as 'Alex Cross' but is NOT the same as 'I, Alex Cross' which is Bk 16 in the series - Please do not combine

Alex Cross's most terrifying--and emotional--case may destroy him. Alex Cross was a rising star in the Washington, D.C., Police Department when an unknown man gunned down his wife. But his need for vengeance was placed on hold as he raised his children himself. Years later, Alex leaves the FBI to work as a full-time psychologist. His life finally feels like it's in order--until Cross's former partner, John Sampson, gives him a chilling phone call. Sampson is tracking a serial rapist whose brutal MO includes threatening his victims with terrifying photos. Now Cross and Sampson need the help of the rape victims to stop the predator. When the case triggers a connection to his wife's death, Alex may finally catch the murderer. Is this a chance for justice at long last? Or the culminating scene in his own deadly obsession?

Alex Cross was a rising star in the Washington, DC, Police Department when an unknown shooter gunned down his wife, Maria, in front of him. Alex's need for vengeance was placed on hold as he faced another huge challenge-raising his children without their mother.

Years later Alex is making a bold move in his life. He has left the FBI and set up practice as a psychologist once again. His life with Nana Mama, Damon, Jannie, and little Alex finally feels like it's in order. He even has a chance at a new love.

Then Cross's former partner, John Sampson, calls in a favor. He is tracking a serial rapist in Georgetown, one whose brutal modus operandi includes threatening his victims with terrifying photos. Cross and Sampson need the testimonies of these women to stop the predator, but the rape victims refuse to reveal anything about their attacker.

When the case triggers a connection to Maria's death, Alex may have a chance to catch his wife's murderer after all these years. Is this a chance for justice at long last? Or the culminating scene in his own deadly obsession?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:34 -0400)

Years after his wife Maria is gunned down by an unknown shooter, a crime that has never been solved, psychologist Alex Cross is called in by his former partner, John Sampson, who wants his help on a case that reveals a connection to Maria's death.

1969 avail.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible