Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

Low Red Moon (edition 2010)

by Ivy Devlin

162None73,406 (3.22)4
Member:stillTrouble
Title:Low Red Moon
Authors:Ivy Devlin
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2010), Hardcover, 256 pages

Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

Abigail's review had me add this to my TBR pile, read it at All Things Urban Fantasy.
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
Oddly, LOW RED MOON was both more and less than I had expected.

I started the novel thinking that the paranormal aspects would be the focus, but quickly found that this was not the case. From early on in the novel the reader knows that Ben is a werewolf. To be honest, the reader actually knows as soon as they read the description. I assumed, since this fact is clearly pointed out, it would be a much bigger focus. Instead, this element is almost unnecessary. This novel could have had the same ending without anything paranormal occurring. I would have appreciated more backstory and lore regarding this aspect of the novel.

I was much more impressed by the rest of LOW RED MOON. In my opinion, Avery's grief ended up being the main focus. Sometimes I felt like it was almost too much of a focus... I sometimes find it frustrating when reading novels with strong themes of loss and grief. I understand why Avery would spend so much time grieving - her parents were just brutally murdered - but I felt that it made much of the novel repetitive, especially when she was trying to recall what happened that night. She never really moved past having seen "a flash of silver" that was "inhuman." I felt like that element could have been further developed...

I found the romance to be surprisingly intense. Most of the novel seemed to move at a slow pace, but not when it came to Ben and Avery. Those passages are what kept my interest when it occassionally flagged. I wish the relationship and why they felt so strongly for one another would have been explained in more detail. I felt like I was missing some key information.

Overall, LOW RED MOON was a good mystery with a passionate romance and a dash of the supernatural thrown in for good measure. Not the best, but it could've been. I'd definitely read more from Ivy Devlin, but, in her next novel, I hope to see greater exploration of the paranormal elements! ( )
  thehidingspot | Mar 31, 2012 |
I received Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin for review from 1 ARC Tours. I actually signed up and was really excited to read it. Low Red Moon is a very fast paced book. It starts with Avery being found by her parents dead bodies, and how she has no memory of who or what killed her parents. All she can remember is all the blood she had on her hands and her clothes. She lives in a small town so everyone in the town knows what happened to her and how she cannot remember.Whenever Avery walks into a school it is uncomfortable for her because everyone just stares at her. She tries very hard through out the whole book to try to remember exactly what happened. Avery meets Ben, a new boy in school who is already different from the other students. At first Ben and Avery do not say a word to each other, but that changes one day when Avery decides to take a walk in the woods. She bumps into Ben in the woods and their relationship kicks off from there. Low Red Moon is a very suspenseful story. Avery has no idea what happened to her parents and as she continues to try and remember, things just go from bad to worse. Those she thought she could trust are now giving her doubt, including Ben.To me Low Red Moon was an okay book. I felt that Ivy Devlin did not really give us a lot about her characters for me to like any of them. Ben and Avery's relationship was rushed. I love a book that gets to the point from page one, but I also like it when it all makes sense. With Low Red Moon the more I kept reading the more I felt like something was just missing in the story. I had no connection with Ben or Avery at all. Though you can feel a chemistry between the two, it just did not feel real. Ben does not say a word to Avery and then one day in the woods they bump into each other share two or three words and then kiss.The Plot of the story is actually really good and that is what kept me reading. Ivy had a very good story to tell, but like I said before, she could have added more to the story and given us more about her characters. I kept reading and felt where Ivy Devlin was trying to take the story, but it just did not get there. It was good enough to keep hold of my attention and continue to read, but It could have been so much better in my opinion. The ending was really good and if there were a part two I would try to read it. I do want to say though, that the ARC I have is only 196 pages and GoodReads says it's really 256 pages. So I am hoping that she added more to the story and it all falls into place because I don't think this ARC did the book justice. ( )
  DamarisGCR | Nov 18, 2011 |
One word can sum up how I feel about this book and that is AMAZING!!!! I can't wait until 2012 for the next book. It's just too long.

This was a different take on the werewolf stories. I was completely surprised by the ending because it was so unpredictable. I think that was my favorite aspect of the book was the spontaneity ( )
  graceschumann | Oct 6, 2011 |
Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin.
Avery's parents are dead, and the only thing she can remember about it is that she saw silver, deadly silver moving inhumanely fast. The more Avery wishes to remember who killed her parents, the more she can't. The only thing she can do is slowly piece her life back together.
Avery meets Ben in school, he is the mysterious new boy, she feels a strong connection she has never felt before. At first she trusts him totally, then she notices that his eyes flash silver, she's not the only one who remembers the flashes of silver the night her parents died.
I really enjoyed this brilliant book and wonder what the identity of the acclaimed author as Ivy Devlin is a pseudonym she is using. All I can say is if you loved Shiver, or Twilight you will adore this Teen novel.
  Sanz71 | Sep 24, 2011 |
I was covered in blood when the police found me.

The only thing Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents died is that she saw silver—deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed them, she can't, and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together. Then Avery meets the new boy in school—Ben, mysterious and beautiful, with whom she feels a connection like nothing she's ever experienced. When Ben reveals he's a werewolf, Avery still trusts him—at first. Then she sees that sometimes his eyes flash inhuman silver. And she learns that she's not the only one who can't remember the night her parents died.Part murder mystery, part grief narrative, and part heart-stopping, headlong romance, Low Red Moon is a must-read for teen paranormal fans. As breathless as Twilight and as spooky as Shiver, this is a book to be devoured in one sitting—by an acclaimed YA author making her paranormal debut under the pseudonym Ivy Devlin.

Seventeen-year-old Avery can remember nothing to explain her parents' violent death in the woods where they live, but after meeting Ben, a mysterious new neighbor, she begins to believe some of the stories she has heard about creatures of the forest.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible