Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

Low Red Moon (edition 2010)

by Ivy Devlin

1904462,147 (3.22)4
Member:stillTrouble
Title:Low Red Moon
Authors:Ivy Devlin
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2010), Hardcover, 256 pages

Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

This book was too short. Avery watched her parents get brutally murdered, and she can't remember anything that happened. Now she is living with Renee, a grandmother she has avoided for many years and trying to adjust to living in town. There is also Ben, who she feels strongly connected to.

I did like the story and I loved learning about Avery. She was a very interesting character and I liked seeing how her nontraditional upbringing had made her stronger. There was a great twist and I would never have figured out the ending. I also really liked Renee.

What disappointed me about the story was that there was no character development for Ben. I understand who he is and how he got to the town and his connection to Avery; but really we don't know anything else about him or what kind of person he is. Just that he has had a difficult life and has a strong connection to Avery. There were also a few parts of the story that could have been better developed. I would have loved to understand more about what Ben and Louis were and I would also have loved to have a better understanding regarding Avery's connection to the forest. Hopefully the author will write a sequel that goes a little bit more in depth into these matters. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Alright this is one of those books that falls into what type of category should I put this in. At first glance and through the reading style I would definitely say Young Adult then be done with it but after reading it I would hesitate with that category since if I had children I don't want them reading something that is somewhat blatantly sexual in the bits and pieces that do appear even though I know around the teenage years they are prone to explore in that aspect so this book is one of those "Blood & Chocolate" types where it could be but I definitely wouldn't agree with Young Adult writings so I am putting it in my romance section even when it has missed that mark.

Aesthetically this was a gorgeous book even in the limited funds. The cover was metallic and so it did glow thus catching your eye. The title page and the following leaf were red with white trees while in the corner of almost each page you had a small red-colored inset or what could have been a red-colored hanging tree to start the chapter off. And the best part of the aesthetics in my opinion was that each time the word moon appeared in the book it was presented in a red color although the moon wasn't as important to the story as one would think it would be.

The story was a bit repetitive but it fit with the young trauma-struck young adult theme going on. Meanwhile the writing was easy, flowed simply and wasn't hard to follow along so it does make for a quick and very easy to read book.

The one thing that I found was annoying was some depth to the characters. I can forgive the heroine of the book in a sense for she was going through a lot but Ben could have had a better amount of character as could his uncle and Avery's grandmother who were just as much main characters but with lack of personalities.

All in all it was interesting. Reminded me of another werewolf-type book I read but cannot remember the name of while also having a type of Twilight-element with the bonding of creatures that cannot be separated type. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 26, 2015 |
I was covered in blood when the police found me.

The only thing Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents died is that she saw silver—deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed them, she can't, and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together. Then Avery meets the new boy in school—Ben, mysterious and beautiful, with whom she feels a connection like nothing she's ever experienced. When Ben reveals he's a werewolf, Avery still trusts him—at first. Then she sees that sometimes his eyes flash inhuman silver. And she learns that she's not the only one who can't remember the night her parents died.Part murder mystery, part grief narrative, and part heart-stopping, headlong romance, Low Red Moon is a must-read for teen paranormal fans. As breathless as Twilight and as spooky as Shiver, this is a book to be devoured in one sitting—by an acclaimed YA author making her paranormal debut under the pseudonym Ivy Devlin.

Seventeen-year-old Avery can remember nothing to explain her parents' violent death in the woods where they live, but after meeting Ben, a mysterious new neighbor, she begins to believe some of the stories she has heard about creatures of the forest.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,779,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible