Families and How to Survive Them by Robin…

Families and How to Survive Them (1983)

by Robin Skynner (Author), John Cleese (Author)

English (4)  Dutch (2)  All languages (6)
Excellent. Written as conversations between John Cleese (of Fawlty Towers fame) and his family therapist, Robin Skynner. This book looks at psychiatry for the layman, in terms of why some people are happy while others aren't; why some people have repressed emotions, and what happens to them; what can cause people to become 'stuck' in their development from babyhood. I don't agree with every word - the recommendations about strict discipline for children seem over-harsh to me, for instance - but much of what's said is revelatory and fascinating. I first read this about twelve years ago, and found it extremely helpful in understanding my sons better. Even now, as an empty-nester, I can see a lot of value in this for self-help, and figuring out how people tick and why some are easier to get along with than others - quite apart from their different personality preferences.

The humour is decidedly 'British', and a non-British friend once told me that she simply didn't get the cartoons, which she even found mildly offensive in places. Take it with a pinch of salt - but if you ever wanted to know why some families get along and others don't, in broad terms, I'd recommend this book highly. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
My goodness, was this accepted as true thirty years ago?

Robin Skynner says that the parents are to blame for everything that goes wrong in a child, except they can't help it because of their parents. Pretty hopeless, really.

Especially to blame for sexual 'deviance'. He specifically doesn't want homosexuallity called perversion, but he is convinced that it is caused by the upbringing and could be cured if the patient really wanted that. (But too much trouble really, so we don't bother. And we won't insist on rubbing it in that it's really very abnormal, even if it is. Aren't we kind and considerate?)

He also seems to think that all interaction between mental and physical illness starts at the mental side, and that medicinal care could be replaced with psychiatric treatment. ( )
1 vote MarthaJeanne | Feb 20, 2014 |
Spooky good. Some may question the science, and I wondered if the information is dated, but it made so much sense that I have nothing bad to say about it. ( )
  MsNikki | Jan 22, 2012 |
Written in an unconventional dialogue form, this book explores the inner workings of the modern family, and the interactions between couples and their children.
  antimuzak | Nov 25, 2005 |

Skynner, RobinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cleese, JohnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Handelsman, J. B.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stigter, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195204662, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:00 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible