Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin

Fevre Dream (1982)

by George R. R. Martin

Recently added byrena75, Nirleth, Joe_Seph, stgemma, EmiD, MiKlaz

English (72)  Finnish (1)  All languages (73)
There is a lot to like about this mash-up of horror, fantasy and historical fiction. Martin's talent for characterisation is already beginning to shine through in this early work of his, although it is limited to the two main heroes, riverboat Captain Abner Marsh and his business partner, Joshua York, with a nod given to the principal anti-hero.

The thing I liked the most were actually the historical parts. You see, more than a work of the horror or fantasy genres, this is a novel about the American South and perhaps even more a novel about the lives of steamboat sailors on the Mississippi river in the antebellum era, through which the main conflict arises.

The main conflict is race relations, although the time- and location-appropriate issues of slavery and relations between white and black Americans are a bit in the background. The center stage is reserved for the human-vampire racial conflict.

In Fevre Dream, vampires are simply a different race. Yes, they live extremely long lives and yes, they need human blood for sustenance. But they are not all-powerful and, most importantly, they do not glitter. (They also do not fear garlic). Their most important weakness is fertility - I guess they are like pandas in the sense that it is difficult for them to make babies. This is why there is only an insignificant amount of them left in the world and they hide from humanity, lest their cousin race descends upon them and kills them all.

Is there a solution that would enable the two races to co-exist? Can the nearly extinct vampire race solve the blood problem, perhaps through scientific advancement brought about by the industrial revolution, and preserve itself? Will the fanatics on both sides destroy any chance of peaceful co-existence or will cooler heads prevail? Will (white) humanity shed itself of the horrors of slavery and start treating other races as equal?

Does Violet love Joshua or are they just having nasty vampire sex?

Read this excellent blend of historical fiction and horror fantasy to find out. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Mi reseña del "Sueño del Fevre":

Leer aquí ( )
  LuisBermer | Sep 2, 2018 |
Great take on a classic theme ( )
  amuskopf | Jun 7, 2018 |
I get the slightly different take a vampires, and i do mean slightly because I can't place it but I'm pretty sure it's been done before. I get the steamboats, which alone was a super interesting aspect of the book and the descriptions were great. I get the characters, they were for the most part rounded out enough for my liking without going too far. However, the ending was rushed and wasn't gratifying, Joshua was boring and Marsh was predictable. There really were no surprises in the whole book (and if there were it's just because you weren't paying attention). ( )
  PoesRaven42 | Feb 5, 2018 |
I liked this book much more than I expected. I've struggled with some of Martin's other works, but this one was quite satisfying. I'm not sure if it's story about a river, vampires, or an allegorical tale reminding us that just because something is broken, there's always the chance it can be put right. Ah, who cares? It was an enjoyable read on all levels. I especially enjoyed the bits about the river. ( )
  MsMaison | Dec 5, 2017 |

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Flynn, DannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, JustinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Howard Waldrop, a helluva writer, a helluva friend, and a fevered dreamer if ever there was one.
Abner Marsh rapped the head of his hickory walking stick smartly on the hotel desk to get the clerk's attention.
So we'll go no more a-roving, So late into the night.

When struggling riverboat captain Abner Marsh receives an offer of partnership from a wealthy aristocrat, he suspects something’s amiss. But when he meets the hauntingly pale, steely-eyed Joshua York, he is certain. For York doesn’t care that the icy winter of 1857 has wiped out all but one of Marsh’s dilapidated fleet. Nor does he care that he won’t earn back his investment in a decade. York has his own reasons for wanting to traverse the powerful Mississippi. And they are to be none of Marsh’s concern—no matter how bizarre, arbitrary, or capricious his actions may prove.

Marsh meant to turn down York’s offer. It was too full of secrets that spelled danger. But the promise of both gold and a grand new boat that could make history crushed his resolve—coupled with the terrible force of York’s mesmerizing gaze. Not until the maiden voyage of his new sidewheeler Fevre Dream would Marsh realize he had joined a mission both more sinister, and perhaps more noble, than his most fantastic nightmare...and mankind’s most impossible dream.
Here is the spellbinding tale of a vampire’s quest to unite his race with humanity, of a garrulous riverman’s dream of immortality, and of the undying legends of the steamboat era and a majestic, ancient river.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:19 -0400)

During the icy winter of 1857, riverboat man Abner Marsh is made captain of his own grand Mississippi steamboat by Joshua York, a vampire intent upon saving his maligned race from extinction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,486,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible