Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin

Fevre Dream (1982)

by George R. R. Martin

English (61)  Finnish (1)  All languages (62)
...Martin may be a fine writer but he didn't convince me to try more vampire novels with Fevre Dream. In the end it is his handling of the characters and the historical backdrop that carry the novel for me. The vampire story itself is rather predictable for a novel published before the Urban Fantasy boom and the introduction of glittering vampires. It's entertaining but of the novels Martin produced in his pre-Hollywood period, this is not the one that stands out. Ironically perhaps, I vastly prefer The Armageddon Rag, the novel that almost wrecked Martin's career. Not everybody will agree with me though. If you like your vampires without glitter, in the hands of an author who can tell a good story, Fevre Dream is worth a try.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | Mar 28, 2016 |
I picked this book up because I wanted to sample Martin's writing without getting into the LONG A Song of Ice and Fire series and I was basically pleased. There were some things I loved, the main character Abner for example. You just don't come across many middle aged, fat, harry, warty, UGLY protagonists and I appreciated it. Plus, I just plain liked him.

There were also things I hated, the frequent use of the "N-word" being one of them. Now, I understand this is set largely in 1857, on the Mississippi River. Slavery was a reality and no, people of the time wouldn't have used polite language. I get it. But it's still nails-on-a-chalkboard for me to read and pulled me out of the narrative every-time, especially when the word was used in the narration in addition to dialogue I could blame on a character. Maybe it just wasn't needed quite so OFTEN.

The story itself was fairly straightforward, but took enough turns to keep things interesting. I did think it was bogged down with steamboat information, but I never quite reached boredom. There were also some interesting moral questions explored by the main characters, though this was only a small part of the book. It had a great ending though.

Al in all, I enjoyed the book well enough to trust the author with a longer series. I'll happily read more of Martin's work. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
According to Martin's web site, this is his "favorite of my early novels."
Although it doesn't share the scope, breadth or flavor of 'A Song of Ice and Fire,' I have to say that I'd highly recommend this entertaining vampire story.
I'm surprised it hasn't been optioned for a movie - I kept 'seeing' it on film while I was reading it.
The first vampire scene reminded me of Anne Rice, but probably only because vampires in a decadent, Southern, 19th century setting have become associated with her writing. The rest of the story did not seen like something she would have written.
The main character is the down-on-his-luck, fat, ugly, crusty - but honorable and eminently likable riverman Abner Marsh. When he receives an offer from a mysterious and suave character who offers to bail out his bankrupt steamboat company - on the condition that he not ask any awkward questions - it's a deal to which he can't say no.
However, after his new partner and his friends are on board - but don't appear on deck in broad daylight - and the ship's ports of call along the Mississippi seem to oddly correspond to sites of unsolved murders in the newspapers... Marsh can no longer refrain from asking questions... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed the first few Game of Thrones books and this certainly had a fast pace, interesting backdrop and likeable characters. The only problem being that it's a vampire book and at some point they inevitably become farcical. I liked bits, I liked the trade up the Mississippi and the age of steamboats. I wasn't so keen on the vampires. I'd probably have loved this 20 years ago though (actually I know I would have!) and it was a light and entertaining enough read but has reaffirmed that I never want to read The Twilight Saga. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flynn, DannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, JustinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Howard Waldrop, a helluva writer, a helluva friend, and a fevered dreamer if ever there was one.
Abner Marsh rapped the head of his hickory walking stick smartly on the hotel desk to get the clerk's attention.
So we'll go no more a-roving, So late into the night.

When struggling riverboat captain Abner Marsh receives an offer of partnership from a wealthy aristocrat, he suspects something’s amiss. But when he meets the hauntingly pale, steely-eyed Joshua York, he is certain. For York doesn’t care that the icy winter of 1857 has wiped out all but one of Marsh’s dilapidated fleet. Nor does he care that he won’t earn back his investment in a decade. York has his own reasons for wanting to traverse the powerful Mississippi. And they are to be none of Marsh’s concern—no matter how bizarre, arbitrary, or capricious his actions may prove.

Marsh meant to turn down York’s offer. It was too full of secrets that spelled danger. But the promise of both gold and a grand new boat that could make history crushed his resolve—coupled with the terrible force of York’s mesmerizing gaze. Not until the maiden voyage of his new sidewheeler Fevre Dream would Marsh realize he had joined a mission both more sinister, and perhaps more noble, than his most fantastic nightmare...and mankind’s most impossible dream.
Here is the spellbinding tale of a vampire’s quest to unite his race with humanity, of a garrulous riverman’s dream of immortality, and of the undying legends of the steamboat era and a majestic, ancient river.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:19 -0400)

During the icy winter of 1857, riverboat man Abner Marsh is made captain of his own grand Mississippi steamboat by Joshua York, a vampire intent upon saving his maligned race from extinction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,816,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible