Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin

Fevre Dream (1982)

by George R. R. Martin

English (59)  Finnish (1)  All languages (60)
According to Martin's web site, this is his "favorite of my early novels."
Although it doesn't share the scope, breadth or flavor of 'A Song of Ice and Fire,' I have to say that I'd highly recommend this entertaining vampire story.
I'm surprised it hasn't been optioned for a movie - I kept 'seeing' it on film while I was reading it.
The first vampire scene reminded me of Anne Rice, but probably only because vampires in a decadent, Southern, 19th century setting have become associated with her writing. The rest of the story did not seen like something she would have written.
The main character is the down-on-his-luck, fat, ugly, crusty - but honorable and eminently likable riverman Abner Marsh. When he receives an offer from a mysterious and suave character who offers to bail out his bankrupt steamboat company - on the condition that he not ask any awkward questions - it's a deal to which he can't say no.
However, after his new partner and his friends are on board - but don't appear on deck in broad daylight - and the ship's ports of call along the Mississippi seem to oddly correspond to sites of unsolved murders in the newspapers... Marsh can no longer refrain from asking questions... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed the first few Game of Thrones books and this certainly had a fast pace, interesting backdrop and likeable characters. The only problem being that it's a vampire book and at some point they inevitably become farcical. I liked bits, I liked the trade up the Mississippi and the age of steamboats. I wasn't so keen on the vampires. I'd probably have loved this 20 years ago though (actually I know I would have!) and it was a light and entertaining enough read but has reaffirmed that I never want to read The Twilight Saga. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
I love a good vampire story, and this was a very good one. No angsty, sparkly vampires to be seen here, just very dangerous ones you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley, or on a Mississippi riverboat. The Mississippi river, and the riverboat setting add so much atmosphere to this book, it is as much about them as it is about vampires.

We all know George RR Martin can write. This is one of his early books, and all his skills are on display here. ( )
  weesam | Jan 4, 2016 |
Nowadays GRRM is synonymous with his A Song of Ice and Fire series. Years before he became a household name he published some wonderful novels and short stories. Fevre Dream is the best of them. An extremely well written vampire novel with well thought out details about how the vampires live and how some of them work hard to integrate peacefully into human society. Good and bad vamps fight it out but none of them well coiffed and sparkle uselessly in the sun. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
This is a very non-traditional vampire story, set as it is in the slave ridden south and along the Mississippi with riverboats. The vampires are presented as another species, using the various myths and legends about their kind as camouflage but are incapable of doing those things. It is also a story about how time can destroy everything all by itself. Good things, bad things, valuable things, all crumble and become less than they were are as time passes. ( )
  susanbeamon | Nov 6, 2015 |

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flynn, DannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, JustinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Howard Waldrop, a helluva writer, a helluva friend, and a fevered dreamer if ever there was one.
Abner Marsh rapped the head of his hickory walking stick smartly on the hotel desk to get the clerk's attention.
So we'll go no more a-roving, So late into the night.

When struggling riverboat captain Abner Marsh receives an offer of partnership from a wealthy aristocrat, he suspects something’s amiss. But when he meets the hauntingly pale, steely-eyed Joshua York, he is certain. For York doesn’t care that the icy winter of 1857 has wiped out all but one of Marsh’s dilapidated fleet. Nor does he care that he won’t earn back his investment in a decade. York has his own reasons for wanting to traverse the powerful Mississippi. And they are to be none of Marsh’s concern—no matter how bizarre, arbitrary, or capricious his actions may prove.

Marsh meant to turn down York’s offer. It was too full of secrets that spelled danger. But the promise of both gold and a grand new boat that could make history crushed his resolve—coupled with the terrible force of York’s mesmerizing gaze. Not until the maiden voyage of his new sidewheeler Fevre Dream would Marsh realize he had joined a mission both more sinister, and perhaps more noble, than his most fantastic nightmare...and mankind’s most impossible dream.
Here is the spellbinding tale of a vampire’s quest to unite his race with humanity, of a garrulous riverman’s dream of immortality, and of the undying legends of the steamboat era and a majestic, ancient river.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:19 -0400)

During the icy winter of 1857, riverboat man Abner Marsh is made captain of his own grand Mississippi steamboat by Joshua York, a vampire intent upon saving his maligned race from extinction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,246,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible