Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin

Fevre Dream (1982)

by George R. R. Martin

Recently added byladypembroke, NicolePatrick, SarahL92, private library, mhatchett, AlexGordon, Bookish59, AMKee

English (48)  Finnish (1)  All languages (49)
Interesting take on the vampire mythos. I'll not spoil it here, but I'm not sure I've heard it before. As always, Martin pulls no punches on who lives or dies, so do not get too attached to pretty much anyone. Of course, in a vampire novel, people should die. And Martin also pulls no punches in describing the gore, so be prepared to either skip the novel completely or breeze over some of the scenes quickly.

I must also commend the research that Martin so clearly took a lot of time to do because the portrayal of life on the Mississippi pre-Civil War is detailed. It might actually be too detailed in a few places, but Martin so clearly loves the subject matter that the huge paragraphs of description can be forgiven (and again, skipped through if you want).

I'm not sure about the last couple of chapters of the book, and the opening part was a tad slow, which was why I didn't give a 5-star rating. But overall, I liked the book. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
I have never been a fan of vampire books, but every so often I still pick up one and enjoy the read. That was certainly the case with Martin's Fevre Dream, a book about which I have heard only praise. It's worthy of the buzz. Foremost, it's darn good historical fiction set right on the eve of the Civil War. It uses the stench, the language, the tension of that setting in a vivid, visceral way. Marsh is a flawed yet sympathetic man, a fellow who passionately loves the river and his boats. Every character is well done, and Martin displays his usual ruthlessness as the Fevre Dream makes its way through the Mississippi and its bayous. Martin's take on vampires uses the traditional mythology--no sparkles here--with several fresh twists. I found this to be a more cohesive and enjoyable book than any in the Song of Ice and Fire. ( )
  ladycato | Aug 1, 2014 |
I'm torn about this one. On the one hand, it's a great example of historical fiction concerning the steamboat trade on the lower Mississippi in the years before the Civil War. Very well done, that part. On the other hand, it's a vampire horror story, which is fine, but it completely remakes the standard vampire trope into something resembling a treatable disease for an alien race- which didn't work all that well. And it goes on and on and on, for fifty or so pages more than it needed to. So all-in-all the book receives five stars for the "historical fiction" but only three stars for the "horror story". ( )
  5hrdrive | Jul 23, 2014 |
A simple vampire tale, much in the style of Anne Rice. The river boar setting was well done, and reading this in the same year that I read the Riverworld books made for quite the surreal experience. Far better than Game of Thrones (of which I am not a huge fan) this novel partly redeems Martin in my eyes. ( )
  Hexum2600 | Feb 28, 2014 |

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flynn, DannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, JustinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Howard Waldrop, a helluva writer, a helluva friend, and a fevered dreamer if ever there was one.
Abner Marsh rapped the head of his hickory walking stick smartly on the hotel desk to get the clerk's attention.
So we'll go no more a-roving, So late into the night.

When struggling riverboat captain Abner Marsh receives an offer of partnership from a wealthy aristocrat, he suspects something’s amiss. But when he meets the hauntingly pale, steely-eyed Joshua York, he is certain. For York doesn’t care that the icy winter of 1857 has wiped out all but one of Marsh’s dilapidated fleet. Nor does he care that he won’t earn back his investment in a decade. York has his own reasons for wanting to traverse the powerful Mississippi. And they are to be none of Marsh’s concern—no matter how bizarre, arbitrary, or capricious his actions may prove.

Marsh meant to turn down York’s offer. It was too full of secrets that spelled danger. But the promise of both gold and a grand new boat that could make history crushed his resolve—coupled with the terrible force of York’s mesmerizing gaze. Not until the maiden voyage of his new sidewheeler Fevre Dream would Marsh realize he had joined a mission both more sinister, and perhaps more noble, than his most fantastic nightmare...and mankind’s most impossible dream.
Here is the spellbinding tale of a vampire’s quest to unite his race with humanity, of a garrulous riverman’s dream of immortality, and of the undying legends of the steamboat era and a majestic, ancient river.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:55 -0400)

During the icy winter of 1857, riverboat man Abner Marsh is made captain of his own grand Mississippi steamboat by Joshua York, a vampire intent upon saving his maligned race from extinction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,034,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible