Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

Fevre Dream (original 1982; edition 2012)

by George R.R. Martin

Member:arkhadius
Title:Fevre Dream
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2012), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages

Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin (1982)

English (52)  Finnish (1)  All languages (53)
Most unique vampire book I've read. Would recommend it to anyone. I take it back, if you're looking for a romance novel - this isn't it. But it's a great read! ( )
  douglasse2 | Jun 30, 2015 |
No sé si he leído el mismo libro que el resto de los lectores, porque me ha parecido horroroso. Lento, muy lento, predecible, con una trama que avanza a trompicones y que se repite cíclicamente, con personajes más planos que una hoja de papel, abusando del deux ex machina... Sin espoilear, el único momento que podía haber levantado la historia un poquito, ¡nos lo cuentan en off! (¿Imaginais que hubiera hecho lo mismo con la boda roja? ¡Sería un sacrilegio!)Cuánto ha aprendido Martin desde entonces... Y menos mal
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
I need to find an old copy of this in hardcover to put it on my shelf where I keep my favorite vampire novels. It's rare to find a good vampire novel (the best ones are short stories, and the novels tend to be cheesy), so this was a wonderful discovery.

It had a few errors. The link between werewolves and silver was not strong in 1857, and no one would have associated Vlad with vampires in 1857 either (Dracula wasn't written until 1897, and even then the association between Vlad III and Dracula wasn't strong among the general population until the early 1970s).

But the story itself was incredible. Well worth reading. ( )
1 vote VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Boring. Dragged horribly and with a weak ending that was predictable from the next-to-last chapter (prior to the Epilogue). Poor plotting. Looks like GRRM had a great idea of vampires in the bayou and steamboats, but then didn't quite think how to work it out.

Interesting prelude to his later fantasy works, and noticeable similarities (writing style, over-usage of food paragraphs, etc.).

Just a 'meh' work. I really should have given it 1 star (will give it 1.5 on LibraryThing), but figured I owe it a bit more since it took me so long to read - which was half my fault / half GRRM's fault though to be honest. Eh, is what it is. ( )
  BenKline | Nov 26, 2014 |
Interesting take on the vampire mythos. I'll not spoil it here, but I'm not sure I've heard it before. As always, Martin pulls no punches on who lives or dies, so do not get too attached to pretty much anyone. Of course, in a vampire novel, people should die. And Martin also pulls no punches in describing the gore, so be prepared to either skip the novel completely or breeze over some of the scenes quickly.

I must also commend the research that Martin so clearly took a lot of time to do because the portrayal of life on the Mississippi pre-Civil War is detailed. It might actually be too detailed in a few places, but Martin so clearly loves the subject matter that the huge paragraphs of description can be forgiven (and again, skipped through if you want).

I'm not sure about the last couple of chapters of the book, and the opening part was a tad slow, which was why I didn't give a 5-star rating. But overall, I liked the book. ( )
1 vote ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flynn, DannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, JustinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Howard Waldrop, a helluva writer, a helluva friend, and a fevered dreamer if ever there was one.
Abner Marsh rapped the head of his hickory walking stick smartly on the hotel desk to get the clerk's attention.
So we'll go no more a-roving, So late into the night.

When struggling riverboat captain Abner Marsh receives an offer of partnership from a wealthy aristocrat, he suspects something’s amiss. But when he meets the hauntingly pale, steely-eyed Joshua York, he is certain. For York doesn’t care that the icy winter of 1857 has wiped out all but one of Marsh’s dilapidated fleet. Nor does he care that he won’t earn back his investment in a decade. York has his own reasons for wanting to traverse the powerful Mississippi. And they are to be none of Marsh’s concern—no matter how bizarre, arbitrary, or capricious his actions may prove.

Marsh meant to turn down York’s offer. It was too full of secrets that spelled danger. But the promise of both gold and a grand new boat that could make history crushed his resolve—coupled with the terrible force of York’s mesmerizing gaze. Not until the maiden voyage of his new sidewheeler Fevre Dream would Marsh realize he had joined a mission both more sinister, and perhaps more noble, than his most fantastic nightmare...and mankind’s most impossible dream.
Here is the spellbinding tale of a vampire’s quest to unite his race with humanity, of a garrulous riverman’s dream of immortality, and of the undying legends of the steamboat era and a majestic, ancient river.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:19 -0400)

During the icy winter of 1857, riverboat man Abner Marsh is made captain of his own grand Mississippi steamboat by Joshua York, a vampire intent upon saving his maligned race from extinction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,951,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible