Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

Fevre Dream (original 1982; edition 2012)

by George R.R. Martin

Member:arkhadius
Title:Fevre Dream
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2012), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages

Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin (1982)

Recently added byJurgenJacobs, private library, gedece, YouKneeK, SnootyBaronet, SENSpence, ZoeSchoppa, mhofherr

English (53)  Finnish (1)  All languages (54)
At times, this book Fevre Dream became a “fevre read” – by which I mean that I had trouble putting it back down once I had picked it up. This is essentially a vampire story, but there’s much more going on here than just vampires sucking the blood out of humans. Not that there isn’t some of that, too. The book could be a bit gory at times, but I didn't feel like it was a scary book.

The story is set around the 1850’s and the majority of it is told from the third-person perspective of Abner Marsh, the owner of a steamboat company. His company has suffered some major setbacks due to various catastrophes, and his business is struggling. At the very beginning of this book, Abner meets Joshua York who makes him a business offer he can’t refuse. Abner and Joshua will become business partners, Joshua will provide the funds for Abner to build the steamboat of his dreams, and Abner will teach Joshua how to captain a steamboat. Furthermore, Abner must agree to tolerate Joshua’s odd habits without asking questions.

I don’t want to say much more about the story because it would spoil the fun of discovery for anybody who chooses to read it for themselves. The few details I’ve provided are accurate, but the story may not take the direction you would expect based on what I’ve said. The story ended up being a little deeper and more interesting than I had expected it to be when I first started it. We don’t get to know too many of the characters very intimately, but all of the characters felt real and I became very invested in a couple of them. I also liked some of the parallels that were drawn between the way whites treated blacks in this era and the way vampires treated humans.

I think my biggest complaint regarding the story would be the thirteen-year gap that took place around the 80% mark. We’re told the highlights of what happened during that gap, but I always feel a little bit cheated when a story is roaring along and then it suddenly skips ahead several years. It was during this gap that one of the characters became kind of a tragic figure in my eyes, and perhaps that was the point. I would have liked to have seen things turn out differently for him, but I still enjoyed the story and the epilogue made me cry.

Aside from the first book, I haven’t read Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” series yet -- I’m waiting for him to finish it first, since I prefer to read a series all at once. In the meantime, maybe I’ll have to seek out some of his other non-series work. ( )
  YouKneeK | Jul 28, 2015 |
Most unique vampire book I've read. Would recommend it to anyone. I take it back, if you're looking for a romance novel - this isn't it. But it's a great read! ( )
  douglasse2 | Jun 30, 2015 |
No sé si he leído el mismo libro que el resto de los lectores, porque me ha parecido horroroso. Lento, muy lento, predecible, con una trama que avanza a trompicones y que se repite cíclicamente, con personajes más planos que una hoja de papel, abusando del deux ex machina... Sin espoilear, el único momento que podía haber levantado la historia un poquito, ¡nos lo cuentan en off! (¿Imaginais que hubiera hecho lo mismo con la boda roja? ¡Sería un sacrilegio!)Cuánto ha aprendido Martin desde entonces... Y menos mal
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
I need to find an old copy of this in hardcover to put it on my shelf where I keep my favorite vampire novels. It's rare to find a good vampire novel (the best ones are short stories, and the novels tend to be cheesy), so this was a wonderful discovery.

It had a few errors. The link between werewolves and silver was not strong in 1857, and no one would have associated Vlad with vampires in 1857 either (Dracula wasn't written until 1897, and even then the association between Vlad III and Dracula wasn't strong among the general population until the early 1970s).

But the story itself was incredible. Well worth reading. ( )
1 vote VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Boring. Dragged horribly and with a weak ending that was predictable from the next-to-last chapter (prior to the Epilogue). Poor plotting. Looks like GRRM had a great idea of vampires in the bayou and steamboats, but then didn't quite think how to work it out.

Interesting prelude to his later fantasy works, and noticeable similarities (writing style, over-usage of food paragraphs, etc.).

Just a 'meh' work. I really should have given it 1 star (will give it 1.5 on LibraryThing), but figured I owe it a bit more since it took me so long to read - which was half my fault / half GRRM's fault though to be honest. Eh, is what it is. ( )
  BenKline | Nov 26, 2014 |

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flynn, DannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, JustinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Howard Waldrop, a helluva writer, a helluva friend, and a fevered dreamer if ever there was one.
Abner Marsh rapped the head of his hickory walking stick smartly on the hotel desk to get the clerk's attention.
So we'll go no more a-roving, So late into the night.

When struggling riverboat captain Abner Marsh receives an offer of partnership from a wealthy aristocrat, he suspects something’s amiss. But when he meets the hauntingly pale, steely-eyed Joshua York, he is certain. For York doesn’t care that the icy winter of 1857 has wiped out all but one of Marsh’s dilapidated fleet. Nor does he care that he won’t earn back his investment in a decade. York has his own reasons for wanting to traverse the powerful Mississippi. And they are to be none of Marsh’s concern—no matter how bizarre, arbitrary, or capricious his actions may prove.

Marsh meant to turn down York’s offer. It was too full of secrets that spelled danger. But the promise of both gold and a grand new boat that could make history crushed his resolve—coupled with the terrible force of York’s mesmerizing gaze. Not until the maiden voyage of his new sidewheeler Fevre Dream would Marsh realize he had joined a mission both more sinister, and perhaps more noble, than his most fantastic nightmare...and mankind’s most impossible dream.
Here is the spellbinding tale of a vampire’s quest to unite his race with humanity, of a garrulous riverman’s dream of immortality, and of the undying legends of the steamboat era and a majestic, ancient river.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:19 -0400)

During the icy winter of 1857, riverboat man Abner Marsh is made captain of his own grand Mississippi steamboat by Joshua York, a vampire intent upon saving his maligned race from extinction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,516,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible