Short Takes: Brief Encounters with…

Short Takes: Brief Encounters with Contemporary Nonfiction (edition 2005)

by Judith Kitchen (Editor)

Member:AbyssWriter
Title:Short Takes: Brief Encounters with Contemporary Nonfiction
Authors:Judith Kitchen
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2005), Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:nonfiction, journalism, literary journalism, essays, ENGL 672

Short Takes: Brief Encounters with Contemporary Nonfiction by Judith Kitchen (Editor)

Uneven but absorbing collection of essays. Standouts include Barbara Hurd's 'Moon Snail' which is well worth the price of admission, and made me vow to find more by her, right away. It put me in mind of Annie Dillard at her grittiest. Also noteworthy was Michael Perry's 'The Big Nap'- visionary, quiet, and revelatory. A collection worth picking up. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Kitchen, JudithEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Epstein, JosephContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Invigorating creative nonfiction—short, but never slight—gathered by the co-editor of In Short and In Brief.

In the years since the perennially popular In Short and In Brief were published, readers have come to delight in the deft focus of the succinct piece we now call The Short. Extending this trend, Short Takes presents over seventy-five writers whose range and style demonstrate the myriad ways we humans have of telling our truths. Themes develop and speak to or collide with one another: musings about parents, childhood, sports, weather, war, solitude, nature, loss—and, of course, love. The stellar roster of contributors includes well-known writers—Verlyn Klinkenborg, Jo Ann Beard, David Sedaris, Dorothy Allison, Salman Rushdie, and Terry Tempest Williams—along with Michael Perry, Mark Spragg, Jane Brox, and others whose literary stars are clearly rising. Each short—whether a few paragraphs or reaching 2,000 words, and reflecting almost every way nonfiction can be written—invites us to experience the power of the small to move, persuade, and change us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

"Short Takes presents seventy-six writers whose range and style demonstrate the myriad ways we humans have of telling our truths. Themes develop and collide with one another: musings about baseball and books, family and history, war and work, science and the seasons. Each short - whether a few paragraphs or reaching 2,000 words, and reflecting almost every way nonfiction can be written - invites us to experience the power of the small to move, persuade, and change us."--Jacket.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,843,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible