Toys by James Patterson

Toys (edition 2011)

by James Patterson (Author)

Animosity between the genetically engineered Elites and their human subjects is fierce, and many rebels fight back against Elite rule. Hays Baker is a high-ranking agent in the Elite forces and at the forefront of keeping the humans under control. However, Hays is unknowingly hiding a secret that will make him the greatest threat to the Elite regime, and their number one target.… (more)
Member:petrichor8
Title:Toys
Authors:James Patterson (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2011), Edition: 1st, 400 pages
Collections:B2R, Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:***
Tags:james patterson, future society, shelfari_import

Toys by James Patterson

I want to write an honest review of this book but having only listened to the audiobook and never having read another James Patterson novel before, I'm afraid my review would only highlight the amazing abilities of the talented Mr. Matthew Bomer. Matt Bomer, among other things, has an incredible voice and it feels like he could read just about any book and make it sound good. Even still, I think it was fun listening to this audiobook because the combination of the reader and randomly inserted over-dramatic music made the story come to life for me, and I highly doubt I would've envisioned it in quite the same way as I could've by simply reading the book. It was actually quite thrilling too whenever the pace quickened or a sudden suspenseful action scene took place. Again because of Mr. Bomer and that cinematic score in the background. The other aspect that I quite enjoyed was Matt Bomer's vocal range. Practically every character sounded uniquely distinct, which is a major plus as I've listened to audiobooks before with some pretty dull narrators and it was hard to distinguish one character from the rest. The best were the accents! A French character actually sounded French, for example. Now onto the story I suppose...a very quick and easy read. This is supposed to be a sci-fi type thriller for adults based on certain scenes but the writing makes it sound like an absolute cheese-fest you might pick up if you're bored and super desperate to make time fly. Having said that, I really liked it though I'm not sure if I found it more enjoyable as a result of the audiobook format that added more excitement than just reading it as a standalone novel. ( )
  ThePdawg | Jan 14, 2018 |
I've not a real clue why this book held my attention. Perhaps Hays Baker was charming enough to be a "real human hero". The year is 2061 and the humans have made enough of a mess of everything that one of their creations the Elites have taken over. Elites are the super humans that out preform and are "more" everything than the skunk humans. Their world becomes sci-fi'sh like the Jetsons with Robot Butlers and flying cars and "extreme adult toys" but the Elites are cold and heartless. Their intent is to finally rule and completely erase all signs of humanity. A few story twist kept this reader invested. ( )
  BONS | Apr 20, 2017 |
This book is different than normal James Patterson books in the fact that it's set in 2061. So he is tackling the future. But there are bad guys and good guys. This is a very fast paced story with lots of twists and turns. It's very entertaining and I had a hard time putting it down. That's probably why I read it in about a day. Very enjoyable and I would highly recommend picking this up for a good time. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Not a bad concept, another view on the post-apocalyptic world. It was just too short to have any of the pivotal details that would have made it good. Everything felt rushed. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
It’s like reading one of my son‘s computer games. Avoid at all costs. ( )
  traceydunn | Nov 22, 2015 |

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
McMahon, Neilsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Kim - my partner in crimes in passion. - NM
I will not forget this moment for as long as I live, which, in truth, might not be that long anyway.

The heart-stopping new thriller, by the #1 bestselling author James Patterson introduces the world's greatest agent. Physcially and intellctually gifted, Hays Baker and his wife, Lizabeth, have stunning good looks and two beautiful children. They are the world's perfect family and their life is ideal--until they suddenly become someone's ideals targets. The top operatives for a secret government agency, Hays just won the fiercest battle of his career and is praised by the president as a national hero. Then an unbelievable shock turns his world upside down. Facing an existence he never dreamed possible, he is forced to leave his family and become a hunted figitive. It will take all of his training to uncover the truth, fight for his life...and save humankind from extinction...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,624,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible