The Mental Floss History of the United…

by Erik Sass (Author)

Series: Mental Floss

218784,810 (4)12
Smarter than a history teacher, funnier than the Founding Fathers, and more American than Alaska, an almost (but not entirely) comprehensive primer on American history (or at least, the good stuff). Chapters include interactive worksheets, and the book features a selection of "best of" lists, such as the 10 most notorious mobsters and 7 most corrupt presidents.… (more)
Member:Sadiemcf
Title:The Mental Floss History of the United States: The (Almost) Complete and (Entirely) Entertaining Story of America
Authors:Erik Sass (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages
Tags:B 2.2

The Mental Floss History of the United States: The (Almost) Complete and (Entirely) Entertaining Story of America by Erik Sass

This is a fun and entertaining book if you're looking for a brief history of the US. I found it indispensable while teaching for its humorous anecdotal stories of periods and personalities. History can be really dry, but this book will change your mind. Information includes pop culture references as well as more serious topics. ( )
  WritingMom | Jun 2, 2019 |
I learned a lot from this brief overview of United States History from 23,000 BCE through 2010. The book is broken up into ten chapters each covering a range of years. In each chapter the author gives an overview of the time frame, a time line of notable events, a section on "lies your teacher told you," and a list of interesting statistics. The book is entertaining and humorous at times and it not only discussed the usual historical events, but it also covered pop culture. For example there were sections on the founding of Coca Cola and McDonalds, the development of American football, and the development and distribution of frozen food. Although the book is a quick summary of U. S. history, I learned something new in each chapter. I would recommend this book to anyone that feels like they need a refresher in U. S. history, it was interesting, entertaining, and informative. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
This was an entertaining, easy to read book about the history of the United States. It had all the basics that we learn in school, but added many facts in a fun way that the average person would not know. Not only was it a good review of our history but a way to learn a whole lot more! ( )
  dkfgroup | Nov 1, 2014 |
An interesting and fun overview of the history of our country. Mental floss approach brings up many interesting topics throughout the history it portrays as lies or maybe just misleading myths about what actually happened. It leaves you thinking, aha I knew that, or I thought so too. Both entertaining and thought provoking. ( )
  knightlight777 | Apr 8, 2014 |
Full of interesting facts and very readable. My quibble? Doesn't give sources, which I would have liked. ( )
  scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |

Erik Sassprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hattikudur, MangeshAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pearson, WillAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Americans are patriotic people: a 2008 poll showed 72 percent believe the USA is "the best nation in the world."

Do you still think of Honest Abe as a heroic defender of liberty? That the late '60s were a groovy time of peace and love? That the United States has always been dependent on foreign oil? Well, you shouldn't! In this delightful tour through America's knotty past, mental_floss offers something new: a refreshingly honest histrory that's guaranteed to set things straight.
Peppered with trivia, charts, timelines, and, yes, plenty of history, 'The mental_floss History of the United States' includes the juiciest tales of political intrigue, serial killers, mobsters, Puritans, rum, witches, potato chips, and more. Here at last is the true American Dream: an insightful, accurate, and wholly entertaining history that's 100 percent made in the U.S. of A.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Erik Sass's book The Mental Floss History of the United States was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,596,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible