HIGH EXPOSURE: An Enduring Passion for…

HIGH EXPOSURE: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places (edition 1999)

by David Breashears

Member:morrisab
Title:HIGH EXPOSURE: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places
Authors:David Breashears
Info:Simon & Schuster (1999), Hardcover, 320 pages

High Exposure: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places by David Breashears

Having read a fair number of reviews for High Exposure, most of which were quite favorable, I eagerly expected a different experience than the book delivered.

The overall flow of David Breashears’ personal biography was interesting and provided insight into behavioral aspects of a life that led to his being one of the top mountaineers in the world. But for me, the book lacked sufficient substance until towards the end; when he related the tragic experience and fatal events of the 1996 Everest IMAX filming expedition. This section was personal, griping, and stirred up emotions even though I had previously read Into Thin Air and other similar accounts.

Prior to that section the book seemed more like brief separated, but concurrent, snap shots in time, and in many cases the reader was left to fill in and imagine the details. Not to say there weren’t a few instances where one could picture the vertical world of precariously hanging onto a slab of rock straight up hundreds or thousands of feet from safety. However, for me they were too few.

Once having finished the book I was also led to wonder what has happened to this individual in the ensuing timeframe. I plan to Google the subject. Seems an interesting follow-up having read how single minded and focused he was on his own ambitions and agenda and of his disastrous marriage attempt. What has time and loss of youth changed or influenced?
  whwatson | Mar 7, 2014 |
While reading this book I came to respect David Breashears, but I just couldn't bring myself to like him. This autobiography recounts his troubled childhood, his romance with the mountains, his introduction to film-making, and some of the incredible events of his life. Somewhere along the line, he ends up portraying himself not as a mountaineering purist with a serious belief in safety, but rather as a condescending control freak. That's where he kind of lost me. I found the chapters regarding the '96 tragedy on Everest to be the most interesting, but I still feel that Jon Krakauer's narrative was more engaging. ( )
  FireandIce | Jun 6, 2011 |
David Breashears has made a name for himself as a methodical climber -- he isn't into dynamic leaps and jumps, but carefully plans each and every move as he scales mountain and rock. In a way, his autobiography "High Exposure: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places" is the same. It's almost plodding and Breashears thoroughly examines his troubled childhood and the reasons that he is driven again and again to the challenges presented by Everest. I've read a lot of climbing memoirs and this one didn't particularly thrill me-- it was a little too bogged down in detail and became a really slow read. The final chapters about the 1996 tragedy on Mt. Everest were better, but came too late for me to truly enjoy the book. I came away admiring Breashers for what he has overcome but with a sense that he is a very unlikeable person. Is it possible for an autobiography to be too honest? That may be the problem in this case. ( )
  amerynth | Mar 20, 2011 |
Stopped just before chapter 6. I liked this book and was interested in the story, but I was reading very slow and ran out of opportunities to renew at the library.

David Breashears is interesting and the climbing stories are great. I should probably come back to this one some day.
  tkraft | Jun 13, 2010 |
I read this because of my interest in Everest after reading The Lost Explorer and Ghosts of Everest. This is a broader book, in that it is about more than Everest, but it is a great read and a fascinating look into the mind of a climber. ( )
  Jen42 | Jun 6, 2010 |

David Breashearsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Long, JeffAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Breashers, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krakauer, JonForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A little learning is a dangerous thing;/Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:/There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain./And drinking largely sobers us again. - Alexander Pope

For my mother and for my peerless and indomitable companions on Mount Everest in 1996 Robert, Ed, Araceli, Jambling, Sumiyo, Jangbu, Paula, Liz, Audrey and Brad
As a mountain climber, I've always felt more driven to the top than driven from the bottom.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684865459, Paperback)

David Breashears has climbed Mt. Everest four times. For this, he is known as a world-class mountaineer. A lengthy career in documentary filmmaking--including the Imax film, Everest--has earned him wide acclaim and four Emmy awards. For this, he is known as one of the elite cinematographers in his field. But his new autobiography, High Exposure: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Other High Places, proves he is more than a climber and a filmmaker; he is also an able writer.

Breashears has no lack of good material. We follow him through the stunning backdrops of Yosemite, Europe, Nepal, and Tibet, brushing up against triumphs and tragedies along the way. And while the nuts and bolts of his adventures are entertainment enough, his knack for building suspense and employing understated drama makes his autobiography read like a novel: "The morning was sunny and calm, and Rob looked as though he'd lain down on his side and fallen asleep. Around him the undisturbed snow sparkled in the sun. I stared at his bare left hand ... I wondered what a mountaineer with Rob's experience was doing without a glove."

Breashears also likes to remind his audience of humble beginnings surmounted: his early climbing days when he was known as "the kid," and a winter he spent sleeping under a sheet of plywood during the Wyoming oil boom when he was called "the worm." But mostly he documents his filmmaking career and climbing passion, both of which he approaches with an obsessive fervor. Readers interested in either pursuit will find High Exposure a fascinating traverse across the spine of the world. --Ben Tiffany

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

Mountaineer and filmmaker David Breashears shares the story of his life, discussing his adventures climbing some of the world's greatest peaks, and explaining the factors that drive him to pursue such a dangerous profession.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,009,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible