The Wolves of Andover by Kathleen Kent

The Wolves of Andover (2010)

by Kathleen Kent

Recently added byrena75

Kent's prequel to The Heretic's Daughter takes the reader back to 23-year old Martha Carrier's life as an outspoken spinster in 17th century Massachusetts. A novel of love, survival, and revenge, Kent seamlessly weaves the love story of Martha and Thomas, the political intrigue following the beheading of King Charles I, and the struggle against the untamed wilderness and disease in colonial America. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Interesting setting, colonial America, and some history I didn't know (hanging head in shame) about Cromwell and England's grudges transported to America. I liked the descriptions of everyday life in rural America at the time, and knowing this character would go on to be featured in Kent's first book (The Heretic's Daughter) made it all the more poignant. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
Having a hard time with this one. Too much jumping around. ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |
Good historical fiction, wish there were more of books like this (or that I could find them!). I liked the mystery, history and romance. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
I thought the book was really interesting from a colonial America perspective. One thing I tend to forget is that Colonial America was still Britain. In the back of my mind, of course, I know this but it tends to fall by the wayside as I think of colonials. As an avid student of British history, I've read several books on Charles I and even though the Stuart era is where I begin to lose interest in the royal line, I'm fairly familiar with what happened. I've never considered how that affected those on colonial soil nor did I think about the fact that the rebels most likely did flee to American soil to escape their past. It was also enlightening to see how even then, America was drifting away from the mother country. Life was harsher and so different from Britain, they couldn't help but become a different people altogether. Although it wasn't a part of this book (it's a prequel to The Heretic's Daughter), it was also interesting to see how easily a woman could be perceived as a witch by being blamed for the misfortune of others. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |

Kathleen Kentprimary authorall editionscalculated
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The woman worked her way out of the crowd, grabbing Cromwell by the cloak, and pulled at it until her turned to face her.

In the harsh wilderness of colonial Massachusetts, nineteen-year-old Martha Allen arrives to work as a servant in her cousin's home. Stubborn and opinionated, Marth soon takes charge and matches wills with everyone around her, including Thomas Carrier, the hired worker known for both his immense strength and size, and his mysterious past. The two begin a cvourtship that suits their independent natures, with Thomas gradually revealing the story of his part in this Enlglish Civil War. But in the rugged world they inhabit, danger is always near, whether in the form of assassins sent from London to kill the suspected executioner of Charles I, or the wolves-in many guises-who hunt for blood. A powerful love story and a pulse-pounding tale of historical adventure and intrigue. (ARC)

After Thomas Carrier saves Martha Allen from a wolf attack, he discovers wild animals are not the only dangers lurking in the Massachusetts woods: assassins have arrived from London to capture Charles I's executioner, said to be living outside Boston under an assumed name. A prequel to "The Heretic's Daughter."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,692,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible