Death of a Chimney Sweep by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Chimney Sweep (original 2011; edition 2012)

by M. C. Beaton

Member:SharronA
Title:Death of a Chimney Sweep
Authors:M. C. Beaton
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mystery series

Death of a Chimney Sweep by M. C. Beaton (2011)

Recently added byIcarpenter, flu1918, M_Sims, tjsween, Dehinde, private library, amyem58, karenwalker1, JaanaG

Bad. Really, neither a well-written book or a well-crafted mystery and just not worth it. I lost count of the bodies, I think it was up to 9.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I enjoy these Hamish Macbeth mysteries. Wonderful escape, some laughs, fun characters, intriguing mystery. A nice cozy. ( )
  njcur | Mar 14, 2014 |
"In the south of Scotland, residents get their chimneys vacuumed-cleaned. But in the isolated villages in the very north of Scotland, the villagers rely on the services of the itinerant sweep, Pete Ray, and his old-fashioned brushes. Pete is always able to find work in the Scottish highlands ... until the day Police Constable Hamish Macbeth notices blood dripping on to the floor of a villager's fireplace and a dead body stuffed inside the chimney.

"The entire town of Lochdubh is certain Pete is the culprit, bu Hamish doesn't believe that the affable chimney sweep is capable of committing murder. And when Pete's body is found on the Scottish moors, the mystery deepens. Once again, it's up to Hamish to discover who's resp-onsible for the dirty deeds -- and he much do it soon, before the murderer makes a clean getaway ..."
~~ front flap

Another complicated plot, involving desperate criminals, their wives, and dangerous wildlife. Hamish comes out unscathed, of course, and manages to avoid having another inept policeman from Strathbane foisted on him. ( )
  Aspenhugger | Feb 24, 2014 |
Drim, a small village in Scotland, gets very few visitors. All of that changes, however, when Milly Davenport finds the body of her husband stuffed in their chimney. Constable Hamish Macbeth is on the case and he refuses to let it go even when his superiors want him to. As Macbeth quietly investigates, the bodies start piling up and Macbeth himself is in danger. Can he stop the killer before he too becomes a victim?

While I've enjoyed all of M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth books, I'm not quite sure how I feel about "Death of a Chimney Sweep". Sure, a lot of the elements I liked were in this book - the Scottish setting, Hamish himself (who isn't quite as lazy as he and the villagers think he is), his love for his animals, his fights with Blair, the various residents of Lochdubh (the Currie sisters actually shine for a brief moment). All of this is familiar and enjoyable. But what I didn't like about this book is the incredible amount of violence - especially for cozy mystery. While the violence isn't graphically described the body count is very high in this book. I actually lost count of how many deaths there were but it had to be close to a dozen. One death in particular, towards the end of the book, was completely over the top even for a book filled with bizarre deaths. As for the mystery itself, the Hamish Macbeth books are never about trying to figure out whodunit, instead the culprit is identified pretty early on and readers sit back and watch Hamish outwit a killer.

"Death of a Chimney Sweep" has some good moments but isn't one of M.C. Beaton's best books in the series. ( )
  drebbles | Apr 2, 2013 |
'Death of Chimney Sweep' by M.C. Beaton is a superb mystery. It is not too bloody, has well developed characters, surprises that I didn’t see coming and now I want to read more M.C. Beaton’s books.

Drim, Scotland is the setting; a place where nothing ever happens except when it does it is a doozy. This is my first time reading a M.C. Beaton and I was really pleased about the pace of the story and the unique characters in this small town. I really felt like I was right there in a small town in Scotland hearing about the weird chain of events! There were the gossipers, the different kinds of police, competent and incompetent, those who saw things as black and white and others who saw the gentle shades of gray. There were also the conmen, conwomen, and the people conned. Greed is the key to this book.

I don’t want to spoil this story for you, I just want to say that things seem simple at the beginning as time goes on they get more and more complicated. Making you laugh so hard that it brings tears to your eyes. There was one place in the book that I gasped at what one of characters did. In fact, I read it over three times! This book is not predictable. I think this book is a “dark cozy”. It is gruesome but the dark humor out shines the bad deaths that I thought it was grand!

I recommend this book to all who love dark humor and some of the cozy fans like myself. ( )
  Carolee888 | Mar 17, 2013 |
To Georgie Askew and Dave Tapping and to the staff of
the beautiful Cavendish Hotel on the Chatsworth estate
who sheltered us one whole winter's afternoon although
we were not guests. Many thanks.
The village of Drim in the county of Sutherland at the northwest of Scotland was rarely visited by outsiders.

In the south of Scotland, residents get their chimneys vacuum-cleaned. But in the isolated villages in the very north of Scotland, the villagers rely on the services of the itinerant sweep, Pete Ray, and his old-fashioned brushes. Pete is always able to find work in the Scottish highlands, until one day when Police Constable Hamish Macbeth notices blood dripping onto the floor of a villager's fireplace, and a dead body stuffed inside the chimney. The entire town of Lochdubh is certain Pete is the culprit, but Hamish doesn't believe that the affable chimney sweep is capable of committing murder. Then Pete's body is found on the Scottish moors, and the mystery deepens. Once again, it's up to Hamish to discover who's responsible for the dirty deed--and this time, the murderer may be closer than he realizes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:55 -0400)

In the isolated villages of northern Scotland, the residents rely on chimney sweep Pete Ray. After Police Constable Hamish Macbeth finds a dead body stuffed inside a chimney, the entire town of Lochdubh suspects Pete. Then Pete's body is found on the Scottish moors, and the mystery deepens.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible