A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read

A Field of Darkness (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Cornelia Read

Member:cetera_desunt
Title:A Field of Darkness
Authors:Cornelia Read
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2007), Upplaga: Reprint, Paperback, 320 sidor
Collections:Your library, Allt annat
Tags:mystery, cold case, syracuse, new york, fairy tales

A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read (2006)

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (RidgewayGirl)
    In the Woods by Tana French (jlparent)
    jlparent: Crime fiction
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (jlparent)
    jlparent: Twists and turns and family secrets, oh my.

English (20)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (21)
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
This one is a bit different from what I usually read. The main character is a pretty mixed up woman--from a very wealthy family, with drugged out hippie parents, and a huge store of angst. I really didn't like Madeline Dare, but I did admire her perseverance in trying to figure out who brutally murdered two young women 19 years in the past.

I usually figure out "whodunit" within the first third of the book. Ms. Read's plot was twisty enough that I kept rethinking my choice...always good in a mystery/thriller. At the end, everything tied together and the villain made sense.

I'll be reading more Cornelia Read books and hope for more likable characters in future titles. ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
It took me awhile to get into this, and it may have been a touch too long, but the suspense was really ratcheted up in the second half of the book, and the ending was something else. I guess I do wish there had been a little more information about why the killer did what he did...it was hinted at but not explained. I have already requested the second book... ( )
  susan259 | Jan 21, 2016 |
  susan259 | Jan 20, 2016 |
  susan259 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Every page is a pleasure in this mystery debut featuring barb-wielding, ex-debutante Madeline Dare. A newspaper reporter trapped among the white trash (or "garbage blanc") of Syracuse, New York, she becomes enmeshed in the 20-year-old unsolved murder of two young hippies. The case was dubbed "the Rose Girls," for the thorny crowns encircling the victims' heads. Madeline's preposterously preppy cousin, Lapthorne Townsend, is among the suspects; his army dog tags were found at the scene of the crime.... Bent on exonerating him, she sets out to retrace the Rose Girls' final hours, reportedly spent in the company of two soldiers at the New York State Fair. Read's plot crackles and pops, but her characters steal the show.
added by terran | editBooklist, Allison Block (Mar 15, 2006)

For Grace and Lila, who are both sweetness and light.
There are people who can be happy anywhere.

Madeline Dare would be the first to tell you her money is so old there's none left. A former socialite from an aristocratic family in decline, Maddie is a tough-talking, would-be journalist exiled to the rust belt of upstate New York. Her prospects for changing her dreary lifestyle seem dim--until a set of dog tags found at a decades-old murder site is linked to her family. Shocked into action, Maddie embarks on a search that takes her from the derelict smokestacks of Syracuse to the posh mansions of Long Island's Gold Coast. But instead of the warm refuge of home, this prodigal daughter soon uncovers dark, sinister secrets that will violently challenge everything she believes in and holds dear.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:34 -0400)

"Madeline Dare would be the first to tell you her money is so old there's none left. A former socialite from an aristocratic family in decline, Maddie is a tough-talking, would-be journalist exiled to the rust belt of upstate New York. Her prospects for changing her dreary lifestyle seem dim -- until a set of dog tags found at a decades-old murder site is linked to her family. Shocked into action, Maddie embarks on a search that takes her from the derelict smokestacks of Syracuse to the posh mansions of Long Island's Gold Coast. But instead of the warm refuge of home, this prodigal daughter soon uncovers dark, sinister secrets that will violently challenge everything she believes in and holds dear." -- back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,269,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible