The Ranger: A Highland Guard Novel by Monica…

The Ranger: A Highland Guard Novel (edition 2010)

by Monica McCarty

Member:ZippetyDoo
Title:The Ranger: A Highland Guard Novel
Authors:Monica McCarty
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

The Ranger by Monica McCarty

I'm reading this book for the third/ fourth time and I'm loving it like if it was the first time.

There is something in the way that Monica McCarty writes that keeps me spellbound. I love how she tangles the real history with the fiction and comes with an incredible and believable novel.
The heroes are well constructed, the environment is based in real facts and places and the romance is credible and of course, the hot scenes are a plus as well as the cover.

So far this is, for me, the book with more deepness. Arthur Campbell and Anna MacDougall, the heroes, have a sense of deepness and intelligence that is not so present in the others characters. They face some serious challenges, angst and sorrow and both must do what they need to do in order to keep alive what they believe.
This is one of my favorites in the series. ( )
  Lost_Lenore | Dec 2, 2012 |
AUTHOR - love Monica's historical style of writing.

SYNOPSIS
Set in a time when some clans supported invading England and other clans fought for Scotland rule under "Bruce". A man supporting one side but falls in love with a woman from an opposing clan.

FAVORITE PART: Arthur interferes with Anna marrying Alan

LEAST FAVORITE PART: Difficult to understand the differences between the clans and which side supported England and which side fought for Scotland's independence. Difficult to understand which clan hated the other and why.

SEX SCALE: Of the following five options: 1) NOT very descriptive and requires imagination' 2) WILL make you wiggle a little) 3) WISH it was me; 4) OH boy, do not have to use my imagination at all; 5) EROTICA and well over the top
******WILL make you wiggle a little (and when they finally got around to it) WISH it was me******

YOU WILL LIKE THIS BOOK IF YOU LIKE: Scotland history. How vicious clans can be when they are divided over who will rule over them. Something along the lines of "Special Forces" with a love relationship that confuses sides and allegiance.

FOUR STARS - I enjoyed her writing because at the end, she explained the historical value. I found her writing to be a bit confusing however, it is not the author's fault that I read the book out of order. I look forward to correcting that problem (see series list below)

MacLeods of Skye
1. Highlander Untamed (2007)
2. Highlander Unmasked (2007)
3. Highlander Unchained (2007)

Campbell Trilogy
1. Highland Warrior (2009)
2. Highland Outlaw (2009)
3. Highland Scoundrel (2009)

Highland Guard

McNab, RobertReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue
St. John's Church, Ayr, Scotland
April 20, 1307

Arthur Campbell wasn't there -- or at least he wasn't supposed to be.

"Embedded deep behind enemy lines, Arthur 'Ranger' Campbell is prized for his razor-sharp senses and his ability to blend into the shadows. But when Arthur infiltrates the clan of the chieftain who murdered his father, his heart is locked on revenge. Inside he faces unexpected resistance from the sweetest of obstacles--a honey-haired siren who is his enemy's daughter. Intrigued by this ruggedly handsome newcomer to her father's forces, the vivacious and enchanting Anna MacDougall is a woman whose skill at uncovering deception rivals Arthur's own. Though yearning for a quiet life with a good man to love, Anna is drawn to this mysterious knight whose eyes devour her but whose words push her away. As danger, treachery, and the threat of looming war draw them closer into each other's arms, a warrior made of steel must make a choice from the heart: love or revenge."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible