The Turquoise Ledge: A Memoir by Leslie…

The Turquoise Ledge: A Memoir

by Leslie Marmon Silko

561210,933 (4)None

I really really really love this book.
Through this book I've been given a new way to percieve snakes, instead of purely seeing them as venomous and frightening, Leslie describes the snakes that live around her house as individuals, and respects them as such.
I'm also enjoying her descriptions of landscape and clouds, the weather having it's own aliveness. Is it pantheism?
I'm really getting a strong feeling of her connection to her landscape and the other animals inhabiting it, which I'm missing in my life.
I'm getting a lot out of reading these memoirs, and I think I'll probably keep reading it continuously when I've finished it. ( )
  mounen | Jan 8, 2013 |
It reads like reflections written on legal tablets that have been heavily refined, edited. The dust jacket calls it “inventive structure.” I call it confusing.
added by WeeklyAlibi | editWeekly Alibi, John Bear (Dec 9, 2010)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002211X, Hardcover)

A highly original and poetic self-portrait from one of America's most acclaimed writers.

Leslie Marmon Silko's new book, her first in ten years, combines memoir with family history and reflections on the creatures and beings that command her attention and inform her vision of the world, taking readers along on her daily walks through the arroyos and ledges of the Sonoran desert in Arizona. Silko weaves tales from her family's past into her observations, using the turquoise stones she finds on the walks to unite the strands of her stories, while the beauty and symbolism of the landscape around her, and of the snakes, birds, dogs, and other animals that share her life and form part of her family, figure prominently in her memories. Strongly influenced by Native American storytelling traditions, The Turquoise Ledge becomes a moving and deeply personal contemplation of the enormous spiritual power of the natural world-of what these creatures and landscapes can communicate to us, and how they are all linked.

The book is Silko's first extended work of nonfiction, and its ambitious scope, clear prose, and inventive structure are captivating. The Turquoise Ledge will delight loyal fans and new readers alike, and it marks the return of the unique voice and vision of a gifted storyteller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:50 -0400)

Silko takes readers along on her daily walks through the arroyos and ledges of the Sonoran Desert in Arizona, weaving tales from both sides of her family's past into her observations, and using the turquoise stones that she finds on her walks to unite the strands of her stories.… (more)

26 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,968,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible