War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

War and Peace (original 1868; edition 1949)

by Leo Tolstoy

18,84830188 (4.26)26 / 2165
Member:InigoMontoya
Title:War and Peace
Authors:Leo Tolstoy
Info:International Collector's Library 1949 Hardcover, 741p.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Main, Fiction

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (1868)

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (chrisharpe)
    Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman (chrisharpe, longway)
    Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    History by Elsa Morante (roby72)
    The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy (BINDINGSTHATLAST)
    La Lumière des justes by Henri Troyat (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Well, Henri Troyat is no Tolstoy of course, and he did not pretend he was : he described himself as a mere "storyteller". Yet some of his fiction is real good, and this "cycle" is certainly his best. And of course, Russian-born Lev Aslanovich Tarasov had in mind the never-written sequel to "War and Peace" about the Decembrist uprising, which Tolstoy initiates in the final chapters of "War and Peace" with his hints at Pierre's active participation in a "society". Would Natasha, already a mother of four in 1820, have left her children behind to follow Pierre in Siberia, as other convicts' wives did?… (more)
    August 1914 by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (ukh)
    The Years by Virginia Woolf (roby72)
    Los mas bellos cuentos rusos. Prologo con resena critica de la obra, vida y obra del autor, y marco historico. (Spanish Edition) by Alexander Pushkin (carajava)
    carajava: Es muy recomendable despues o, en todo caso antes de leer guerra y paz, puesto que, mejorarà tu forma de ver el mundo donde viviàn los rusos, comprenderlo y razonar sus precarias situaciònes.
    Traveller of the Century by Andrés Neuman (rrmmff2000)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (chrisharpe)

Topics messagesLast message
75 Books Challenge for 2017 : Group read: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy 33 unread / 33Storeetllr, February 9
2016 Category Challenge : Group Read: War and Peace 189 unread / 189mathgirl40, April 2016
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Intro thread (no spoilers) 42 unread / 42jnwelch, December 2015
Fans of Russian authors : New edition of War and Peace? 3 unread / 3DanMat, July 2012
History at 30,000 feet: The Big Picture : WWII, from the inside 10 unread / 10cbellia, February 2012
Fans of Russian authors : Who Translated the 1911 Everyman's Library War and Peace? 6 unread / 6DanMat, September 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 3, Part III 10 unread / 10Rebeki, July 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 3, Part II 10 unread / 10Rebeki, July 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 2, Part V 12 unread / 12Rebeki, July 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 2, Part IV 7 unread / 7Rebeki, July 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Epilogue II 9 unread / 9cushlareads, June 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 1, Part 3 spoiler thread 13 unread / 13Rebeki, June 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Epilogue I 8 unread / 8JanetinLondon, June 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 4, Part IV 7 unread / 7JanetinLondon, June 2011
Book talk : War And Peace 8 unread / 8Sandydog1, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 1, Part 2 spoiler thread 13 unread / 13Deern, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - "Wrap Up" (spoiler) Thread 6 unread / 6JanetinLondon, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 4, Part III 3 unread / 3JanetinLondon, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 4, Part II 6 unread / 6JanetinLondon, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 1, Part 1 spoiler thread 16 unread / 16JanetinLondon, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 4, Part I 7 unread / 7JanetinLondon, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 3, Part I 8 unread / 8cushlareads, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 2, Part III 5 unread / 5Deern, March 2011
Fans of Russian authors : War and Peace 4 unread / 4erinn, April 2009
Fans of Russian authors : Tolstoy's War and Peace: more on the Volokhonsky/Pevear translation 1 unread / 1chrisharpe, May 2008
Fans of Russian authors : Tolstoy's War and Peace: comments on the Volokhonsky,/Pevear translation by Simon Schama, BBC R3 1 unread / 1chrisharpe, November 2007
Took 0.0252 seconds

English (280)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Hebrew (2)  German (1)  All (302)
(1) I kept telling myself I would never read this book because of its daunting size and because I would never have the time. I also wanted to take a look at the most recent BBC adaptation of this book, but hate watching something I haven't read the book of. And I realized that now, in this break before library school begins, I've got the time, and so I finished off all the books that I had on the go and was prepared to devote all of April to it. It only took half the expected time.

(2) This book is so good, and this review is going to be long because there's way too much to talk about with it. This book is so good. Wonderfully real characters, you're reading less of a story, more of a life, several lives. Beautiful prose, beautiful construction, and it actually clips along at a good speed because the chapters within each part within each volume are fairly brief, and because you're always so curious as to what is going to happen next. Curious in part because things keep getting messed up and going in not the way stories are supposed to go. Pierre is not supposed to be with Helene. Anyone who reads books knows that this can't be. But how is he going to get out of the marriage? Will it be his doing? Will it be hers? Will there be a taint of divorce, or something that might prevent him from marrying a respectable girl? We need to know, and we know it will happen, but there's so much ahead that it takes a realistic amount of time for those obstructions to become free.

(3) Prince Andrei. Oh man, he was my favourite character, especially when he was at his most stupid and selfish, because it was so honest. His original desire for glory, to be cured of boredom; realising he had it all the wrong way around; realising he only cares about his immediate circle, but cares about them deeply; realising alternately that there might be a god or might not be; saying stupid stuff about how peasants need to work in this kind of essentialist and classist tone, but at the same time being the talk of society for freeing his serfs way ahead of anyone else. All these contradictory elements, all these developments, growths that sometimes are actually retreats, and I know that he's far from the best person and that's what I love about him. I was so upset when his death was announced, almost off-hand, in a report to Pierre. I was thrilled when we found out he was still holding on to life--even though he still died--because he couldn't go to the grave in that manic mode full of love that he'd been caught up in on the doctor's table. It was a beautiful hysteria, don't get me wrong, but a) Prince Andrei needed time to process, evaluate, come to terms with his inevitable death, and b) I needed time to process, evaluate, and come to terms with his inevitable death.

(4) The Rostovs! I love them. They've got a whole pack of children and more joy than sense and I could see my family in that, in the joy that they all have in each other. All of them felt precious to me (perhaps minus poor Vera? who we never get to know), and I was gutted but not surprised at Petya's death. He was the baby of the family, and he was too sweet and had too much to prove. Obviously he was going to die. We knew it when Countess Rostov got scared about both her sons going to war, we knew one of them had to die, really. And then here comes Petya, disobeying orders to stay with Denisov's regiment, talking about sweet raisins, sharing everything, wanting to be a man, having his sword sharpened for the first time, wanting to save and befriend the French boy prisoner, and we know. We all know what's going to happen to him. But still, Petya. And Denisov just sobbing about it. Ah. My heart.

(5) This is such a large sprawling book, it's hard to tell from the start what it will contain, or even who it will be about. Prince Vassily, the first person we meet, doesn't move the plot much after Helene marries Pierre and we can almost forget about him. I thought Boris was going to figure way more in the later parts, perhaps even that he would be a match for Princess Marya, but he also drops out to a large extent. The dark horse in this business for me was Denisov, who I wouldn't say I ever expected to hear much more from, but who I constantly enjoyed every time he figured in the narrative again.

(6) I had to defend my choice to read this book a few times. It is daunting, it might seem pretentious, it might seem like people only read it in order to have read it and to claim their place as the Alpha Reader. And I might be a little guilty of the last, but really, this book has the war and peace and love and death you might expect, but it also has duels, MASONIC RITUALS, NAPOLEON, wolf hunts, people who are reported dead and SUDDENLY COME BACK, not to mention bears (and the policemen tied to them). I felt so invested in all the characters and their stories, honestly I didn't want this book to end. It reminded me of [b:Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell|14201|Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell|Susanna Clarke|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1357027589s/14201.jpg|3921305] in that it's quite a long read, and yet I was left feeling bereft that it was over and that I had to say goodbye to it all.

(7) This book (in another edition) sat on one of our living-room bookshelves throughout my life. My dad really likes Russian novels and this one had pride of place among them, though it may just have seemed that way since it was so massive. I just always remember it. A spine that had faded pink, and this title, "WAR AND PEACE", that seemed to contain just everything. I would read over all the titles on those shelves, but came back to that one all the time, because it seemed so clear and yet also such an enigma. I later understood its place and the general opinion of it (confirming my inferences of its importance). Then my older sister read it one summer when she had that camp job where she got to read all the time and got paid good money in cash. (Good job, that one.) My dad has read it three times. It's his favourite book. To me there was a sense that this is a family book, and I feel closer with my dad after having read it, reading his copy of it.

(8) What a disappointing final note for the characters (though weirdly, not the fates, which seem from a distant glance to be everything you want) of Nikolai and Natasha! Nikolai prone to fits of anger, disdainful towards his little Nikolenka, and short and snippy with Marya who doesn't deserve that. He's better than her father Nikolai, but he just seems like an uncharacteristic arse. But he's not the only one uncharacteristic. Natasha, we think she must be happy, but she doesn't sing any more and her life seems to me so dismal now. These two scintillating children have lost all their shine. I suppose I didn't come to this book to have every story wrapped up in a pretty little bow but it seemed out of character, the way their personalities were described in the final episode. All you can hope is that in their lives after things continue to evolve and change and restore to a better state. While I'm in the epilogue, I won't deny my eyes pricked when Marya calls her son by "Andryusha." I mean, of course the kid would be named after Andrei! What could be more expected! And yet, the feelings. The feelings in this book. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Written over a hundred years ago. it remains an absolute classic story so well-written. the characters, so individual and so well defined it was a pleasure taking the trip through all their happiness, pain and loss. It was an emotional Journey. I have to say I laughed, I cried and with the battle scenes( although not exactly my cup of tea) had me fearing for their safety. War and Peace has definitely proven that the test of time has not diminished the greatness of this novel. It is definitely long but the journey was well worth it! ( )
  booklovers2 | Mar 29, 2017 |
Woohoo! I finished! It was an interesting and enjoyable story, and much easier to read than I expected. But it was reeeally long! It will probably be awhile before I read another Russian novel, but I wouldn't say 'no' to it :) ( )
  TerriS | Mar 28, 2017 |
"The subject of history is the life of peoples and of mankind. To grasp directly and embrace in words - to describe - the life not only of mankind, but of one people, appears impossible." (pg. 1,179).

When I first started thinking seriously about reading War and Peace, I was more than a bit sceptical about some of the reviews I encountered, which suggested that the book covered 'everything' and 'all of human life'. Whilst this is, of course, hyperbole, I was surprised at just how much Leo Tolstoy was able to cover: not just touch upon, you understand, but genuinely thoughtful reflections. It truly is one of those books that has to be read to be properly appreciated.

First, a note on the one thing everyone knows about War and Peace: its length. My Vintage Classics edition was 1,273 pages long, and there are some editions which are even longer. This is understandably off-putting for many potential readers but, as I hope to demonstrate in this review, it is certainly worth it. Any effort put in is rewarded tenfold. It's also not that long if you really think about it, at least not if you're a regular reader. You can read four normal books, each about 300 pages long, in the space of a couple of weeks, or you can read one book: War and Peace, one of the defining works of world literature. At least that's how I thought about it when I resolved to crack it open. And then you can brag about how you've read War and Peace because, regardless of the sort of people you socialise with, they probably haven't made the same resolution. Another benefit is that now I am less likely to be daunted by other great works; I have the notion that if I can read through War and Peace, and truly engage with and understand it, I can read anything. That may not be true, but it does give you confidence and a genuine sense of achievement when you (eventually) reach the end.

I should perhaps also note at this point that I read the English translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky (known as the P&V translation). I found it agreeable and sympathetic to the reader. It did what a great translation should do: it didn't feel like a translation. I didn't feel like I was reading a book written in 19th-century Russian and French; it just felt like I was reading a great novel. I can't comment on some of the other translations, but I would have no reservations about recommending the P&V edition.

Set during the Napoleonic Wars (and primarily concerned with the French invasion of Russia in 1812), War and Peace uses these grand events as a backdrop for in-depth reflections on war, peace (obviously), love, life, death, nature, happiness, family, friendships, society, leadership, history, politics, governance, law, freedom, education, religion, and so on. Tolstoy has some fascinating and eloquent things to say on these topics and more, even if you don't always agree with it. At this point you might be thinking that you can just skip over the philosophising guff, but it is essential to the story. If you can't engage intellectually with Tolstoy's ideas, you won't be able to engage with any of the book. You cannot really say to yourself that you will just read the literary parts, because the two are so intertwined and complementary that you cannot, in discarding the philosophy, be able to truly say that you have read (and, more importantly, understood) War and Peace.

Tolstoy's most persistent theme running throughout the book - and one which intensifies towards the end - is one in which he disputes the theory that individuals shape history (the 'great man' theory) and instead suggests that a plethora of unknown (and often unknowable) causes direct the course of life (sort of like the modern-day theory of the butterfly effect). Insofar as one can sum up such a lengthy and wealthy novel in one passage, I would suggest the following from page 1,137:

"As the sun and every atom of the ether is a sphere complete in itself and at the same time only an atom of a whole that is inaccessible to man in its enormity - so, too, every person bears his own purposes within himself and yet bears them in order to serve general purposes that are inaccessible to man."

If you understand that passage, you can begin to understand the complexity and sheer scale of Tolstoy's book. Tolstoy himself said that War and Peace is not a novel as such, nor a historical chronicle, incorporating as it does such lengthy passages of philosophy as sampled above. This is why the book is so long; the author must account for even just a small segment of all these conflicting interests which influence the 'common action'. His characters must embody and experience enough of these influences to make the ebb and flow of life's direction clear to the reader, without focusing solely on major personalities, which would buy into the theory that individuals shape history, which Tolstoy finds erroneous. If all of this seems complicated, that is because it is. Tolstoy is attempting to provide an account of life. Not just a life, or the lives of some characters, but a thorough and comprehensive accounting of all of life as we know it. When you consider that, and consider the fact that he actually manages to pull it off, you can begin to understand why War and Peace is considered such an outstanding artistic achievement.

Given this achievement, it seems churlish to criticise the structure of the book, seeing as how Tolstoy has managed to ensnare the very essence of life within these pages. But the book leaps from its literary endeavours (with, at its heart, the story of Pierre, Natasha and Prince Andrei) to lengthy philosophical treatises and occasional forays into providing a historical appraisal of the Napoleonic Wars. It's all very good, if perhaps a little jarring, and certainly very challenging. You do need to dissemble everything you know about literature, every habit and preconception you have in your regular reading, in order to engage with War and Peace. Reconfiguring your entire mindset and outlook in order to engage with a book is a tall order, and it says a lot about just how good War and Peace is that, having done so myself, I would recommend anyone else to do the same.

The book does have flaws, but its flaws are minor and not concerned with the essence of the book itself. Aside from the sudden leaps between fiction, philosophy and history, I did find it hard to keep track of everything that was happening in the plot. There's a fair bit of superficial detail, particularly when you're reading about the dull dinner parties which the upper-class Russians are repeatedly hosting - "good-natured and bustling banality", as Prince Andrei puts it - and consequently it's hard to build up a head of steam when you first open the book. Tolstoy also has a strange (or normal, I suppose, if you're Russian) habit of referring to the same character by a number of monikers (surnames, first names, pet names, family names and titles are all used) often within the same paragraph, which can be confusing. Consider, as examples, the three main characters. Prince Andrei is alternately referred to as André, the prince, Andryusha, and Bolkonsky, amongst others. Pierre is referred to as the count, Pyotr or Count Bezukhov. Natasha is also known as Natalya, Natalie or Countess Rostov (which is doubly confusing when the paragraph also includes her mother, who is also a countess). This is not only a problem I have with War and Peace; it seems to me that it is one of the defining criteria that classic literature must have needless stylistic affectations. But these affectations only add another layer of difficulty to a book which is already a sizeable challenge.

There are also pages of French dialogue (at a rough - and probably inaccurate - guess, I'd say about 20% of the entire book is in French) which means the reader finds themselves in the peculiar position of eschewing the main body of the text and just reading translated footnotes. Tolstoy also uses the words 'us' and 'we' when referring to the Russians (e.g. 'the French invaded us' and 'we fought back') which struck me as rather too personable and unprofessional, especially given the epic nature of the work. Similarly unprofessional is the regular appearance of exclamation marks, which seems awkward when rendered in the English language. Because it is not just a work of fiction but also a work of history and of philosophy, we also get footnotes and an extensive collection of endnotes (although it should be noted that the endnotes are the contribution of the editors of my Vintage Classics edition, not Tolstoy himself). We also get maps of key battlefields, lengthy quotations of passages from other history books and sources - it's almost like a bona fide history book at times - and even mathematical equations. You're getting variety (and value for money), that's for sure, but it is quite daunting. It's the only piece of fiction I've read that I can accurately describe as 'encyclopaedic'.

It should be noted though that, alongside the philosophy and the science and the maths and the history, there is also a really good piece of literature. The three most identifiable characters - Pierre, Natasha and Prince Andrei - are all interesting and you really care about what happens to them. It's not the most gripping story you've ever read, but I didn't get bored of them (and at over 1,200 pages, that's quite impressive). Tolstoy himself admitted, in a March 1868 article included in my Vintage edition as an Appendix, that the activity of his characters were "interesting to me only as an illustration of that law of predetermination which, in my conviction, governs history." (pg. 1,224). Nevertheless, he balances the literature with his philosophical message well; his characters are the vehicle for it. By the end of the book, all the characters - particularly that trinity of Pierre, Natasha and Prince Andrei - are living, breathing examples of Tolstoy's various ideas. One of the key Tolstoyan principles is of learning to love everything (expanding on the Christian precept of loving one's neighbour and one's enemies), even to love death, and when by the end of the novel you have seen the characters embrace this concept, whether knowingly or unknowingly; well, it is a beautiful thing. There's also a neat little suggestion at the end that the young children - offspring of the main characters we have followed throughout the book - haven't yet learned these lessons of life. "In the last analysis," Tolstoy tells us, "we arrive at an eternal circle." (pg. 1,200). Life, history, experience: it is cyclical, and what is learned by one generation must be relearned by the next. Life. That's what War and Peace is about. It is a great, perhaps peerless, feat of writing, and fully deserving of the daunting feat of reading and perseverance it requires from its audience. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Mar 18, 2017 |
I finally read this in the space of 26 days after it had been sitting on my bookshelf for a decade.

For the most part, War and Peace is simply brilliant. The main characters are wonderfully drawn, and I loved getting inside their heads and rooting for them all the way through. I also felt that I got a good sense of what it was like to be in (or on the edges of) the upper echelons of Russian society in the early 19th century through the descriptions of various social scenes and the viewpoints of minor characters. I also enjoyed the war scenes involving the main characters.

However, I didn't quite get on with some of the other war parts and the various passages ruminating on history in general, especially towards the end. I was also a little let down by some of the main characters' fates as described in the first epilogue (mainly the way in which the female characters are depicted), but I recognise that this is partly due to the era in which the novel is set/was written.

Despite that, I'm really glad I finally read War and Peace, and will be looking up some of Tolstoy's other works in the future. ( )
1 vote mooingzelda | Jan 23, 2017 |
I had it on my desk for about a year, and now I've given up and put it back on the shelf.
added by Sylak | editStylist [Issue 338], Paula Hawkins (Oct 12, 2016)

[Note: This review refers mainly to the Pevear-Volokhonsky translation in comparison to other translations.]

The Russian language is the real hero of Tolstoy’s masterpiece; it is his voice of truth. The English-speaking world is indebted to these two magnificent translators, Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, for revealing more of its hidden riches than any who have tried to translate the book before.

Tolstoy, Leoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunnigan, AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eberle, TheodorIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmonds, RosemaryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eichenberg, FritzIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Faber zu Faur, Christian Wilhelm vonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fadiman, CliftonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, H.R. deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vries, René deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitman, J. FranklinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zveteremich, PietroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Well, Prince, Genoa and Lucca are now no more than private estates of the Bonaparte family."
Well, Prince, so Genoa and Lucca are now just family estates of the Buonapartes. (Maude/Maude)
War is not a polite recreation but the vilest thing in life, and we ought to understand that and not play at war.
This is the complete work "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy. Do not combine with single volumes of the work, or with abridgments of the work.

From Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, the best-selling, award-winning translators of Anna Karenina and The Brothers Karamazov, comes a brilliant, engaging, and eminently readable translation of Leo Tolstoy’s master epic.

War and Peace centers broadly on Napoleon’s invasion of Russia in 1812 and follows three of the best-known characters in literature: Pierre Bezukhov, the illegitimate son of a count who is fighting for his inheritance and yearning for spiritual fulfillment; Prince Andrei Bolkonsky, who leaves behind his family to fight in the war against Napoleon; and Natasha Rostov, the beautiful young daughter of a nobleman, who intrigues both men. As Napoleon’s army invades, Tolstoy vividly follows characters from diverse backgrounds—peasants and nobility, civilians and soldiers—as they struggle with the problems unique to their era, their history, and their culture. And as the novel progresses, these characters transcend their specificity, becoming some of the most moving—and human—figures in world literature.

Pevear and Volokhonsky have brought us this classic novel in a translation remarkable for its fidelity to Tolstoy’s style and cadence and for its energetic, accessible prose. With stunning grace and precision, this new version of War and Peace is set to become the definitive English edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:19 -0400)

From Pevear and Volokhonsky, the bestselling, award-winning translators of "Anna Karenina" and "The Brothers Karamazov," comes a brilliant, engaging, and eminently readable translation of Tolstoy's master epic.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141025115, 0140447938, 0451532112

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,444,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible