dismiss

By Leo Tolstoy War and Peace (Barnes & Noble…

By Leo Tolstoy War and Peace (Barnes & Noble Classics) (original 1868; edition 1905)

22,750361106 (4.26)27 / 2345
Often called the greatest novel ever written, War and Peace is at once an epic of the Napoleonic Wars, a philosophical study, and a celebration of the Russian spirit. Tolstoy's genius is seen clearly in the multitude of characters in this massive chronicle-all of them fully realized and equally memorable. Out of this complex narrative emerges a profound examination of the individual's place in the historical process, one that makes it clear why Thomas Mann praised Tolstoy for his Homeric powers and placed War and Peace in the same category as the Iliad "To read him . . . is to find one's way home . . . to everything within us that is fundamental and sane."… (more)
Member:GRLagow
Title:By Leo Tolstoy War and Peace (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Authors:
Info:Barnes & Noble Books (1905)

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (1868)

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (chrisharpe)
    Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman (chrisharpe, longway)
    Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    History by Elsa Morante (roby72)
    August 1914 by Alexander Solschenizyn (ukh)
    The Kreutzer Sonata by Leo Tolstoy (BINDINGSTHATLAST)
    They Were Counted by Miklós Bánffy (WirSindAlive)
    WirSindAlive: Both works share the thrilling stories in a the historical setting of the hight aristocracy, mixed with some political backgroungd.
    The Dynasts by Thomas Hardy (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: Hardy's "Immanent Will" has much in common with Tolstoy's historical determinism. Personally, I'm in that probably quite small minority that prefers The Dynasts over Tolstoy's novel – partly because I find in Hardy's "The Road to Waterloo" scene (3.VI.vii) one of the greatest of antiwar poems.… (more)
    La Lumière des justes by Henri Troyat (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Well, Henri Troyat is no Tolstoy of course, and he did not pretend he was : he described himself as a mere "storyteller". Yet some of his fiction is real good, and this "cycle" is certainly his best. And of course, Russian-born Lev Aslanovich Tarasov had in mind the never-written sequel to "War and Peace" about the Decembrist uprising, which Tolstoy initiates in the final chapters of "War and Peace" with his hints at Pierre's active participation in a "society". Would Natasha, already a mother of four in 1820, have left her children behind to follow Pierre in Siberia, as other convicts' wives did?… (more)
    The Years by Virginia Woolf (roby72)
    Los mas bellos cuentos rusos. Prologo con resena critica de la obra, vida y obra del autor, y marco historico. (Spanish Edition) by Alexander Pushkin (carajava)
    carajava: Es muy recomendable despues o, en todo caso antes de leer guerra y paz, puesto que, mejorarà tu forma de ver el mundo donde viviàn los rusos, comprenderlo y razonar sus precarias situaciònes.
    Traveller of the Century by Andrés Neuman (rrmmff2000)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (chrisharpe)
Europe (7)

Topics messagesLast message
75 Books Challenge for 2017 : Group read: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy 33 unread / 33Storeetllr, February 2017
2016 Category Challenge : Group Read: War and Peace 189 unread / 189mathgirl40, April 2016
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Intro thread (no spoilers) 42 unread / 42jnwelch, December 2015
Fans of Russian authors : New edition of War and Peace? 3 unread / 3DanMat, July 2012
History at 30,000 feet: The Big Picture : WWII, from the inside 10 unread / 10cbellia, February 2012
Fans of Russian authors : Who Translated the 1911 Everyman's Library War and Peace? 6 unread / 6DanMat, September 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 3, Part III 10 unread / 10Rebeki, July 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 3, Part II 10 unread / 10Rebeki, July 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 2, Part V 12 unread / 12Rebeki, July 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 2, Part IV 7 unread / 7Rebeki, July 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Epilogue II 9 unread / 9cushlareads, June 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 1, Part 3 spoiler thread 13 unread / 13Rebeki, June 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Epilogue I 8 unread / 8JanetinLondon, June 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 4, Part IV 7 unread / 7JanetinLondon, June 2011
Book talk : War And Peace 8 unread / 8Sandydog1, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 1, Part 2 spoiler thread 13 unread / 13Deern, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - "Wrap Up" (spoiler) Thread 6 unread / 6JanetinLondon, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 4, Part III 3 unread / 3JanetinLondon, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 4, Part II 6 unread / 6JanetinLondon, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 1, Part 1 spoiler thread 16 unread / 16JanetinLondon, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 4, Part I 7 unread / 7JanetinLondon, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 3, Part I 8 unread / 8cushlareads, May 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2011 : War and Peace Group Read 2011 - Vol 2, Part III 5 unread / 5Deern, March 2011
75 Books Challenge for 2009 : Group Read: War and Peace 237 unread / 237billiejean, December 2009
Fans of Russian authors : War and Peace 4 unread / 4erinn, April 2009
Fans of Russian authors : Tolstoy's War and Peace: more on the Volokhonsky/Pevear translation 1 unread / 1chrisharpe, May 2008
Fans of Russian authors : Tolstoy's War and Peace: comments on the Volokhonsky,/Pevear translation by Simon Schama, BBC R3 1 unread / 1chrisharpe, November 2007
Took 0.0223 seconds

English (334)  Spanish (10)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  Hebrew (2)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (358)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This book is so difficult to review; it's so vast and varied and my responses to it are vastly varied. If this turns into a sprawling mess, then it is only a dim and distorted image of the book itself, which is flawed, too.

THIS REVIEW HAS BEEN CURTAILED IN PROTEST AT GOODREADS' CENSORSHIP POLICY

See the complete review here:

Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
The same question arose in every soul: 'For what, for whom, must I kill and be killed?' ( )
  SolangePark | Jul 12, 2020 |
There are like three books in this one book; one is a fun dramatic court romp that rivals the melodrama of any soap opera, one is a meditation on the meaning of human life, and one is an extended screed against political and war historians which, while amusing, went on too long. The first of these I found delightful, like cotton candy; the second was fine, especially as it appeared mostly after I was already invested in these characters, which were really the strong point for me in this book (once you get used to the shifting names and the sheer number of Annas with last names you do NOT remember.) The characters were rich and flawed and did very stupid things and matured over the course of the story in ways that felt deeply human.

The meditations on history and the workings of war were vaguely interesting--funny, even, at first, and I delighted in the number of shots Tolstoy took at political historians who focus on individual people (mostly men) as genius--but over time it just got... boring? I was like "yes Leo that's great, thanks, can we get back to the other stuff please? I wanna know what's up with Pierre and how he's doing." It was just the least interesting part of this book to me, and it appeared more and more the deeper I got into it.

Regarding the translation: I have nothing to compare it to, as this is the only version of this book that I have read, but I thought this translation was good; very accessible without losing a sense of the historical setting/world being portrayed in the book. But I'm no translation expert, it just worked out pretty well for me here.

Basically if someone were to do an abridged version of this book that cut down on the portions about history I would be very happy to read it, but it didn't work for me alongside the other stuff here, which I enjoyed more. ( )
  aijmiller | Jul 11, 2020 |
It took me over 5 weeks to finish this book, but it was worth it. Tolstoy is wordy so sometimes I felt like I was swimming in words;however, I am still giving it 5 stars. In places, it reads like a history book as it does give a stunning account of Russian history. Watching the BBC version of W & P certainly helped as there are so many names, places and events.
It is much more, though, than a history book. I loved reading about the lives of Natasha, Pierre, Mary, and all of the rest. ( )
  travelgal | Jul 9, 2020 |
The novel is not just a masterclass in fiction, Ms Li believes, but a remedy for distress. At the most difficult times in her life, she says, she has turned to it again and again, reassured by its “solidity” in the face of uncertainty.
added by tim.taylor | editThe Economist (Apr 25, 2020)

I had it on my desk for about a year, and now I've given up and put it back on the shelf.
added by Sylak | editStylist [Issue 338], Paula Hawkins (Oct 12, 2016)

Tolstoy’s singular genius is to be able to take the torrent of conscious experience and master it. There are countless moments in the book where this happens ...

Tolstoy, Leoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunnigan, AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eberle, TheodorIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edmonds, RosemaryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eichenberg, FritzIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Faber zu Faur, Christian Wilhelm vonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fadiman, CliftonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

"Well, Prince, Genoa and Lucca are now no more than private estates of the Bonaparte family."
War is not a polite recreation but the vilest thing in life, and we ought to understand that and not play at war.
This is the complete work "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy. Do not combine with single volumes of the work, or with abridgments of the work.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141025115, 0140447938, 0451532112

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,297,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible