Life By Keith Richards by Keith Richards

Life By Keith Richards (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Keith Richards

Member:zootoon
Title:Life By Keith Richards
Authors:Keith Richards
Info:Kindle
Collections:Read, Your library

Life by Keith Richards (2010)

English (111)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All languages (117)
I'm not really sure what possessed me to listen to this. I'm definitely not a Stones fan, so really I don't know.

I did enjoy it, though. I think it probably helped that I'm not a fan-I wasn't disgusted/dismayed/distraught by any of the tidbits Richards wrote about. However, I was surprised by how much I didn't particularly care for Johnny Depp's share of the reading. He was very monotone and boring, whereas Joe Hurley was much more animated. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I don't often give 5 star ratings. Everything has to be right. I'd give this one 6 stars if I could. In listening to this book I felt I got to know Keith Richards, as a person , as opposed to just hearing a series of anecdotes from his life. He lets down his guard and tells his story as if he's talking to a friend. And it turns out that he is nothing like I would have imagined. Music is his first love, that much is clear. And his success is no accident. He is a lifelong learner, open to all kinds of experiences, and the result is that he grown constantly as a musician, songwriter and collaborator. He is also smart, sensitive, funny, sexy, shy, fiercely loyal, and brutally honest. I was sorry to reach the end of the book. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
what can i say that has not been said by so many reviewers? i actually put this book down for a few days here and there so the experience of reading it would take longer. the only criticism i have is that it wasn't twice as long. ( )
  burningdervish | Nov 29, 2016 |
Keef got lots to say, a little too much info, but overall a good read. ( )
  AnnAnderson | Jun 25, 2016 |
Over more than 500 pages, its narrative only rarely fails to grip. Written in collaboration with James Fox, I feel that Keef mostly talked and Fox merely tidied up the tape.

Keef’s seen it all, done it all, and somehow, miraculously, survived. As he gently advises the reader on more than one occasion when his story begins to get particularly wild and twisted, 'Don’t try this at home.’ It might have made a good subtitle.

The book captures the spirit of rock and roll, the nitty-gritty of life on the road, and just what it feels like to be a heroin addict who doesn’t know where his next fix is coming from.

It also movingly captures Richards’s extraordinary love of music. Keith Richards’s love for his often sorely vexed parents also shines through and there is a lovely tribute to his wife Patti Hansen.

Richards doesn’t avoid the dark stuff. It’s a chilling reminder that while Keef survived the ride, there were many others who didn’t. ( )
  Arkrayder | Apr 22, 2016 |
If you can remember the Sixties, blah blah blah. Boy can Keith Richards remember the Sixties, which is great. The real miracle is that he can remember the Seventies, considering that Keith’s poison was heroin, which would surely make performing in a high-energy band quite difficult, let alone raising two children, with a heroin-addicted Anita Pallenberg. So the very existence of this book is a marker against the ravages of time. It suggests that Richards’s memory is fresh in a way that his face isn’t. His memory has had a little help: there are letters he sent to relatives, and even a diary, as well as testaments from friends and garnering from other people’s memoirs. Goodness, there’s enough material to start an archive in somewhere like Texas, or for Andrew Motion to contemplate an official biography. For now, though, we have a lot of kind, perhaps even indulgent, transcription from James Fox.
added by lkernagh | editThe Telegraph, Tom Payne (Nov 5, 2010)

The survivor's story is one of the predominant narratives of our time. It usually traces a familiar arc from excess through despair to redemption, and, as such, allows us to enjoy the vicarious thrill of voyeurism within the framework of a cautionary or salutary tale. Life by Keith Richards, the most famous survivor of them all, breaks with this tradition insofar as it contains excess aplenty but hardly any despair and very little redemption. Keith did it all, had a hell of a good time, and survived to brag about it.
added by lkernagh | editThe Guardian, Sean O'Hagan (Oct 31, 2010)

Mick Jagger has always looked -- will always look -- like Mick Jagger. But try to connect the glum schoolboy-guitarist of early '60s black-and-white pics with the Keith Richards of today. A heap of living and occasional bouts of near-dying have gone into that flayed, weathered, kohl-eyed visage, whose topography suggests a moonscape irrigated with Jack Daniel's. After half a century on the road, Richards has the face he deserves -- but not, it appears, the brain. Against all pharmaceutical odds, he has held on to a substantial portion of his own history and has turned it into the most scabrously honest and essential rock memoir in a long time....And yet here he is, defiantly alive, and defiant in every other respect, too, his language just as politically incorrect, his judgments every bit as summary.

“Life” is way more than a revealing showbiz memoir. It is also a high-def, high-velocity portrait of the era when rock ’n’ roll came of age, a raw report from deep inside the counterculture maelstrom of how that music swept like a tsunami over Britain and the United States. It’s an eye-opening all-nighter in the studio with a master craftsman disclosing the alchemical secrets of his art. And it’s the intimate and moving story of one man’s long strange trip over the decades, told in dead-on, visceral prose without any of the pretense, caution or self-consciousness that usually attend great artists sitting for their self-portraits.

Keith Richardsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fox, Jamessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fox, Jamessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Depp, JohnnyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hurley, JoeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindert, Jolanda teTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Patricia
Why did we stop at the 4-Dice Restaurant in Fordyce, Arkansas, for lunch on Independence Day weekend?
Co-written with journalist James Fox.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031603438X, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, November 2010: It's hard to imagine a celebrity memoir--or any memoir for that matter--that is as easy to drink in (so to speak) as Keith Richards's Life. Die-hard Stones fans will love tales of the band's ascension from the "interval" band at the Marquee to the headliners at Super Bowl XL; guitar gearheads will scramble to sample the one lick that has eluded Richards for 49 years; and historians and romantics alike will swoon over the raspy, rambling, raucous detail of this portrait of the artist in situ. Yes, some tales are told, but Life is refreshingly not gossipy, mean-spirited, or sordid--or at least not more than the truth demands. Richards is as comfortable in his bones as a worn pair of boots, and Life captures the rhythm of his voice so effortlessly that reading his tale is like sharing a pint with an old friend--one who happens to be one of the most iconic guitarists of all time. --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:47 -0400)

Autobiography of the guitarist, songwriter, singer, and founding member of the Rolling Stones, Keith Richards. With the Rolling Stones, Keith Richards lived the original rock and roll life. He tells his story of life in the crossfire hurricane; his listening obsessively to Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters records, learning guitar and forming a band with Mick Jagger and Brian Jones, the Rolling Stones' first fame and the notorious drug busts that led to his enduring image as outlaw folk hero, creating immortal riffs like the ones in "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Honky Tonk Women." He discusses falling in love with Anita Pallenberg and the death of Brian Jones, his tax exile in France, wildfire tours of the U.S., isolation and addiction, as well as falling in love with Patti Hansen, and his bitter estrangement from Jagger and subsequent reconciliation. He talks about his marriage, family, solo albums and Xpensive Winos; the road that goes on forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,681,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible