Dark Matter by Michelle Paver

Dark Matter (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Michelle Paver

Member:EllieH
Title:Dark Matter
Authors:Michelle Paver
Info:Orion (2011), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

Dark Matter by Michelle Paver (2010)

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (bibliobeck)
    bibliobeck: Both beautifully written and menacing rather than horrific, both about men alone in baren environments and both perfect for reading on a cold night in front of the fire!
    Cold Earth by Sarah Moss (alalba)
    The Terror by Dan Simmons (Jannes)
    Jannes: More Arctic horror. Simmons might is a bit more viceral, but the heart of the horror - the cold, darkness and isolation of the arctic north - is the same in both novels.

English (28)  Swedish (1)  All languages (29)
This is a very suspenseful and - in more than one sense - very dark story about a haunting during the Arctic winter. Due to a set of unforeseen circumstances, Jack Miller is the sole remaining member of a small research expedition in a lonely cabin during the Arctic winter, where the sun never rises for four months. The tension mounts as the light disappears, the isolation increases, and the rationally inexplicable occurrences become more frequent. The ending is quite exhausting and suitably dramatic.

As a sufferer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, the prospect for me of four months of total darkness 24 hours a day is the ultimate living nightmare, so this novel had a particular impact on me, especially reading it during the dark, slightly limbo days between Christmas and New Year, though we have at least been blessed with quite a bit of sunshine, which reminds one how relative these things are.

A powerful read, though I initially found Jack a slightly irritating character, and the other expedition members are somewhat thinly drawn (with the partial exception of Gus) and a bit stereotypical. ( )
  john257hopper | Dec 29, 2014 |
Really gruesome at the end. Left a horrible vision that lingered rather badly for a few days. I wouldn't say it kept me awake, but while I was awake at night it kept repeating on me. Very well written which its why it kept repeating but I don't want to read too many like that! This is one of a number of fictional accounts based on expeditions to the Arctic (last one 'The Voyage of the Narwal')and I have another in my pile of books. After that I shall read about the voyage of the Fram and get back to real horrors..... ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Atmospheric ghost story set in the Arctic - with a (slight) gay theme. Has its spooky moments - fairly enjoyable. ( )
  Dickon.Edwards | Jun 30, 2013 |
Good ghost story, had a great spooky atmosphere through out. ( )
  Yogiboo | Mar 15, 2013 |
Dark Matter is written in the form of main character, Jack's journal and follows his journey from the first moment he meets his expedition companions for a drink in London right through until just before he is rescued from the Arctic. After that point, Jack refuses to write in his journal but we get a narrative from inside his head instead, which brings more urgency in one of the more action filled parts of the story.

Over the course of his Arctic expedition Jack changes as a character. At the start of the novel, in London, he is a solitary person who is quite looking forward to the peace and stillness of the Arctic. But by the time he is truly alone in the Arctic wilderness he realises what it's like to have friends and he realises that he does need people after all.

I wasn't really sure about the 'ghost' that Jack was seeing. I couldn't work out if it was real or if it was his imagination playing tricks on him because he was alone in an endless night. But whatever it was, the author built up the tension really well and as I was reading I had a strong feeling that something bad was about to happen. It was the sort of feeling where I didn't want to turn the page because I was scared, but had to carry on because I was desperate to know what was coming next.

This is one of those books where although it seems like a straight-forward ghost story, there's definitely a psychological element too as Jack seems to slide into madness. A great book for anyone who enjoys a good scare now and then! ( )
  26kathryn | Mar 12, 2013 |
Dear Dr Murchison, Forgive me for this rather belated reply to your letter.
This is a bad mistake. The one who walks. You have seen it. Ja?
Out of nowhere, for no reason, I was afraid.My skin prickled. My heart thudded in my throat.My body knew before I did that I was not alone.
Thirty yards away on the rocks, something moved

What is it?
What does it want?
Why is it angry with me?

January 1937

Clouds of war are gathering over a fogbound London. Twenty-eight-year-old Jack is poor, lonely and desperate to change his life. So, when he's offered the chance to be the wireless operator on an Arctic expedition, he jumps at it.

Spirits are high as the ship leaves Norway — five men and eight huskies, crossing the Barents Sea by the light of the midnight sun. At last they reach the remote, uninhabited bay where they will camp for the next year. Gruhuken.

But the Arctic summer is brief. As night returns to claim the land, Jack feels a creeping unease. One by one, his companions are forced to leave. He faces a stark choice. Stay or go.

Soon he will see the last of the sun, as the polar night engulfs the camp in months of darkness. Soon he will reach the point of no return — when the sea will freeze, making escape impossible.

And Gruhuken is not uninhabited.

Jack is not alone.

Something walks there in the dark.

Out of nowhere, for no reason, I was afraid.
My skin prickled. My heart thudded in my throat.
My body knew before I did that I was not alone.

Thirty yards away on the rocks, something moved.

It's winter in the
Arctic, and there's something
Stirring in the dark ...
(passion4reading)

January 1937. 28-year-old Jack is poor, lonely and desperate to change his life. So when he's offered the chance to join an Arctic expedition, he jumps at it. After they reach the remote, uninhabited bay where they will camp for the next year, Gruhuken, Jack feels a creeping unease. One by one, his companions are forced to leave.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,146,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible