Even Silence Has an End: My Six Years of…

Even Silence Has an End: My Six Years of Captivity in the Colombian Jungle (2010)

by Ingrid Betancourt

English (10)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (13)
Without a doubt, Ingrid Betancourt’s Even Silence Has an End is one of the most heart-breaking, gut-wrenching memoirs I’ve read in a long time. In 2002, Betancourt was campaigning to become President of Colombia as a Green Party member. At a traffic checkpoint in Colombia’s DMZ, she was kidnapped by a member of the revolutionary FARC, and then held for more than six years. She was kept with many other captured people from around the world. She found herself among a mix of nationalities, social statuses, and walks of life. Her story is one of hope and loss, of freedom and failure.

Betancourt’s imprisonment caught the attention of the world. As a dual Colombian-French citizen-diplomat, several world governments tried to engage the Colombians for her release. Each year she was captured, at least one rescue attempt or negotiation was started, but it wasn’t until 2008 that she was freed from captivity. Her experiences in the jungle prison are both harrowing and enlightening. While there are some to dismiss her retelling of the events as either politically motivated or self-serving, they are still true. While imprisoned, she endured not only physical torture, but also news of her father’s death. Through all this, she still find ways to connect with those around her and not fall too deeply into despair. It is a long tale, told with excruciating detail, and very much demands your attentions. A lengthy but ultimately necessary book. ( )
  NielsenGW | Aug 10, 2014 |
While the story of her capture and captivity is gripping, the memoir aspect is highly disappoint. Situations in a quite complex combination of historical ill-will, struggles for autonomy, institutional brutality, and politics are given simplistically. Her thinking is not only black and white, she seems incapable of even attempting to present herself and her choices in an honest light. Seems more like pre-candidacy propaganda than a real attempt to share something of herself. ( )
  Kimberlynwm | Aug 11, 2013 |
A gut-wrenching memoir that highlights the extremes of humanity. ( )
  Joybrarian | Mar 31, 2013 |
resilience in 6 years of jungle captivity.
  ammurphy | Dec 14, 2011 |
I like this book becauseit is very interesting, and I like interesting books. my favorite part is when she is trying to escape. ( )
  ValentinaMartinez11 | Mar 9, 2011 |
To my brothers who are still held hostage.
To my companions in captivity.
To those who fought for our freedom.
To Melanie and Lorenzo.
To my mother.
December 2002. I had made my decision to escape.

Ingrid Betancourt tells the story of her captivity in the Colombian jungle, sharing teachings of resilience, resistance, and faith. The facts of her story are astounding, but it is Betancourt's indomitable spirit that drives this very special account, bringing life, nuance, and profundity to the narrative.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible