Even Silence Has an End: My Six Years of…

Even Silence Has an End: My Six Years of Captivity in the Colombian Jungle (2010)

by Ingrid Betancourt

292None39,137 (3.9)4

English (9)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
While the story of her capture and captivity is gripping, the memoir aspect is highly disappoint. Situations in a quite complex combination of historical ill-will, struggles for autonomy, institutional brutality, and politics are given simplistically. Her thinking is not only black and white, she seems incapable of even attempting to present herself and her choices in an honest light. Seems more like pre-candidacy propaganda than a real attempt to share something of herself. ( )
  Kimberlynwm | Aug 11, 2013 |
A gut-wrenching memoir that highlights the extremes of humanity. ( )
  Joybrarian | Mar 31, 2013 |
resilience in 6 years of jungle captivity.
  ammurphy | Dec 14, 2011 |
I like this book becauseit is very interesting, and I like interesting books. my favorite part is when she is trying to escape. ( )
  ValentinaMartinez11 | Mar 9, 2011 |
This book is not a cheery read. Six and a half long years in capticity told in a way that leaves you in awe of her abilty to remember the tiniest of details. I was moved by the book and am astounded that she was able to go through what she did and survive without going insane. It details her five escapes and the constant epic marches through the jungle as the FARC had to keep moving constanty to avoid the columbian military. It also details her relationships with her fellow hostages and her captors. I was moved by her strength, her honesty and her ablity to write about the ordeal in a poetic, spititual and philisophical way. A fascinating read on many levels. The book stays with you long after you have finished it. It is first and foremost an investigation in to human nature and the worst and best things we are capable of. In these most awful of circumstances freindships, loyalty and love persist and keep her from the depths of dispair. ( )
  samanthafreeman | Feb 7, 2011 |
To my brothers who are still held hostage.
To my companions in captivity.
To those who fought for our freedom.
To Melanie and Lorenzo.
To my mother.
December 2002. I had made my decision to escape.

Ingrid Betancourt tells the story of her captivity in the Colombian jungle, sharing teachings of resilience, resistance, and faith. The facts of her story are astounding, but it is Betancourt's indomitable spirit that drives this very special account, bringing life, nuance, and profundity to the narrative.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible